Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!  (Read 27679 times)

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
  • You can't spell "PIMP" without "P-I-P."
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!
« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2009, 03:21:02 pm »
cloudvii, I hear ya.  I'm going to try and get through the Mitsuda interview next.  Should be interesting.

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2009, 02:42:12 pm »
Hello everyone.  The following is the first part of the interview with Yasunori Mitsuda.  It covers page 586 and a few paragraphs of 587, up to the point where they start discussing the DS version (which I realize is probably what is of the greatest interest to many... can't play all my cards just yet).  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did; I think it has some interesting insight into Yasunori's career and thought process.  It also presents a slightly different version of his conversation with Sakaguchi, as it had been reported previously that his salary was a key point in that discussion.  Well, I leave you to make of it what you will. 

It goes without saying that this is solely for educational purposes.  Anyone who wants to reference or in any way make use of this particular translation, please contact me before doing so.  Much appreciated.  I should also point out that I definitely took some liberties to "naturalize" the interview.  This is a far cry from a word-for-word, literal translation.  I think it worked out fine, but some people may find it a bit too cavalier.  C'est la vie.  I'll try to get the last part of the interview up as soon as I get a chance.  楽しみにしてね^^

-- Chrono Trigger is crammed full of every idea I had about music at the time. --

Mitsuda Yasunori
Interview

When attempting to convey the charm of Chrono Trigger, one cannot forget to include the music of Yasunori Mitsuda.  Whether it be stories from the days of the SNES version’s development or concerns about the DS version’s sound, we went and spoke with Mr. Mitsuda about all kinds of interesting topics.

I feel the “wild, unrefined quality” lends a lot of power to the music.

The SNES version of Chrono Trigger marked your debut at a composer in the game industry.  Once more, could you please tell us how you came to be in charge of the music?

Mitsuda:  From the start, I joined Square (now Square-Enix) because I wanted to compose songs.  However, back then there were only a few people who could make sound effects and work as sound engineers, so for the first two years that was the only type of job they’d give me.  Then, one day I went directly to Mr. Sakaguchi (Executive Producer Hironobu Sakaguchi) and said, “I want to write songs.  I don’t care what kind of project it is, just please let me give it a shot.”  At that time Mr. Sakaguchi said, “All right then, try this,” referring to some project that had just come up, a game called Chrono Trigger.  So, it wasn’t like, “We need you for this project or else we’re doomed.”  It was more like, “Well, if you really want to give it a shot, knock yourself out.” The whole decision was surprisingly nonchalant.

But, as far as you were concerned, this was finally the chance you had been waiting for, right?

Mitsuda:  Well, to tell you truth, even when I was working in sound effects, I was still secretly writing and compiling songs.  But no matter how many I made, I could never present them to anyone, so I was really frustrated those two years.  Because of that, when I was assigned to Chrono Trigger, even though I had technically just begun work as a composer, I would go through the pile of songs I had already stored up and choose one that I thought fit the game world.  If I felt that I didn’t already have a song to fit a particular scene, then I would go back and create a new piece of music.

Is the game’s main theme, “Chrono Trigger,” also one of the pieces you had stockpiled earlier?

Mitsuda: That song, “Chrono Trigger,” was one that I wrote only when the game’s development had begun in earnest.  I wrote the whole thing in one sitting; I just couldn’t contain my excitement at finally being able to write music.  The day after I was told, “Well, we’re leaving it up to you,” the final version was just about finished.  I think the feeling of careening along in the intro part is all of my pent-up desire to be a composer finally bursting into existence.

Chrono Trigger spans several time periods, each composed of varied genres.  This is another one of the game’s unique characteristics, isn’t it?

Mitsuda: I have always liked different genres myself, so challenging myself to create a variety of songs – without just milking one genre – was really a lot of fun.   The “me” that existed back then, every time he thought, “I’d like try and make this kind of song,” he took all of those ideas and jammed them into the game.  In a way, I suppose you could say that’s the meaning of “Chrono Trigger.”  If I go back and try to listen to those songs again now, there are a lot of parts that are rough around the edges.  It’s kind of embarrassing, but at the same time I feel like if you look at it in a positive way the wild, unrefined quality brings a lot of power to the work.

In your mind, is their a single theme that unites your entire oeuvre?

Mitsuda: If I were to try and put it into a few words, I’d say, “Music that can conjure up a scene.”  Take, for example, the Middle Ages world map theme: rolling fields stretching into the distance, a lone windmill… I am driven to create the type of song that can allow you to clearly visualize that scene, even if you just listen to the music without looking at the screen.  Songs can really strengthen something’s meaning.  That’s because it makes it easy for most people to imagine the same scene and, when coupled with the game’s visuals, it can create for players an even stronger impression of that scene.  With regard to that concept, it’s something that I knew I absolutely wanted to do ever since I began working on Chrono Trigger.

Which is your favorite song?

Mitsuda: Though I enjoy songs such as the main theme, I’d have to say the ending music, “To Far Away Times,” has a very special place in my heart.  I’d go so far as to say it’s a song that I may not be able to write now.  That song was based on a piece I wrote a long time ago.  I mixed in a phrase from Chrono Trigger’s main theme and reworked it a bit, imagining scenes with Chrono and company and the thoughts that come with them.  I wanted the piece to capture the kind of feelings you can’t truly express in words like, “After coming back from a long journey, I’m happy that we saved our planet’s future, but I’m sad because now I have to say good bye to all my friends.”

{NOTE:  “To Far Away Times” is, as far as I can tell, literally translated as “To His Direction When Time Becomes Far Away” or “To Him When Time Grows Distant.”  Obviously, this doesn’t quite have the ring of the name they eventually decided on.}

{NOTE:  I chose the word “scenes” to describe what Yasunori is discussing about halfway through his response.  I think this makes sense in context, and he uses a Japanese word for scene [シーン] several times over the course of this interview.  However, I do have to point out that after zooming into the PDF a million times there is not doubt that the actual word in the Japanese version of the interview is ジーン.  That means “gene,” like DNA and all that good stuff.  Now, he could be using the term in a poetic way, referring to the more meme-like concepts of Chrono Trigger that continue to propagate themselves in the minds of players long after the adventure has concluded.  He could.  But I really don’t think so.  I honestly suspect it is a typo as the two words are very similar – just two small dots separate them – and the idea of “scenes” fits much more readily with his response than that of some impromptu discussion of genetics.  Regardless, for the sake of accuracy I just wanted to make a note.  I’m certainly open to different opinions on this one.}

Did you really watch the in-game ending and then write that song?

Mitsuda: No, the visuals still weren’t done, so I composed the song first, based on what I had heard from someone in the planning department.  Then the programmers created visuals that would fit the music.  I had heard that the final sequence would show Chrono and company flying around in Epoch the so I thought I’d like to create a song with the feeling that you were careening through the entirety of the Chrono Trigger story.  I’m sure you agree that the programmers did a great job matching visuals to that idea.

{NOTE:  The Epoch is literally the Shiruba-do/Silver Bird, likely a pun similar to Jenosaido-mu/Genocide Dome, the Japanese name for Geno Dome}

By the way, there is a song called “MITSUDA” in the Music Room of the Gallery (see page 569) that doesn’t seem to be used anywhere in the game…

Mitsuda: You see I originally made that song to be used in the Developers’ Room (see page 562).  I had heard that you can do whatever you want in the Developer’s Room, so I was going to have that song play when my comment came up.  However, in the end it wasn’t used [smiles].
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 10:57:09 pm by Lorenz »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2009, 02:51:11 pm »
Fantastic work Lorenz! Can't wait for the remaining questions.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2009, 03:13:58 pm »
That was a really enjoyable read, thanks a ton Lorenz!

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2009, 04:14:20 pm »
By the way, there is a song called “MITSUDA” in the Music Room of the Gallery (see page 569) that doesn’t seem to be used anywhere in the game…

Mitsuda: You see I originally made that song to be used in the Developers’ Room (see page 562).  I had heard that you can do whatever you want in the Developer’s Room, so I was going to have that song play when my comment came up.  However, in the end it wasn’t used.

That's strange, if they put the song in the music room, why didn't they use it.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2009, 04:48:58 pm »
Thanks Lorenz!

Kind of sad how Mitsuda thinks To Far Away Times is a song that he "may not be able to write now". On the other hand, it's nice to see that the words "Chrono Trigger" mean something to him (i.e. it's not just a nice-sounding title). The definition he gives basically matches the one that Masato Kato put in Chrono Cross in the ghost children's speeches.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2009, 07:07:13 pm »
Many thanks Lorenz--that was very enlightening. I'm kinda intrigued by this MITSUDA song...pretty much the same way utunnels is.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2009, 07:37:06 pm »
I think the MITSUDA song is the Rat-a-Tat-Tat- It's Mitsuda! Song.

Mitsuda: You see I originally made that song to be used in the Developers’ Room (see page 562).  I had heard that you can do whatever you want in the Developer’s Room, so I was going to have that song play when my comment came up.  However, in the end it wasn’t used.

It makes sense to me. I hope that helped. I have no idea how it could of though.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2009, 09:26:55 pm »
Yeah, it's "Rat-a-Tat-Tat- It's Mitsuda!" in the English translation, and "MITSUDA" (written in our latin alphabet) in the Japanese version.

Harro

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2009, 01:37:55 pm »
YES! thank you Lorenz
I translate this into French now. FaustWolf can you send me the pages please?? I want to write directly on the scans. If you can't , not a problem
(Yes my english is bad :mrgreen: )

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2009, 05:46:37 pm »
Thanks for the support and kind words, everyone.  I'm glad you enjoyed the interview.  Also, thanks for the info on the "MITSUDA" song title in the English version.  I saw that the Japanese name was already written in the Latin alphabet and figured I was good to go.  I should've known nothing is ever that simple :)

So, I should have the last part of the interview up pretty soon.  Especially so Harro can finish up doing the French scanlations, as well.  This board is a veritable Epcot center of gamers...

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 07, 2009, 01:55:12 pm »
Here you go.  The final part of the Yasunori interview:

The Theme for the DS Version’s Audio: “A Perfect Replica of the SNES Version”

How did you feel when you heard that the game was going to be rereleased on the DS?

Mitsuda: Well, it’s pretty complicated, right?  I mean, I am extremely happy, but at the same time I was really inexperienced at the time I was working on Chrono Trigger.  Putting that part of me out there into the world again is painful [smiles].  It’s a battle between my joy that there are people playing Chrono Trigger once more… and my embarrassment.  I think it’s both.

You are officially involved with the DS version as the Music Supervisor , but is there a specific area where you are focusing your energy?

Mitsuda: I think a lot of people who were elementary and middle school students when Chrono Trigger came out on the SNES are now adults and are saying, “Maybe I’ll play a little Chrono Trigger again.”  The image they have of the original game is vividly burned into their memories.  Players are sharp, so if there is even the smallest change in the music they are going to be able to tell the difference.  And if that’s the case, we have to work to make this version a perfect replica of the SNES version.  That said, because the Super Nintendo version was made using considerably older equipment, we can’t just bring it over to the DS “as-is.”  So we search for sounds in the latest synthesizers that are as close as possible to the original sounds and use them to create the music.  From the perspective of a composer, this is an unusually arduous task.  But if you think about the fan’s feelings, wouldn’t they be happier if the music was just like they remember it from the SNES original?

On the other side of the coin, 13 years have passed since the SNES version was released.  I think there are also a lot of players who have never experienced the original game.  How do you feel about that?

Mitsuda: With today’s games, it’s expected that they’re going to have full symphonic scores blaring out of the speakers, right?  So, I’m extremely interested in how today’s players will feel when they play Chrono Trigger and hear the music, which was originally composed on a system that only had eight sounds.  I would be especially happy if I could have elementary and middle school students, people for whom the DS version is their first version, send me an e-mail or post their impressions on my home page’s bulletin board.  Also, since this version of Chono Trigger is on a handheld, I think there will be a lot of people who will end up playing with the volume turned down.  By all means, I would like to encourage them to plug in their headphones and listen to the music while they play.  That is my heart-felt request, as a composer [smiles].

{NOTE: This is a request that would be particularly important in Japan, where the idea of playing music or making noise in general in a lot of public settings is frowned upon.  If you were to play your DS on the bus or train or while waiting at a store, you would be expected to have the volume off so as not be a nuisance.  With that mindset, I can definitely see why Yasuori would specifically implore people to bust out the headphones since they would be doing themselves (and him) a great disservice if they never really listened to the game.}

(2008/11/14 Recorded at Square-Enix)

Comment at the bottom of page 587, next to his picture:
I’m extremely interested in how kids today will feel about this game’s music.

{NOTE: A quotation is a quotation.  It can’t change, so some people may wonder why sometimes the text in the body of the interview and pull-out blurbs scattered on the pages don’t always match in this translation.  That’s because they don’t always match in the Japanese either.  Several of the headers and pull-outs are paraphrases, and thusly not put in actual quotation marks though they are based on something Yasunori said in his responses.}

Written at the bottom of page 587, below his picture:
*Yasunori Mitsuda’s official homepage “Our Millennial Fair” can be found at:
http://www.procyon-studio.com/

Written at the top right of page 587, in the Character Profile Info-Box:
Yasunori Mitsuda
He joined then-Square in 1992.  He began his career as a composer on Chrono Trigger.  Since 1998, he has been a multi-faceted freelancer, working on varied game, anime and movie projects.

Written on the far right side of page 587:
Chapter 8:  Secrets

Complete Ending Guide
Complete Gallery Guide
Secret 30
Interview {highlighted in white box}

... And there you have it.  The stirring conclusion to the legendary Yasunori Mitsuda interview  All the usual stuff applies:  This is just for educational purposes.  Drop me a line if you have questions, comments or requests... yada yada yada.  I hope everyone enjoyed the interview and wish Harro the best of luck in bringing it to our French friends around the globe, as well.  As for me, I came away from this interview with a real positive view of Yasunori.  He seems like a thoughtful and interesting fella; I can see why he has excelled so greatly in his field.  Here's hoping we will hear even more from him in the future.  Now, I'm off to go check out his webpage  :lee:

Harro

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 07, 2009, 02:01:44 pm »
Oh yeah! I'm just finishing the French translation of the first part. Let's go for the second.

Thank you Lorenz , you're the best .Good Job

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2009, 05:51:21 pm »
Harro does some kickass text-blanking on scans. Do throw some more my way by PM as you get the blanks done Harro, and we'll use those as the templates. Truly an international effort! :lee:

Lee

• Porrean (+50)
  • Harle fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Ocean Pie
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2009, 09:07:20 pm »
Thanks a ton for your fantastic contribution Lorenz.

Truly a very interesting interview.
It's amusing to learn that Mitsuada was actually a little embarassed about CT DS release and the fact that people and younger folks might (re)discover his first songs.
With his honorable modesty, he may know that even after 13 years, a lot of people still consider that Chrono Trigger's soundtracks is one of the best of all times and I'm part of them.

Once again, a billion thanks Lorenz.
Good luck for your translation Harro, and congrats for your initiative.