Author Topic: My Thoughts on CTDS  (Read 6857 times)

Lord Homonculous

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
My Thoughts on CTDS
« on: January 26, 2009, 01:48:17 pm »
Okay. So I thought I'd pop in here and offer up some of my impressions, now that I've more or less absorbed all of CTDS' new features and such. Bear with me, as I haven't had time to read through all five pages of posts in this thread before posting my thoughts... so some of what I say may have already been said before.

As a longtime Chrono fan, I picked up this game despite my general aversion to the Squeenix tendency to remake classics rather than produce actual new games of quality. (but that's a rant that doesn't belong here!)

On the whole, I like CTDS. Its new features (the Dimensional Vortex and the Lost Sanctum) are worthy additions to the Chrono universe, and the retention of the various meta features from the PS release make this very near to a perfect version of Chrono Trigger.

However, I can't stand the retranslation. It's the only thing that keeps me from giving this version an unqualified 10-score.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm big on the English language. A lot of Japanese RPGs from the 16-bit era clearly don't share that affinity with me. Awkward phraseology, the occasional grammatical hiccup and a number of other problems plague these games. I'm well aware that some of these traits are comical at best, embarrassing at worst.

But before I'm a language snob, I'm first and foremost very sentimental. I fell in love with the game with and despite its shoddy translation; the dialogue as it was became part of its charm, and something that was overlooked easy enough because of how amazing (and, after almost 15 years, enduring) Chrono Trigger's gameplay, graphics, score and story are.

That said, I could abide (and even understand the desire to) "clean up" some of the dialogue. I'll concede that Frog sounds a little less ridiculous with his misuse of modern Elizabethan English (the next person who says that Frog speaks "Old English" or "Shakespeare," or who claims that Frog's speech is an example of an "accent" [do you people even know what an "accent" is?] is going to get a book thrown at them), especially given that he seems to be the ONLY person in the Middle Ages who speaks this way. In fact, after a full playthrough, I find that I actually do like the new dialogue changes because they do seem to help the game to "mature" along with me 15 years later. I don't like it, but I can live with it.

The new content redeems CTDS, in the eyes of an old sentimental gamer like myself. Both the Dimensional Vortex and the Lost Sanctum are excellent in terms of new content; they provide a small amount of extra story (without overburdening the game's original plot), an extra "something to do" at key points in the game's progression (semi-spoiler: running Lost Sanctum immediately after it becomes available is a GREAT way to build up your last few techs, get some neat loot upgrades and bridge the level-gap between Crono and the rest of your party [while the spikey-haired one is off being temporarily dead]) -- and did I mention the new loot already? (Marle's new Venus Bow is probably one of the single best improvements to the entire game)

My ultimate rating for CTDS is 8.5.  For whatever that's worth.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: My Thoughts on CTDS
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 04:01:08 pm »
That's probably the best user review of CTDS I read so far. While I prefer the new translation as a whole, I do miss some of the old dialogue, but who am I to pick and choose which?

As for Frog's dialect, I always thought it was to emphasize the fact that he was an outsider. He lives on his own in a forest without anyone to communicate to. Of course he'd sound different from everyone else. Sure it was a little much, but I saw it as a symbolic thing.

8.5 is around the score I'd give it as well.

On a side note, it'd be really nice if the Ending Log let players actually view the endings rather than sum them up.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 04:13:11 pm »
I like the new translation for being more accurate. I don't like the new translation for still not being as accurate as I'd like it to be. The Lost Sanctum was ok for what it was, but felt very cut & paste at times. The Dimensional Vortexes were a little better in that regard and the bosses within were nice diversions as well. Of course, I think most everyone feels the same about the Arena: Lamesauce (but it's nice that you can get more Tabs there).

I feel like there should already be a thread for CTDS reviews...am I wrong? Is it on another page and I just haven't checked? I suppose we'll never know...

No version of Chrono Trigger (no, not even the PSX one) gets below at least a 9 in my book.

Are you a fan, or a mouse!? Do it in one gulp!

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 05:52:43 pm »
No version of Chrono Trigger (no, not even the PSX one) gets below at least a 9 in my book.

I'd take marks off it simply for the lack of effort put into the Dimensional Vortex dungeons and Lost Sanctum. I thought the Arena feature was entertaining, but it needed more than just a barebones setup; it could've included wi-fi support and a tournament mode or something.

Simply put, after what, 8 years, we get "Oh yeah I'm gonna trash your kingdom btw" and a few half-assed dungeons. As for the Dream Devourer, possible Chronopolis shout out and new ending though, they were fantastic.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 05:54:04 pm »
The only reason it doesn't get a 9 or higher for me is the fact they went the extra half mile instead of the extra mile. It's a great port of CT. In fact, I consider it the definitive version.

That being said, the Lost Sanctum was extremely boring. The Arena was simply ok. The Dimensional Vortex was fun, but even that seemed forced at times. The extras were all great, but like I said give us the option to view the endings instead of reading a summary of them.

So 8.5. It's a great port of my favorite RPG of all time.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2009, 06:25:00 pm »
Meh, I see complaining about some of that stuff is like saying you didn't like the sleeping ending with the Nu & the frog running around...It doesn't tarnish the game itself, it's just additional fun (adjective debatable) stuff you can do.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2009, 07:18:23 pm »
Meh, I see complaining about some of that stuff is like saying you didn't like the sleeping ending with the Nu & the frog running around...It doesn't tarnish the game itself, it's just additional fun (adjective debatable) stuff you can do.

I totally agree, and if this were the first version of CT I would haven given it 9 or 10, but this is a port that fans have waited years for, so the extra fun stuff could have been more...extra and fun. :-)

Still don't get me wrong. CTDS is far above the majority of game I play.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2009, 07:59:27 pm »
I think that ports aren't really just for fans, but for those who haven't yet to experience it and it should be judged with that in mind when rated...and it is SUCH a step up from the PSX port (useful beastiary, no loading issues and yet it still has the anime sequences) that I can't see it as anything but win.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 08:29:41 pm »

There are some loading times (not a "Now Loading" Screen but you get the idea) but they weren't horrifically long, thankfully.

The New Content

The Dimensional Vortices provided extra places to explore (I mean, there are new areas in there, too, like the Hallowed Falls, the Volcano, etc.), while the Lost Sanctum combined with it gave us something to speculate about. And then we have the Dream Devourer, which hints at Schala's fate and shows what becomes of Magus after the defeat of Lavos.

The Script

There is also the new script. It's more faithful to the Japanese version, but like Trans, I don't think it's faithful ENOUGH to the Japanese version. And, to be honest, the Compendium translation isn't as good as I expected, but it was good in its own right, and it gave me good reading.

CTDS gets an 8.75 from me.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 08:36:10 pm »
And, to be honest, the Compendium translation isn't as good as I expected, but it was good in its own right, and it gave me good reading.

What were you expecting? I haven't seen it advertised as anything but the direct translation that it is.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 09:33:28 pm »
I figured a separate translation that was neither direct, CTDS, nor that crapfest that was CT SNES.

Try comparing all three translations (SNES, DS, Compendium Japanese-Direct-To-English) and see which is better. More than likely, it'll be the Japanese, but then again.

I once had the idea of integrating all three official scripts into one script, using the best of all three scripts for their most appropriate places (Frog's lines in SNES translated into normal speech since I didn't like the Old English dialect).

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 10:03:45 am »
I think that ports aren't really just for fans, but for those who haven't yet to experience it and it should be judged with that in mind when rated...and it is SUCH a step up from the PSX port (useful beastiary, no loading issues and yet it still has the anime sequences) that I can't see it as anything but win.

Good point.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 01:13:26 pm »
I figured a separate translation that was neither direct, CTDS, nor that crapfest that was CT SNES.

Try comparing all three translations (SNES, DS, Compendium Japanese-Direct-To-English) and see which is better. More than likely, it'll be the Japanese, but then again.

I once had the idea of integrating all three official scripts into one script, using the best of all three scripts for their most appropriate places (Frog's lines in SNES translated into normal speech since I didn't like the Old English dialect).

Sounds like you want something more along the lines of Doctor L's re-retranslation. Admittedly I haven't tried it though because it wasn't something I was interested in (the Compendium's was perfectly fine by me).

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 02:21:57 pm »
I just finally beat the Dream Devourer, I got 100% completion on everything. I was disappointed that the ending was not any longer.

And I thought that the battle with the DD had no background music? Or maybe when I heard that, the topic was about the TD. ^^;

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 03:30:42 pm »
Yeah, there was no BGM in the Time Devourer battle in Cross. They figured it would be better without music, given the SFX used in the background.

The Dream Devourer battle, on the other hand, uses World Revolution as BGM.