Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!  (Read 27343 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile

Several Compendium users have received Chrono Trigger: Ultimania today and Abel has made scans of pages suspected of containing info about the Dream Devourer, developer interviews, and character descriptions that may yet shed more light on the Chronoverse that we weren't privy to before.

We definitely need translators so that the English-speaking fan community can find out the newly revealed info. Here's the protocol for assigning translations so translators don't step on each other's toes. The following pages are highest priority as far as we can tell:

*pp. 4-5, Table of Contents (Claimed by Lorenz)
*pp.408-409, the walkthrough portion covering the Darkness Beyond Time (Claimed by Magus22 & friends)
*pp. 523-524, which contain boss descriptions for Evil Marle, Dalton in the DV, and Evil Crono.
*pp. 526-527, which contain boss descriptions for Evil Lucca and the Dream Devourer.
*p.581, which contains a blurb about the ending, the Dream Devourer, and Dalton in the Dimensional Vortex. (Claimed by Lorenz)
*pp.582-583, "Mail Interview" that may have juicy canonical details.(Claimed by ShikiGami)
*pp.584-585, "Idea Sketch" pages already translated by ShikiGami. Let's get those little blurbs near the sketches translated too, if possible. Abel's providing better scans if quality of the scans I posted is an issue.

Of lower priority for now are:

pp.586-587, an interview with Yasunori Mitsuda
pp.22-39, with character descriptions for the main characters and all major NPCs. It sounds like a lot, but there's a bunch of stats and minor things thrown into the mix.

If you're interested in helping us translate, post in this news thread with an indication of which section you're most interested in and either ZeaLitY or FaustWolf will PM you with the scans.

For now, I'll leave you with some beautiful, beautiful character sketches apparently produced during the earliest stages of Chrono Trigger's development...
[hidden]

I wonder who the awesome old man was supposed to be? The eighth playable character, maybe...? We won't know until the images are translated! AAAAHHH!
[/hidden]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 11:04:49 pm by FaustWolf »

Abel

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I want to know. What am I? Who will define me?
    • View Profile
    • XenoTensei
Re: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators desperately needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 11:42:02 pm »
Ack, those are way too small to be considered scans ;)

Let me help you guys out with that. I'm in the process of scanning select pages, but it if anyone has any requests let me know and I'll post them here  :D

- Abel

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators desperately needed!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 11:45:41 pm »
For some reason I can't get either Imageshack or Photobucket to display the images in full size. However, if you have a really high-quality scanner, you can feel free to scan the pages I did over again. I'm sending them to you via PM so you can judge based on the full size pics.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 12:01:57 am »
That old man looks like a He-man character ha!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 12:08:29 am »
If anyone knows ANYTHING about the Benny Matsuyama short story that was supposed to be in this, please enligthen us...I'm actually doubting that it was included after all, but I'm hopefully wrong about that. It would have been something interesting to argue over in terms of canonicity. Canonical-ness. Uh, canonicality.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 12:47:10 am »
I am o' so curious... where have you acquired the Ultimania?

Also, there are some translators here, but I also could have some of my Japanese friends translate some stuff. Let me know.

Abel

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • XenoTensei
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 12:52:32 am »
I got mine off of Amazon Japan, same place I get all my Japanese videogame source books and art books from :)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 12:59:11 am »
Same here. I'm extremely pleased with the shipping speed.

Magus, if you've got Japanese friends who wouldn't mind, by all means, let's bring them in. Maybe they could translate the concept art pages to get their feet wet and see if they're interested in more.

I can't wait to find out who actually drew those early concept designs. My money's on Kato himself, but we can't be sure until we find a signature on the artwork or some other sign of authorship.

Abel

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
    • XenoTensei
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 01:13:18 am »
Well, that one pic (I'm assuming it's supposed to be Ayla?) looks a lot like Kid from Chrono Cross :)

Pretty cool stuff.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:21:03 am by Abel »

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 01:22:21 am »
Same here. I'm extremely pleased with the shipping speed.

Magus, if you've got Japanese friends who wouldn't mind, by all means, let's bring them in. Maybe they could translate the concept art pages to get their feet wet and see if they're interested in more.

I can't wait to find out who actually drew those early concept designs. My money's on Kato himself, but we can't be sure until we find a signature on the artwork or some other sign of authorship.

Yes it would be no problem. Although it may take around 24 hours, I will show them those scans ASAP and do some editing in MSPaint.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 01:30:52 am »
Check your PMs for the full-size scans Magus22.

To give the rest of us linguistically handicapped Chronophiles something fun to do in the meantime, let's compare Kato's known artwork with the concept art and see whether we can rule him out based on style alone:

Concept art sample.

A picture of Kid drawn by Kato (I think Kato was the artist...)

Irene Lew probably drawn by Runmal for Ninja Gaiden III, and I'm 99% positive "Runmal" was Masato Kato working under a pseudonym. That's an updated SNES overlay though. Compare her to Ayla in the concept art sample especially.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:34:53 am by FaustWolf »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 02:32:29 am »
The eight main characters from left to right:
nobel girl(the fairy king's daughter?), Tin Robo, monster man(in Godzilla's costume?), inventor girl, the protagonist, fiendlord, primitive girl, sage

Who's the nobel girl any way? If it is Marle, that'll be interesting...
-----
Edit* Yeah, she's Marle...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:44:34 am by utunnels »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 02:46:51 am »
Whoa, huge thanks utunnels. Any indication of who the artist was?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 02:58:18 am »
Kato did it I think, look at the 囸 at the right bottom corner.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 03:19:50 am »
What a strange world it would have been...a goggles wearing Crono...Glenn in a weird Reptite costume (holy crap! it's the Green Ambler!!)...Ayla was 21? Fairy princess Marle 14? Lucca 19?? >_>
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:23:13 am by V_Translanka »