Author Topic: Cowboy Bebop  (Read 2000 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Cowboy Bebop
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:31:27 pm »
I love Cowboy Bebop.  I absolutely do.  It was my first anime (outside of Dragonball Z) and introduced me to a whole plethora of related outlets.

Check it:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/945/945797p1.html

I don't know what I think about it...

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Re: Cowboy Bebop
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:41:41 pm »
Crap. Cowboy Bebop was good.  Keanu Reeves is not. Anime to Live action should never happen.  Ever.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:46:14 pm »
All that I remember of Cowboy Bebop was staying up all night because I was sick and watching it, letting it melt my brain. I had no clue what was going on, just that the opening messed with my head.

However, the Japanese companies should be in charge of making anime live-actions. That's the best way. They know who's good and who's not.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:42:00 pm »
I've seen Cowboy Bebop and my bro has almost the whole series on DVD.

My favorite ep was "Jammin' With Edward"

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 06:11:09 pm »
I totally watched it out of order (I've ended up "spoiling" quite a few anime series for myself, really). I ended up watching the last eps first. Totally is still one of my favorite series though. I wish they'd make a spin-off series called "The Adventures of Ed & Ein" as they were my favorite characters and Ed was just plain one of the best characters ever. Great tunes. One series that just isn't (/wouldn't be) the same as a manga (much like Samurai Champloo).

I don't think any live action anime should happen really, but I'm not entirely opposed to the idea. The original work will never be tarnished by any amount of Hollywood trash.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 04:50:20 pm »
As an avid reader, I've learned to seperate motion pictures from their original properties. Cowboy Bebop was so good because of its music and animation. The live action movie will be a different monster entirely, but don't let that ruin your enjoyment of the original anime.

It's something else entirely. Like a work of fan fiction.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 04:55:01 pm »
Fanfictions are usually extensions though...Live action movies of previous works are usually re-tellings...CTNP fits your example though...and I don't think that's a very good idea either...>_>

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 05:02:52 pm »
I've seen up to about episode 14 or so. Cowboy Bebop is a brilliant anime with a wonderful distinct style.

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 05:07:26 pm »
Fanfictions are usually extensions though...Live action movies of previous works are usually re-tellings...CTNP fits your example though...and I don't think that's a very good idea either...>_>

Good point. Fanfiction was a bad example. Think of it more as a what if tale. This is so and so's vision of Cowboy Bebop...you may like it, you may hate it. Just don't let it ruin your enjoyment of the original.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 06:26:35 pm »
So the Keanu Reeves rumor is true...this is terrible. Why does the world intend on raping things that were once good? Cowboy Bebop is awesome, Keanu Reeves isn't. He doesn't really remind me of Spike at all...and I wouldn't be surprised if the choice to cast him came out of some moronic producer's mind. The movie won't ruin Cowboy Bebop--but I have a feeling it'll tarnish the name.

I'd have liked to see someone like Adrien Brody play Spike...or that bloke from Entourage. Or someone that isn't Keanu Reeves.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 06:30:34 pm »
I am willing to give Reeves a chance, I can see why they picked him. There aren't to many actors that look like Spike, he doesn't fit perfectly but he is close. I did here some where that Ron Perlman was a candidate for Jet, which is a perfect choice in my book.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 01:53:08 pm »
So, is this going to be the actual anime adapted to the screen or just the episodes involving heavily on the syndicate? Or is it going to be a story about pretty much nothing?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 02:04:44 pm »
I foresee it being a big screen retelling of the "Red Eyes" episode - which was the very first episode.  Of course, that episode was the first episode and Faye, Ed, and Ein weren't on the show yet, so I assume the script will either already have them aboard the Bebop or will find a way to introduce them during the storyline.  Of course, they may try to do away with one or more characters all together (Ed would be a difficult character to write for and cast, for instance).  Plus, I'm sure they would explore Spike's past with the Syndicate, Julia, and Vicious - unless, of course, they were planning multiple movies.

So that's my take.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 02:09:21 pm »
I only just clicked the link...I don't believe the Keanu rumor is true...It's extremely rare to cast a movie before you even have a script. Eff "Variety".

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 02:13:49 pm »
Maybe it's all some clever scam... it doesn't seem like they would make an anime series (that's probably licensed somewhere in Japan) into a movie with an American company, cast up Keanu Reeves when they don't have a script, and stuff like that.

But I'm feeling a touch paranoid right now, so...