Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 52830 times)

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #375 on: April 15, 2021, 10:41:03 am »
Oh, God!!! I, too, absolutely hated Final Fantasy XII. I recently just played the PS2 original version and I thought it was so awful. It seemed so MMO'ish, and I hated how the treasure chests were absolutely random that really annoyed me. It's easily my least-favorite Final Fantasy.

I don't know if I already mentioned it but I'm playing Xenogears right now and I'm trudging at a slow pace I just finished the events at the 'Ethos' H.Q. and Billy just joined my party, and the plot thickened a little bit. I've been pretty into the game so far for a few days I was grinding for G to buy EtherDoublers they really help make Elly really useful both in and out her gear.

I usually enjoy this game whenever I pick it up but I forgot how fun it was.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: April 17, 2021, 02:34:25 am »
Ah, one of my greatest nemesis: RNG.

I've been doing Another Dungeon runs in Another Eden to get the tome I want to upgrade a character... and no such luck. At this point I'm just about to try out in another dungeon where the tome also can drop. Maybe I'll have better luck there.

In the meantime, I'm now doing the Tales collaboration story. Compared to the Persona 5 one, this one really incorporated more elements from its home series. It's kinda neat.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #377 on: April 17, 2021, 01:19:14 pm »
I started up Digimon Story CyberSleuth: Hacker's Memory. It's very Digimon, much Digivolving. Wow.

As a hacker, I think Erika is great.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: April 21, 2021, 01:28:31 am »
Okay, in Another Eden I'm now doing the IDA School Episode. Well, the first part of it. Hah, imagine if the Chrono series had done a School setting.

That said, I'm so liking the vibes of the dungeon. The chilly atmosphere (pun-intended  :lol:), the somber music, the fact there's no battle theme. I love it!

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: April 21, 2021, 09:54:41 am »
Okay, in Another Eden I'm now doing the IDA School Episode. Well, the first part of it. Hah, imagine if the Chrono series had done a School setting.

That said, I'm so liking the vibes of the dungeon. The chilly atmosphere (pun-intended  :lol:), the somber music, the fact there's no battle theme. I love it!

I absolutely LOVE the first IDA school quest, and I dig that dungeon theme too. (I think I maxed out the scores rewards pretty quickly in AD, lol.) I also enjoy the story in the second quest, and parts of the third quest (where you get a minigame).

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: April 22, 2021, 02:18:41 am »
Alright, finished IDA Part 1. Man, the boss was a pain to take down. Admittedly, I've been running pretty much the same team since game start (Aldo, Miyu, Ciel, Bivette), so... certainly I'm not optimally prepared for everything that's not weak to Fire or Slash, haha. And it showed with fighting the boss. Although it has made me start to play creatively, moving my units into the Reserve to let them recover and what-not. Its AoE attack was a pain until I realized Ciel had a Type Resistance AoE buff himself.

After this I think I'll continue with the 1000 Year Ark Episode next. I only unlocked fishing, but now I'll go through more of it. Or maybe actually advance through the main storyline. I've done just about paltry progress there since Ch13.  :lol: Well, not quite. Did Ch14 as I did IDA Part 1. Hmm, well, I'll decide on what to do first some other time.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 02:22:14 am by Acacia Sgt »

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: April 28, 2021, 02:02:55 am »
Hey, guys. I just finished Xenogears last night - pretty confused about it all still but I enjoyed the game. I was musing to myself that I thought the game reminded me a lot of Chrono Trigger with things like the necklace swinging, a floating city high above the Earth, humans on earth being referred to as surface dwellers and the Three Wisemen. I dunno if these are all just coincidences though? Anyway I enjoyed the game immensely.

For my next game, I thought I'd take it easy and go with something I already know by heart so I'm gonna play Suikoden 1 + 2 next. Used to play these two RPGs all the time in highschool so it's kinda like a refresher course for me. I also wanted to go with something light after playing such a deep game. lol

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: April 28, 2021, 09:59:00 am »
Hey, guys. I just finished Xenogears last night - pretty confused about it all still but I enjoyed the game. I was musing to myself that I thought the game reminded me a lot of Chrono Trigger with things like the necklace swinging, a floating city high above the Earth, humans on earth being referred to as surface dwellers and the Three Wisemen. I dunno if these are all just coincidences though? Anyway I enjoyed the game immensely.

Definitely not coincidences. Xenogears also started out as CT2 but became something else.

For my next game, I thought I'd take it easy and go with something I already know by heart so I'm gonna play Suikoden 1 + 2 next. Used to play these two RPGs all the time in highschool so it's kinda like a refresher course for me. I also wanted to go with something light after playing such a deep game. lol

Haha. I suppose next to Xenogears, the storylines in Suikoden are definitely less complex. Not sure I'd use the term 'light' though, IMO they hit you hard in a different way. :)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: April 28, 2021, 12:20:39 pm »
These last days I actually made progress in AE's main story. Got the Riftbreaker and... pft, haha. I can't help but find it amusing. It's like if they had put the time travel device on the Blackbird and gave you that to fly instead of the Epoch. Like, real subtle trying to hide the fact you're time traveling if you have that huge ship flying around on a clear day.  :lol:

Well now, I think I'll be back to doing side-content now. Did the first chapter of Ciel's Other Tale, and might do Part 2 of the Persona 5 collab next...

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: April 28, 2021, 08:40:15 pm »
Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean what I said to come off like I had thought compared to other RPGs that Suikoden was in any way generic or bland. I just seem to recall that it deals with the topic of friendship a lot, not saying that those themes are not complex or anything. Whenever I look back on it, I always see Suikoden as being very fun to play and I guess - just very comforting to play for me I guess. ^^;

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: April 29, 2021, 01:32:20 am »
Oh, I'm so sorry! I didn't mean what I said to come off like I had thought compared to other RPGs that Suikoden was in any way generic or bland. I just seem to recall that it deals with the topic of friendship a lot, not saying that those themes are not complex or anything. Whenever I look back on it, I always see Suikoden as being very fun to play and I guess - just very comforting to play for me I guess. ^^;

Oh, no offense taken or anything. Actually, I've been watching someone stream the Suikoden games and even though they're fun, I'd forgotten about several dark or heartfelt moments. And then, there they are. :)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #386 on: April 29, 2021, 05:12:56 pm »
Also, finally beat Alan Wake on nightmare mode and finished it with 100% (a rarity for me), and have moved on to Alan Wake's American Nightmare. Surprisingly better than the first Alan Wake game, and I'm now 100% ready for the Remedy shared universe. Gonna have to play Control next.

Big Alan Wake fan. Still hope they make AW2: Barry Wheeler's Revenge or something. Control is definitely a must. Pretty much Alan Wake with some funky super powers and instead of a spooky forest town it's a spooky government installation. I still haven't beaten it, but mainly because Game Pass has been KILLING IT with all the great titles available.

Which brings me to the other 3rd Person shooter with superpowers I've been playing, Outriders. It scratches that Mass Effect/The Division-meets-Destiny itch pretty well. I gave up on Destiny because it just felt like bungle-after-bungle from Bungie. The abilities in Outriders feel satisfying and the crafting system is on point. The only thing I have against it is the impossibility bad map screen, which is all but useless.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #387 on: April 30, 2021, 02:30:50 pm »
Finishing off Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory at the moment. I might tackle a PS5 game next.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: April 30, 2021, 06:53:00 pm »
Big Alan Wake fan. Still hope they make AW2: Barry Wheeler's Revenge or something. Control is definitely a must. Pretty much Alan Wake with some funky super powers and instead of a spooky forest town it's a spooky government installation. I still haven't beaten it, but mainly because Game Pass has been KILLING IT with all the great titles available.

I'm still (slowly) playing through American Nightmare and loving it. The whole route 66 desert ambiance is a great fit, and the game is actually easier. I'm playing on nightmare difficulty and finding it much easier than Nightmare difficulty from the first game. Or maybe I've just gotten better at playing, haha...

I am going to play Control and the AWE expansion that supposedly ties it all together. I can't wait! I was going to go straight into Control after finishing American Wasteland, but now that the Nier Replicant remake is out, I think I have to play that first.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 04, 2021, 03:16:16 pm »
On a change of pace for a, well, change, I started playing Vestaria Saga. Have done the Prologue and Chapter 1 already and... haha, I so missed playing an SRPG. I have a current playthrough of Fire Emblem Shadows of Valencia that's been weeks since I last touched it. Cheeky RNG, where even a 95% chance to hit is a miss, hehe.