Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 52823 times)

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #390 on: May 05, 2021, 10:56:13 am »
Finally finished Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Great game. Rumor has it that Remedy is making Alan Wake 2, so I'm crossing my fingers. I need a break from the uber-Old Gods type darkness, so I started Nier Replicant. I hear that it has a pretty insane storyline that requires multiple playthroughs, so crossing my fingers.

The music is great and thus far I'm really engaged with the characters and the story. Although the 1000+ year time jump threw me off, and I'm still trying to figure out how we went from A to B, but I know that will be part of the story. Still, I like it!

I admit, though, I'm a little disappointed in the graphics. The character models are great, the draw distance and world is very pretty, but many of the textures (dirt, brick buildings, etc) are lo-res by modern standards. Also, much of the color is very washed out (which I'm sure is intentional), but it makes things look a little... drab.

Granted, this is a 10+ year old game that has gotten a face lift, so this is more a remaster than a remake, but still... darn blurry textures. I may have to install a ReShade to add some saturation and texture sharpening.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 07, 2021, 02:41:45 am »
Well, now started the Time Mine Episode of Another Eden.

Gotta say, I love these "building/developing a town/base/settlement/etc" scenarios in games. Even when it's minor like your base in Suikoden Games growing and gaining more facilities as you recruit the 108 stars.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 07, 2021, 10:23:54 am »
Well, now started the Time Mine Episode of Another Eden.

Get ready to grind like there's no tomorrow! And make sure to use your units that are foragers/miners for thus (Ewan, Melina, Nonold, Riica, etc) so you can cut your grinding time down. Building the town is fun, and the story line is pretty darn good.

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 07, 2021, 10:51:19 am »
Yeah, as much grinding as there was, it was still less of a pain the ass as the undersea palace one. (Though in my case, it absolutely refused to let me have Nagi. I kept putting it off, hoping I'd roll for her. Nope. So I finally finished it, and a few months later, wouldn't you know it... Nagi.)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 07, 2021, 12:48:26 pm »
Oh, I've certainly not have that good luck with rolls for me, haha.

On the flip side, my first two runs of the Ocean Palace had the three turtles spawn, so I guess I got compensated there. Still, I don't see me getting the 50 black pearls before the million points for the regular rewards.

---

Alright, now I'm at the point where it's time to fight my way through the Fiendlord Beast King's Castle.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:32:14 pm by Acacia Sgt »

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 16, 2021, 07:49:18 am »
Hey, everyone I managed to beat Suikoden (PS) today. Got all 108 Stars of Destiny, and did everything for the save transfer to Suikoden II. Decided to play a PS2 RPG this time:

Shadow Hearts, Digital Devil Saga, Persona 3, Star Ocean Till the End of Time.

Anyone have any recommendations between these titles?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 16, 2021, 12:09:13 pm »
Hmm, I'm torn between Persona 3 or Star Ocean.

Go for the latter, I'd say.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 16, 2021, 10:45:57 pm »
That's what I was honestly leaning towards the most so I'll probably get started on it today. I really enjoyed Star Ocean 2 so I hope this title delivers. For the most part, what I enjoyed the most from the series was the item creation and from what I know I don't think this one has any, but oh well.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 17, 2021, 10:36:49 am »
That's what I was honestly leaning towards the most so I'll probably get started on it today. I really enjoyed Star Ocean 2 so I hope this title delivers. For the most part, what I enjoyed the most from the series was the item creation and from what I know I don't think this one has any, but oh well.

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time is solid, but not as good as Star Ocean: The Second Story. In my personal opinion, anyway. SO2 is the pinnacle of the Star Ocean series.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 12:43:27 pm by Boo the Gentleman Caller »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 17, 2021, 12:28:34 pm »
I've been wanting to play other SO games, as I only own TtEoT. I know the fourth one is on Steam, but haven't gotten the chance to try that one yet. I'd wish they added the other ones to PC as well...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: May 17, 2021, 12:45:10 pm »
I've been wanting to play other SO games, as I only own TtEoT. I know the fourth one is on Steam, but haven't gotten the chance to try that one yet. I'd wish they added the other ones to PC as well...

I picked up the 4k version that was released on PC and started it in summer 2019. I didn't finish it. It wasn't bad per se, just painfully mediocre. The plot wasn't very engaging, and some of the characters were just outlandishly bad.

I still need to finish it, though.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 17, 2021, 01:02:27 pm »
I have heard it didn't do as well as previous entries, yes. Hmm...

Still, I wish they rerelease the others. Specially with the PSP store closing down, getting the first two games will become just about harder. Whether remake or original, though I think SO2 original is in the PSN, I think.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2021, 11:51:50 pm »
Still, I wish they rerelease the others. Specially with the PSP store closing down, getting the first two games will become just about harder. Whether remake or original, though I think SO2 original is in the PSN, I think.

I have them both on the PSP in hard disk version. First Departure, a remake of the SNES-era SO1 in the engine of PS1's SO2, was recently ported to the Switch with a few additional art enhancements called First Departure R. I picked it up on sale for $10USD but haven't been able to play it yet.

I hope Second Departure, the PSP enhanced port of SO2, gets the same treatment.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 18, 2021, 01:55:25 am »
Oh, it did? *looks it up* Interesting. And even for PS4 it was.

Well, hopefully they also port it and SO2 to PC as well. I have neither a PS4 or Switch.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 18, 2021, 07:40:31 am »
I agree, The Second Story was so much fun to play and is one of my favorite RPGs on the PS1. I still have to go back and beat Rena's scenario sometime, as I always choose Claude whenever I re-play the game...

So, I started Till the End of Time yesterday, about 7 hours in, and I think it's pretty fun so far. I'm doing it on easy mode so I can hopefully not care about battles that much and just enjoy the story and beat the game. Then I'll go back and play it on a harder difficulty to win Battle Trophies (they're locked on easy mode). Apparently, I was mistaken about item creation in this game as it has cooking unfortunately I still haven't been able to do it yet.