Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 52842 times)

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #300 on: January 12, 2021, 06:12:29 pm »
I've only played Lunar: Silver Star Harmony.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 12, 2021, 11:41:48 pm »
I have Silver Star Harmony for PSP Go, but I've only played maybe five minutes of it I stay pretty true to the PlayStation Working Designs translation as I love it but I've heard that Victor Ireland (Pres. of Working Designs) actually got a lot of the original voice actors back to reprise their roles for the SSH incarnation, which's pretty neat. And I hear Jenny Stigile (the singing voice of Luna) actually did a new song for that as well. I've meant to go through, play through SSH but I just haven't had the time with me trying to clear my RPG backlog, but I love the LUNAR series so I will probably play it soon!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2021, 09:35:30 am »
I have Silver Star Harmony for PSP Go, but I've only played maybe five minutes of it I stay pretty true to the PlayStation Working Designs translation as I love it but I've heard that Victor Ireland (Pres. of Working Designs) actually got a lot of the original voice actors back to reprise their roles for the SSH incarnation, which's pretty neat. And I hear Jenny Stigile (the singing voice of Luna) actually did a new song for that as well. I've meant to go through, play through SSH but I just haven't had the time with me trying to clear my RPG backlog, but I love the LUNAR series so I will probably play it soon!

I actually love SSH -- if it wasn't for nostalgia, I'd probably like it as much as SSSC. Some of the same voice actors did come back, although some are different, and their new voices threw me for a loop on my first playthrough -- namely Kyle, Ghaleon, and Nall.

(For the record, Nall's voice is better is SSH; it's no longer just a lady with her voice pitched up to squeaky levels. I also like Ghaleon's new voice actor better. It has the same regality without being a nasally mess.)

I loved the re-worked soundtrack, although some of the original songs have new lyrics, which don't have the punch as the SSSC versions.

SSH also had a little bit of new content, mainly in the way of expanding on Laike and what happened with the original Four Heroes. The new additions showing more of what happened with them actually adds to the story and motivations a bit better.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 14, 2021, 07:03:22 pm »
I actually bought Silver Star Harmony on PSN back when I first got a PSP Go, I was surprised to see it for sale online and I bought it immediately on a whim. I've always been meaning to give it a whirl since I am a huge LUNAR series fan. Now I definitely have to give it a playthrough.

Oh cool! It's nice to see they made a few new changes. I'm kind of guardedly optimistic about playing it though since I'm so used to the PlayStation version, I just wonder if I'll like it haha. I quite like and have grown fond of what Working Designs did so I'm just a little hesitant.

The only thing I'm looking forward to is finding out more backstory on the Four Heroes I'm glad they expanded their storyline for sure. Like I'm interested in Lemia's backstory a lot and how she came to be the leader of the Magic Guild.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2021, 11:55:01 pm »
I remember this one boss fight in SSH. It was an epic battle! I fought with everything I had, drained my items, and finally gave in. I let the boss destroy me and take me to the sweet release of the game over screen. Then... the plot continued.

I wasn't supposed to win that one.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 15, 2021, 03:51:48 am »
Lol, don't you love those?

I always fight with everything I have anyway, defending or trying to run away over and over seems kinda boring to me lol.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #306 on: January 15, 2021, 02:16:49 pm »
I prefer when they can nuke me in a turn or two. :P

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 15, 2021, 02:23:48 pm »
I remember this one boss fight in SSH. It was an epic battle! I fought with everything I had, drained my items, and finally gave in. I let the boss destroy me and take me to the sweet release of the game over screen. Then... the plot continued.

I wasn't supposed to win that one.

Which would be jRPG trope #182.

Then you have the similar alternate to 'impossible to win battle' -- jRPG trope #183, the 'battle versus cutscene loss'. The characters are awesome in the battle and beat the villain, but then in an cutscene get their arses handed to them (so hard they'll kiss the moon).

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 16, 2021, 12:17:17 am »
Lol, I always get a little shuddered when the battle wipes me out in the first two turns cause I start thinking, "Maybe I'm underleveled or something?" while I wait for hopefully a continuation of the scene instead of a Game Over. Haha.

'Whether you win or lose/It doesn't matter' battles can be pretty annoying, especially if you want to read both the victory and defeated lines. *eye roll*

It's pretty funny when you get a super beefy guest character at lv. 99 with 9999 HP and he gets killed in a cutscene. It's just like. Um.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2021, 12:36:49 am »
I can agree on the "winning the battle meant nothing" being annoying. The impossible battles not so much, at least when it's fast to tell when it's a thing. That said, figuring out if it's one where winning does change something but losing isn't a Game Over anyway...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 16, 2021, 01:44:56 am »
So let it be known... I love the Xenoblade Chronicles games. The first one has a lot of anime / jRPG tropes, but the second one leans in so heavily into the tropes it hurts. I kid you not, I think I won a battle and then lost in a cutscene like half a dozen times. I'm pretty sure it sets the record for doing that in a video game, haha.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 16, 2021, 02:57:08 am »
Oh, haha, I know quite a few people who are fans of the XC games. Haven't seen them complain much over such things. At least definitely not over battle/cutscene discrepancies.

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 16, 2021, 01:12:37 pm »
Xenoblade is pretty great. One day I'll work up the nerve to finish the first since I managed to mess up the skills system and screwed myself near the end, haha. I still need to play the second one on Switch.

My hyperfixation has been Undertale (PC, not Switch) for the last month and a half. I'm glad that a game that's solid due to its story and gameplay (and music), even if the graphics aren't what's popular for the time, can still be so well-received in this day and age (okay, 5-6 years ago, but still).

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 16, 2021, 01:30:40 pm »
I've been playing Dragon Quest XI a lot. I love it. There's sooo much to do. I'm 90 hours in the game and finally "finished", only to realize there's an entire third story arc.

Mauron

• Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #314 on: January 16, 2021, 02:49:08 pm »
Still going through Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth on my end. I'm getting closer to the end now, but I'm not sure how close.

I played Xenoblade partway back in the day. I got distracted while wandering around somewhere.