Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 52828 times)

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #330 on: February 08, 2021, 07:11:38 pm »
From what little I played of it I remember I liked Final Fantasy X-2 a lot like I liked all of the dress spheres and stuff, haha, lol. I think I have the strategy guide for it somewhere, too...

Yup! I remember I beat Final Fantasy Tactics as a kid all I did was follow the strategy guide exactly. I really am attempting to go back to it with the intent on 100% completion this game has been nagging at me for a long time and I really just want to spend a couple of weeks with it just trying to perfect it somewhat. Do you have any tips? Since the enemies level with you should I even bother to grind and overlevel at all? My main objective, I think, is to just get all of the Propositions.

Yes, I have Tactics Advance somewhere too and I remembered it was quite different, but the original FFT holds a special place in my heart. Haha, I remember as a kid, I re-named all of my soldiers after my friends I went to school with and I beat the game like that lol.

I have this one friend who's a huge Final Fantasy fan we would talk about all the old school FF games like even Final Fantasy II for Super NES, but he's NEVER HEARD of Final Fantasy Tactics. I always thought that was a little weird.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: February 09, 2021, 09:35:15 am »
Yup! I remember I beat Final Fantasy Tactics as a kid all I did was follow the strategy guide exactly. I really am attempting to go back to it with the intent on 100% completion this game has been nagging at me for a long time and I really just want to spend a couple of weeks with it just trying to perfect it somewhat. Do you have any tips? Since the enemies level with you should I even bother to grind and overlevel at all? My main objective, I think, is to just get all of the Propositions.

Grinding has it's up and downs. I had a friend who actually did a level 100 run right out of the gate, and just use random battles to get to 100 before the first mission (not counting the introductory battles).

Enemies level with you, but if you manage your team and jobs appropriately, it's never an issue. I remember I kept running into a random battle of all ninja's and I just couldn't beat them for the life of me. I think that was what was killing my momentum when I played most recently. But if you actually go into it smarter than I did, I bet you'll be fine.

The plus side is that even with the early leveling opportunities, you can master jobs faster and gain more access to the skills and attacks. So even if the enemies level with you, you likely have a better pool of abilities to take them down with.

But take all that with a grain of salt, as I never beat the game! :D

Of course, once you get the Thunder God, the game gets a bit easier, haha... Cidolfus is such an amazing character. He's probably my favorite Cid in the entire series (tied with Cid Highwind of VII fame).

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: February 09, 2021, 02:01:05 pm »
I haven't played FF Tactics yet (I got into Tactics Ogre first), but Cidolfus is probably my favorite boss fight in all of FFXIV, in the Ivalice raids.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #333 on: February 09, 2021, 03:41:50 pm »
Tactics strategy guide: Remember Boco from Final Fantasy V?
US gamers at the time: Remember who from what?

Biggest advice I can give for FFT is if the game asks if you want to save, you say yes IN A DIFFERENT SLOT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Z4933yBaU

Also expect a fight in every new city. If you arrive in one and they don't start a fight, assume it will happen on the way out.

I'm currently finishing up Dragon Quest Heroes II. The final boss is just beyond the next door.

Also getting near the end of Adventure Bar Story. Time to find more ingredients for cooking!

Razig

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 09, 2021, 05:02:18 pm »
Biggest advice I can give for FFT is if the game asks if you want to save, you say yes IN A DIFFERENT SLOT.
This. So much this.

The one and only time I finally managed to beat the horrendous Slums of Dorter map, I made it a bit farther into the game; a castle or cathedral or something, with a ridiculous insta-fail condition of not letting some absurdly weak NPC die. I just could not keep that person alive, no matter what I did. So I decided to backtrack and grind for a bit to get stronger... NOPE. Once you reach that map, you're not allowed to leave. If you can't beat it and you don't have an earlier save, you're simply screwed. Reset and start the entire game over from the beginning.

I've never attempted FFT again. It's a shame, since the gameplay is right up my alley, but I hate playing with guides and I feel like that game absolutely requires one.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #335 on: February 09, 2021, 05:32:04 pm »
Slums of Dorter was the reason for my second point. In my first attempt, I sent some of my party members on a job before leaving, and couldn't get them back in time.

Protect DUMB AND WEAK NPC missions were always annoying. Even after multiple playthroughs, I choose the kill everyone option when given the choice.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 09, 2021, 08:17:45 pm »
I contacted a friend of mine who has been playing Final Fantasy Tactics for 7 years and has accumulated over 1,000 hours and she's been giving me some advice on how to 100% the game. Basically, she said to dump the beginning characters they give you, sell all their equipment and hire new soldiers with matching zodiac compatibility. (I literally never pay attention to that stuff when I play.) She also said, to hire at least one female cause they wind up being better characters toward the end because they can equip some female-only accessories. So, I was only 20 minutes in but I'm about to restart a new save file and do all this... Wish me luck, heh!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:30:54 pm by VidKid369 »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 10, 2021, 10:00:06 am »
Slums of Dorter was the reason for my second point. In my first attempt, I sent some of my party members on a job before leaving, and couldn't get them back in time.

YES! This is what got me on my first playthrough. Thanks for helping me remember! There's an archer (or two) and wizard that just annihilated me every round, not to mention the weak NPC (was it Alma?).

Now I remember it clearly -- I had saved right before the battle and simply could not beat the game, and at this point I was already hours and hours in and didn't want to restart, so I gave up.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #338 on: February 10, 2021, 04:50:12 pm »
Slums of Dorter had Mustadio in a particularly unhelpful setup.

Archers and Wizards that battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8wLBOlCKPU

It took me at least three attempts to beat that game. Kid me got stuck in various ways.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 10, 2021, 10:55:53 pm »
Yeah,--there were a lot of storyline battles that frustrated me a lot as a kid, too. Especially the ones where you had to fight 2-3 battles in a row. Those were hard, y'all.

Anyway, I was strategizing to myself a little bit and I was thinking. You guys had mentioned running into random battles with a bunch of ninjas at one point and it was difficult to proceed, well, I was thinking if it was a random battle on the map you can just save beforehand and hopefully a battle won't initiate when you pass through the dot. You can always soft reset the game and try passing through again until it gives you no battle. 🙂 Also, I was thinking about how the enemies level up with you (and only the monsters in storyline sequences) so it shouldn't be that hard if you're above a few levels in story battles cause their levels seem to be set in those instances.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 01, 2021, 12:59:06 am »
Hey, guys--I managed to beat Final Fantasy Tactics earlier this morning pretty fun game I liked the story a lot. Seemed kind of a easy towards the end especially after you go through the Deep Dungeon cause you level up like crazy in there. I would recommend this game to anyone it's a LOT easier than some people say. I did all the extras like the doing all the propositions/bonus dungeon and I clocked in at a measly 53 hours. Super short RPG, but it's a great entry/title in the Final Fantasy series.

I'm so excited to pick a, the, my next RPG and clear out my backlog some. Have no idea which though. . .?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 01, 2021, 10:33:12 am »
I'm so excited to pick a, the, my next RPG and clear out my backlog some. Have no idea which though. . .?

How recent are you considering? I think I'm about to start Bravely Default II. I loved the first two, so it only makes sense to keep playing the series! :D

Or, you could even play the game that inspired the Bravely series, which I think is an under-rated and often forgotten classic for the DS: Final Fantasy: Four Heroes of Light.

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 01, 2021, 01:40:40 pm »
Decided to hop on board the Valheim train in its early stages. It's not my usual thing, and I was worried the building/gathering/foraging aspects would run too long and bore me quickly, but it's been over a week and I'm still enjoying myself. The world is damn gorgeous too. Now I just need to get better with bows... and I guess make better arrows too.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 01, 2021, 07:09:04 pm »
Unfortunately, my PS3 is broken so I can't play any PS3 games (which're the most recent games I own). But, I have decided to play Alundra I even have the official strategy guide for it. I'm a huge Working Designs nut and I own a bunch of their games but I haven't played through all of them as of yet. Have any of you guys played this one? I heard it's one of the best Zelda-clones so... I'm really looking forward to and excited to play it.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 01, 2021, 11:10:51 pm »
Decided to hop on board the Valheim train in its early stages.

I'm always super hesitant to play alpha/beta/non-gold games, but I hear nothing but great things about Valheim. Are you playing single player or with friends?

Unfortunately, my PS3 is broken so I can't play any PS3 games (which're the most recent games I own).

Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light is on the Nintendo DS! And Bravely Default and Bravely Second are both on the Nintendo 3DS! :D

But, I have decided to play Alundra ...

Definitely a solid game. And definitely a Zelda-like, but still a great PS1 game. Just be aware that they made a sequel, Alundra 2, which is a 3D action RPG and, quite frankly, isn't very good. I gave up on it as a kid and never finished it, and I don't think I ever want to! Hahaha!

I'm a huge Working Designs nut and I own a bunch of their games but I haven't played through all of them as of yet.

I agree. I loved Working Designs (RIP) and they are such a hallmark of the PS1-era for me. The Lunar series, Vanguard Bandits, Arc the Lad, etc. Speaking of which, I wish both Lunar and the Arc the Lad series were revived...