Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 52816 times)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #315 on: January 16, 2021, 04:50:43 pm »
The only Xenoblade game I have is Chronicles X. Only did the first chapters, started doing the Red Lobster sidequest... then pretty much haven't continued since.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: January 16, 2021, 07:18:11 pm »
Ooo, I've heard about the Xenoblade games do they have anything to do with Xenogears or Xenosaga? Because Xenogears is on my list of RPGs I still have yet to beat and I've beaten Xenosaga part 1 like twice but I haven't started part 2 yet. I don't have part 3 but I heard it's really hard to find these days and it could be pretty expensive if you do.

Right now, I'm still playing Final Fantasy VI for PS, I'm on the Veldt after going to Zozo for the first time to collect a few more Rages. Usually, I totally ignore Gau and his rages but I'm trying to do 100% completion and it actually is pretty fun going on the Veldt. I feel like it elongates the game a bit more, cause everytime I play the game feels super short.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2021, 10:30:18 pm »
Well, back when Xenogears came out there was like this planned overarching six-part grand storyline. Those plans were scrapped, but signs of them still shine through. Like, Xenogears was Episode V, Xenosaga is episodes I through III, and the Torna DLC of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has elements of what would've been Episode IV. Something like that, been long since I last looked up about the original Xeno plans.

Anyway, the connections between each part of the Xeno series are faint, but supposedly it's all interconnected still. Who knows. This probably should be answered by someone more knowledgeable with the Xeno franchise.

Oooh, Gau and his rages. That's gonna take a while to fill up, haha.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: January 17, 2021, 04:43:31 am »
Ooh, excellent. I've been meaning to dive back into the Xeno games. I was really into Xenogears back when I was younger but the only one I've ever finished was Xenosaga Episode 1 lol.

Yeah, I was on the Veldt the whole, entire day today mmh. I dunno why but ever since I got a Backloggery I've been obsessing with going back through each one of the RPGs in my collection and just re-playing them cause they have these little statistics that note which games you've "100% completed" and such. I have a really bad memory when it comes to which of my RPGs I've finished so I'm just gonna re-play them all just for fun and as a little challenge while everything's going on right now. *pant*

To be honest, everytime I play Final Fantasy VI, I always just ignore Gau and his stupid little rages cause I never much use him anyway but now I think he's almost kinda cool to use. I'm a little confused as to what's really the difference between Gau and his Rages, and Strago and his Lores--they seem almost kinda the same to me anyway haha. But I'm doing it just for fun, to see if I can even do it and to just finally note that I've done everything in the game, just for personal reasons.

Also, since we are at a Chrono site I've totally been meaning to go through Chrono Cross and try to get all the characters this time! I don't think I've ever done that, like for example I've always wanted to see Janice in action but everytime I play I can never get her. I also wanna finally give New Game + a shot for Chrono Trigger and get another ending. I really want to just perfect all of my Super Nintendo RPGs and put that console away.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: January 17, 2021, 03:36:21 pm »
When it comes to Gau and his Rages, it comes down to what Rages are ideal for any given situation. The big difference between him and Strago and his Lores is that Rages actually turn Gau into the monster he's copying when it comes to the gameplay. If the monster absorbs fire attacks, then Gau will absorb them too. If the monster flies, then he gains the Float status. And so on and so on. Lores are just one more spell list, but one you can use freely and is versatile, since Gau becomes uncontrollable when he's using a Rage, as well only having access to a single special attack. You can cheese the game with Gau, as it were. The hassle is getting the required Rages for easy strategies.

Haha, me neither. I've yet to get a full roster in Cross. This reminds me I still need to finish my NG+ of Trigger. Which I'm doing so to get the Achievements in the Steam version, mostly for completion's sake as well.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2021, 05:12:59 pm »
Oh, I see. See, I've loved Final Fantasy VI to death I always catch myself re-playing it usually to just enjoy the story but I've never really done a 100% complete playthrough,--I dunno why. This time I really wanted to enjoy the game as well as just try to get and do everything just so I can finally put the game away for the time being haha. I always find myself going back to FFVI for some reason or another but I have so many other RPGs to get through I can't afford to spend more time with it because well I can't forget my other games.

Yeah, I always read that you can demolish the game with Gau if you know how to use him right in that he can be a formidable ally. I always ignored him as a kid cause I hated how you can't control him anymore once you pick a rage to use but now I'm just trying to see what's up with him! Collecting all the rages is actually kinda pretty fun too hehe. Mostly on the World of Balance, I catch myself using Stray Cat a lot. It used to BUG me all the time how Gau would wind up with the float status after a battle and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it so I avoid using flying rages now lol. So, Strago is more like Quina from Final Fantasy IX? I forget if they're called red or blue mages?

I've been into Chrono Trigger a lot too since I was little, which's why I came to this site but that game is hard to consider complete since you have so many endings to get. I've yet to touch on the New Game + feature as of yet but I want to sometime soon just to check it out. As for Chrono Cross, I just want to complete that game as well but it seems pretty hard. I think I can manage to do it eventually though.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2021, 06:16:44 pm »
I've been meaning to play through FFVI myself. Though I've yet to do so, haha.

Well, it's not like it's a bad thing to have Float. Unless you run with Gaia Gears, being immune to Earth attacks is more often a boon than a weakness. Stray Cat is a good Rage for Gau, at least during the WoB. Since the special attack, Cat Scratch, is a decent powered non-elemental physical attack. Those are Blue Mages. The ones that can use enemy abilities, or Blue Magic. Or Lores, as VI named them. Red Mages are those who can wield both White and Black Magic and also can deal physical attacks decently enough. Jack-of-all-Traders Masters-of-None, basically.

True. Though all you need is a single run through NG+ to get them all, so it's not that complicated.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2021, 11:57:51 pm »
You should definitely do a quick run of Final Fantasy VI if you have the time! I never feel bad when I get the itch to play it since it's definitely a house favorite!

I actually really do love Final Fantasy VI ever since I was a little kid. I just find it so romantic,--I dunno why!! I think because it uses a lot of sepia-tones, and there's always little things in the background like flowered vases and things like that that your eye can't help but catch every now-and-then. I also love the setting I dunno how to describe it, but I've heard it called 'steampunk', many times all over. It seems kinda modern to me but also old-fashioned in a way. Like it's not as modern as say the Persona series but it still seems classical in a way.

I pretty much already know the game by heart and I know exactly what to do and exactly where to go. I just need to collect all the Rages this time and try not to miss any of Strago's Lores. I also know how to get all the Espers. Although for the esper Ragnarok I am debating right now whether to get the magicite for a complete Esper list or opt for the sword which I very rarely seldom do, maybe once. I heard you can always teach Ultima using the Paladin's Shield (Cursed Shield) from Narshe in order to have a complete magic list. Any input on what I should do, haha?

I'm kinda odd and just don't want float on Gau lol. I guess you are right float isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess I need to just get over it. Ok, so Strago and Quina are Blue Mages, got it.

Ok, I want to do another run-through of Chrono Trigger using New Game + feature sometime soon, I never knew that Ayla got upgraded fists when she reached level 99, so that was news to me! Oh, I always thought you had to run through the game multiple times to get all the endings. *scratches head*

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 18, 2021, 01:20:52 am »
Hmm, maybe I will. Though I have other priorities in my gaming backlog as it is. Currently I want to finish my current Crusader Kings II playthrough... but I keep getting distracted.

I like the game too. Though my most favorite is IV. Yes, it's steampunk. Even if a good deal of the punk is magiteck, hehe.

Ahaha, I see. Well, what version are you playing again? Usually for the SNES and PSX versions, people recommend getting the sword. Yeah, you can get Ultima from the Paladin Shield. For the GBA version and beyond, since you can keep playing after beating Kefka, you can get the Ragnarok by stealing it from the final battle, so it's better to get the Esper. It depends if you really plan to use the sword often. Or if you want to go straight for Lightbringer. Personally, for completion's sake I'd say go for the Esper... but if it's in any pre Soul Shrine version, then yeah, go for the sword.

Ah, no no, there's no need. Since the endings depend on when you beat Lavos. You know, since you can fight it pretty much at any time once you reach the End of Time. And through the Telepod before that.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 18, 2021, 08:11:19 am »
Hey! Sorry if my posting times seem a little off, to where you're at I actually live in a totally different timezone lol.

Oh no worries, ever since I decided to tackle my extensive RPG backlog I worry too sometimes about whether I'm going about it the right way. After taking a really long hiatus from gaming altogether I actually started playing games again with Chrono Cross which's partially why I came to this site recently, I mean, I've always visited for a long time just never did post. But, I'll never forget that Chrono Cross was the one game I decided to pick up and get me back into gaming again.

I don't know what strategy you use in order to beat your backlog sometimes when I finish an RPG I don't know which to play next usually it's a random decision just whatever's on my mind but sometimes I have trouble. One site I regularly use is The Backloggery--I dunno if you've heard of it but it's where players can catalog their collection and keep track of their progress for example if they've only just beaten it and watched the credits roll or if they've 100% completed it, they even have a special statistic for speed-runs and things like that. Anyway, since I've started using it I went on a huge roll of beating multiple RPGs and making an actual dent. You should try checking it out if you have time! They don't have active forums, I found out I actually like posting online with my friends or just other fans of RPGs I get a huge motivation from the good cheer and comraderie!

You're kidding! I go back-and-forth on whether IV or VI is my favorite all the time! IV is actually really special to me since my very first girlfriend let me borrow the game from her older brother back when I was much younger, haha, so it's definitely a personal favorite. I was thinking about it today, and isn't 100% completing it actually kind of easy I think all you really have to do is get all of Rydia's summons, right? After I'm done with VI I was totally thinking of going back and playing IV. (Final Fantasy Tactics is also on my mind, haha.)

I'm actually playing it on Final Fantasy Anthology - so PS version ok, thanks for the advice I'll opt for getting the sword this time and I can just teach Ultima by way of the Paladin Shield. Phew, good thing I asked around.

Ah, gotcha. Ever since I found out about multiple endings for Chrono Trigger it's been eating at me. Good to know you can just run through it once and see all of them I'll definitely have to check it out sometime.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2021, 04:17:45 pm »
It's no problem, heh.

I don't use a site like that. Simply being aware what I've beaten or not. Plus whatever I may want to play through again or so.

Though I like both games a lot in terms like story, music, characters, etc, what gives IV the edge for me is the gameplay. Sometimes, I just like the simplicity of defined character roles. I sometimes feel overwhelmed when characters are mostly blank slates you can customize, since then building up a defined team is more of a hassle. Unless you have it all planned out beforehand, that is. So yeah.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2021, 07:53:46 pm »
Yah, I used to be able to think I can mentally keep note of which games I've beaten but some of those were from when I was really young and I just plain don't remember since it was such a long time ago. Like, for example, I thought I had finished the Breath of Fire series but looking back on it I just wound up not being sure so I re-played 1 and 2 recently. My friends tell me to just write a list, ...but, I kinda wanna try using Excel or something, lol.

I feel you. FFVI has the Espers so I always used to think every character wound up being the same as the others by the end cause everyone knows all the magics. I didn't really like that. FFIV is pretty cool, because like you said, each one of the characters seems more unique like Rosa is more of a healer, etc. I'm really feeling like I may want to give IV a shot after I'm done playing VI. I still have it for Super Nintendo which's pretty neat.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 07:55:43 pm by VidKid369 »

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 02, 2021, 09:58:54 am »
I'm struggling to find a game I want to play.

I have been playing Horizon Zero Dawn on PC and really enjoying it, but I find myself being bored by it sometimes. Although I want to finish it (and will), I feel like having another game or two to balance it out would be great. I tend to explore explore explore with open world games, and upon exploring the world and filling my map, go into the main quest. Maybe I should do the main quest more to keep me engaged.

I started another play through of the first Witcher game a while back, and I don't have the motivation to continue playing right now. I am reading the books and love playing the games, but I dunno, maybe I am Witcher'd out. The first Witcher game is also, although good, really rough around the edges.

I have also been playing Final Fantasy X again on the Switch since, like, October. I just can't get pulled into the plot with this playthrough, and playing Blitzball feels like such a royal chore. I'm at Guadosalam and I just... I dunno, I think I'm ready to take a prolonged break with this game. I have played through it three times and have never finished it, so I really need to wrap it up. I normally suffer from sidequest fatigue by the end of the game and never reach the final boss.

Urgh.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 08, 2021, 05:57:07 am »
I need to re-play Final Fantasy X, too, myself. And, I still haven't gotten around to beating X-2. I remember I quite liked Blitzball lol but I hated Kimahri (sp?).

Also,--well I did it! I finished Final Fantasy VI (PS) earlier this afternoon. I learned all of the Lores, collected all of the possible Rages and I taught every character every single Magic spell. It sure felt really good doing that, finally, after all these years! lol I hated Gau and I hated the rages when I was a kid.

I have no idea what to play next... I'm kinda leaning toward Final Fantasy Tactics the original on PS cause I'm in an FF-mood.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 08, 2021, 09:52:39 am »
I need to re-play Final Fantasy X, too, myself. And, I still haven't gotten around to beating X-2. I remember I quite liked Blitzball lol but I hated Kimahri (sp?).

I got to the very end of FFX-2... and then didn't beat it. I think I was under-leveled with the final level, and rather than grind I moved on. I can't say I'm a fan of grinding. If I ever beat FFX this round (which I fully intend to), I definitely want to go on to FFX-2 and play it as well.

I have no idea what to play next... I'm kinda leaning toward Final Fantasy Tactics the original on PS cause I'm in an FF-mood.

Do it! FFT is a great game and one of the best sRPG out there! And the PS version is quality -- the additions are very fitting (such as the new animated cutscenes). This is another game that I never quite beat. I have attempted twice...

My first attempt was not long after the game had just come out. The enemies level with you, and I had gotten to a point in the story where I could not beat a level full of mages and archers. Even with grinding my levels and job skills, the enemies continued to grow with me and I eventually rage quit. I was a kid, after all...

I played it again about ten years ago and loved it. I finally got past the above level that had stumped me in the 1990's, and I got pretty far into the game (and even recruited the Thunder God). But I remember encountering several battles in a row in which I could not win, and I got burnt out and frustrated. I set it aside with the intent of coming back, but alas, I never did return to finish the game.

I HAVE played both of the Tactics Advance games and loved them both. I also beat them both with 100% completion! They aren't as serious and dark as Tactics, but I love the various races and jobs that are tied to them. They also sort of connected to FFXII in cool ways, especially FFTA2.