Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 52834 times)

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 09:51:21 pm »
Sintu! Acacia!

If you can (which I doubt you can), go get yourself a copy of Tales of Destiny. It's a great game and unappreciated. However, it didn't go too well here in the states, and the copies you find on eBay are highly valued by collectors. I suggest, if you can fix it up right, work with the ROM. The battles are really slow that way, though. Leon is pretty cool (until he decides that he would rather be dead), Stahn is fun to have, Garr kicks some ass (once you level grind with him and get Igtenos), Philia is pretty cool for a whiny priestess girl, and Rutee is... skank.

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 10:13:53 pm »
I was seriously considering it awhile back, but then I saw that there was a remake AND a sequel for Tales of Destiny on the PS2.  The problem is, they're both Japan only.  So that kinda puts me in a frustrating situation.  I don't know jack about PS2 modding (and I don't have the patience either), so I have no way of playing the remake and sequel.  Sure, I could just play the PS1 version of the first game, but knowing that the remake and sequel exist would bug the crap out of me (I'm already kinda pissed off about the FF4 sequel).

I'll probably play it eventually though.

Speaking of Tales of Phantasia, that's what I'm currently playing. I have recently defeated Jahmir and freed Prince Laird of Alvanista from Dhaos's control.

I'm playing the GBA port. And this time, I will finish it. Currently, I regret loosing my save file, but I don't mind playing it again from the start.

I heard that the GBA port was kinda meh, but I can't really speak from experience.  It could just be people whining about English voice acting though.  From the videos I saw, the sound quality suffered like the GBA ports of the FF games, but the graphics were like the PS1 version.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 10:44:20 pm by Sintu »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 10:47:12 pm »
I think the voices are okay. Although, I have the European version. Maybe in that one that aspect is better than the American one.

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 11:08:23 pm »
I think the voices are okay. Although, I have the European version. Maybe in that one that aspect is better than the American one.

/shrug

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbvgHviyRck (gba)

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFak_z35nF4 (snes)

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7SCsO6Mhgk (PSP)

I'm probably just being a Japanophile, but I do like the Japanese versions better.  BTW, couldn't find the PS1 version of it, but it's almost exactly like the PSP version except Dhaos has a different voice actor.

EDIT:  Grr... I could have just posted this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmgapz6IGws (all versions)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 11:11:34 pm by Sintu »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 11:21:49 pm »
I am playing *gasp!* CTDS! Hurrah!
I got it Saturday around four, beat the main story Sunday night. Going to work on getting all the endings next.
Aside from that, I've acquired Bioshock, Fable, and Team Fortress 2 over the past couple of months, but haven't started any of them yet. Any idea which I should play first?

idioticidioms

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2009, 02:28:28 am »
Fair warning, these are all going to be NES/SNES/GBA games. Well, except for one, which is N64. I think I'll start with that one and get it out of the way. (I only have one game system that's not on my comp at the moment, and that's the 64. My PS2 I let my cousin borrow and he never returned it. I wont be making that mistake again)

Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time - Have played this before all the way through and thought it was a pretty well-made game. Having played Both Zelda's for NES and the one for SNES; Legend of Zelda, Adventure of Link and A link to the Past, respectively; I was impressed by the graphics, gameplay and storyline of this game. A bit slow in the playing due to me being more interested in playing other games at the moment.

Bahamut Lagoon - Still working on my first time through this game. The battles are Reminiscent of Final Fantasy Tactics (for me, anyway), but with different graphics which give the game it's own personality. I like the character graphics on this and the storyline, from what I've seen is pretty good.

Dark Law - Meaning of Death - Never played this one before just a couple days ago. Pretty decent game, a bit odd with the way the storyline goes, but not bad. I'm currently level 5 on it and can't go any further until I fill out some more of the dungeon mode and level up.

Emerald Dragon - Another one that I never played until a couple days ago. I really like this one, so far. It has a decent storyline, good game play, and one of the most unique battle systems I've seen yet. For an SNES game, this really impressed me.

Star Ocean - I've played this many times, but never through to the end. I just found out how to get it to stop freezing up on me, so hopefully this time I'll make it through. This has a very good storyline to it, a good plot, good battle system, though definitely not the best (the best being Real Time Battles, in my opinion) and has a variety of different skills and stuff you can mess around with. This is THE best RPG for SNES, in my opinion, followed closely by

Tales of Phantasia - I am actually playing this on both the SNES and the GBA to see what differences, if any, there are. Pretty good game, obviously made by the same people as Star Ocean. The battle system, menu stuff, etc is all the same as Star Ocean with a few additions. I actually like the Skill stuff better on this one than on Star Ocean because of the more in-depth feel to it, though both games take some getting used to before you get the hang of knowing what skills to advance to learn stuff.

Treasure of the Rudra (Rudra no Hihou) - Another really good game. I enjoyed the Mantra system on this game and have developed a decent list of good mantras. I was impressed by the graphics of this game and how the party system worked. (when creating a new game, you name four characters and each character is the head of his/her own party. Then you choose which char you want to use (only being able to use 3 at the start) and each one has it's own storyline, and you can switch between them by resetting the game. I've beaten this one before, but now I'm playing it through with a better translation.

Terranigma - This is a pretty unique game in itself, really good story line (I thought, anyway) good real time battle system, and decent unique menu system. I've played through this one a couple times already and I'm getting ready to start another new game on this. I like how some of the actions and choices you make have effects on things later in the game. (when you get to the stage of the game where you interact with humans, you can build towns up into cities by making the right choices and can buy your own house in one if you make all the right choices.) I thought this game was pretty awesome.

Final Fantasy - Dawn of Souls - I first started playing the series Final Fantasy with the US FF3 for SNES. I got Final Fantasy 1 for NES a few years later and liked it, and have played it on every system it's been out on that I could get my hands on. For those of you who haven't played this version of Final Fantasy 1 and 2, you should. With 4 extensive new dungeons in FF1, nifty new graphics and spruced up soundtrack, these games are great re-makes of the originals. I only wish it was more like the psx version where you had a choice between easy and normal mode. On this you only get easy mode.

Final Fantasy IV Advance - first time playing through this version. I've beaten it before on the PSX version and the SNES version. A pretty good game all around, new graphics, updated music, etc. Looking forward to checking out the new shit in it.

Final Fantasy V Advance - Same story as FFIVA, but with a different style. I've played through this once before on this system and enjoyed the new Jobs and abilites. looking forward to playing through it again. Hopefully I'll be able to beat Omega and Shinryuu this time through.

Final Fantasy VI Advance - I have played this game on every system it's been out on and it is my second favorite Final Fantasy game, being trumped only slightly by Final Fantasy 8. First time I played it on this system was before they released it in America, and I played the straight japanese rom of it. I knew it well enough to go through it completely, but once I hit the new Esper fights, I needed to know where my items and spells were exactly and fumbled. Played through it as soon as it hit the states, the same day, actually, and loved the new Espers and dungeons.

Kingdom Hearts - Chain of Memories - A classic for any Kingdom Hearts fan. I enjoyed this very much the first time through and thoroughly enjoyed playing as Riku on the way back through. The card system of fighting takes some time getting used to for amateurs but is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

Summon Night - I like the uniqueness of the game. You start out as a blacksmith, and the only weapons you get to use are those you make yourself. Haven't played all the way through it yet, but I am enjoying it as it progresses. Has a decent story line to it in the sense that it IS unique (first one I've seen of its kind). look forward to seeing the ending of it.

Now for some old school stuff:

Dick Tracy - a personal favorite of mine from my youth. Definitely not going to grab many people who don't have nostalgic ties to it, but a good game nonetheless. Play as Dick Tracy and solve crimes by finding clues and interrogating people before you make the final arrest and close your case. 5 cases total.

Star Tropics II - Zoda's Revenge - another game from my youth, is a pretty cool little real time fighting game for the NES. You don't level up or gain experience, but you do have a point system, health, etc. You have to be good or die a lot on this because the onyl way to heal yourself is to find healing potions and extra lives. Looking forward to beating the crap out of Zoda again.

Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - Still haven't beat this one, but it is a damn good Zelda game for NES, though pretty easy to max out on stats early on. Again, you have to be really good at this or die a lot. Even if you are really good, you still die a lot, so... Prepare to die a lot while playing this and be frustrated with it a lot. You won't always know where to go on it and that can be confusing as hell in spots, but not a bad game.

That's about it for now. I've got a lot on my plate and a lot more waiting to be played, so... I should be busy for a while as long as I can keep interest in the games.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2009, 04:05:27 am »
The only difference I've noticed in the GBA version of ToP as compared to the original was the nerfed encounter rate (which is a big plus in my books since it was so over-the-top before)...but then again, I've playing the GBA version w/o sound...

Any suggestions on DS or GBA games?

I've got a ton loaded up in my "Currently Playing" list (most are just on the backburner though) in my SoY thread, so I'll share some of the best...

GBA

Advance Wars - Nice enough SRPG series by the people that do the Fire Emblem series.

Breath of Fire II - Great port of the SNES classic.

Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - One of them neat "Castleroid" Castlevania games.

Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls - Nice FF enhanced port.

Final Fantasy IV Advance - Nice FF enhanced port.

Final Fantasy V Advance - Nice FF enhanced port.

Final Fantasy VI Advance - Nice FF enhanced port.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Not FFT2, but good for what it is.

Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword) - Great SRPG series by the people that do the Advance Wars series (ha!).

Golden Sun - Classic RPG gameplay.

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Another Mario RPG.

Megaman Battle Network I~VI - Interesting action gameplay that uses a card-based system for special attacks (it's funner than it sounds). Otherwise fairly corny characters from Capcom.

Mother 3 - Great series. If you played Earthbound you pretty much know what you're getting here.

Phantasy Star Collection (1~3) - Port of 3 classic Sega (SMS & Genesis) RPGs. It's only missing the best PS though (PSIV)...

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Pretty good platforming game with all those quirky Prince of Persia aspects.

Riviera: The Promised Land - My fav GBA (kind of hit-or-miss with most people though). Unique take on the RPG genre.

Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon - Remake of the original Genesis Shining Force SRPG. Great series to introduce someone to the SRPG genre.

Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis - The best SRPG on the system. What FFT fans really wanted when they heard about FFTA.

Tales of Phantasia - Good port of the original.

Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone - SRPG sequel to Riviera (also hit-or-miss) that incorporates a card-based system. Worth checking out, but it takes a bit of time to really get into the battle system (which it slowly introduces you to).

-NDS

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Another one of them Castleroids with a unique twist on gameplay.

Disgaea - If you haven't played the PS2 or PSP versions of Hour of Darkness, this is as good a time as any. Great SRPG. Prinny commentary is hilarious.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates - Ok action/RPG.

Final Fantasy III - Great remake of one of the best 8-Bit RPGs.

Final Fantasy IV - Probably the definitive version.

Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - Uhhhh...if you like RTSs I guess?

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - More FFTA.

Kirby Super Star Ultra - Great remake of the SNES game. Lots of fun stuff in there.

Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time - Another Mario RPG...with time travel...! >_>

Megaman Star Force I & II - More Battle Network with a few twists in gameplay.

Megaman ZX - Great 2D Megaman gameplay only not relying on the gimmick of oldschool graphics.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (I), Justice For All (II) and Trials & Tribulations (III) - Great point & click series from Capcom. Try it out! Fun stuff.

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence - Great port/remake of the original for those of us who never played it...or the GC version...

Tecmo Bowl Kickoff - The classic arcade-style football game is back all shiny & new-ish. Not as updated in gameplay as the later SNES versions, but still a nice enough game...

Trauma Center: Under the Knife - This is what the DS was made for. Shows off the touch screen's capabilities quite nicely.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:38:24 am by V_Translanka »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2009, 04:11:56 am »
There's the list but made a bit simpler to read.

-GBA
   ->Advance Wars - YES!!!
   ->Breath of Fire II - Yes
   ->Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow - Meh
   ->Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls - Yes
   ->Final Fantasy IV Advance - Meh.
   ->Final Fantasy V Advance - Meh
   ->Final Fantasy VI Advance - Meh
   ->Final Fantasy Tactics Advance - Yes
   ->Fire Emblem (Blazing Sword) - YES!!!
   ->Golden Sun - YEs
   ->Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga - Meh
   ->Megaman Battle Network I~VI - Yes
   ->Phantasy Star Collection (1~3) - Yes (if it had IV then it would have been a Must)
   ->Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - No
   ->Riviera: The Promised Land - Yes
   ->Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon - Yes
   ->Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis - Meh
   ->Tales of Phantasia - Meh
   ->Yggdra Union: We'll Never Fight Alone - Yes
 -NDS
   ->Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia - Meh
   ->Disgaea - YES!!!
   ->Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates - Meh
   ->Final Fantasy III - Yes
   ->Final Fantasy IV - Meh
   ->Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings - No
   ->Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - Yes
   ->Kirby Super Star Ultra - Meh
   ->Mario & Luigi: Partners In Time - Yes
   ->Megaman Star Force I & II - Yes
   ->Megaman ZX - Yes
   ->Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (I), Justice For All (II) and Trials & Tribulations (III) - Yes
   ->Resident Evil: Deadly Silence - No
   ->Tecmo Bowl Kickoff - No
   ->Trauma Center: Under the Knife -Yes

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2009, 04:19:37 am »
Who says no to Tecmo Bowl?????

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2009, 04:35:09 am »
That's pretty much just a list, Kebster.

And I don't see how FFVI is ever "meh" (or FFIV for that matter...I could give FFV to you though)...And Tactics Ogre getting a "meh" when FFTA gets a "Yes" is absolute BS.

I did need to edit it from the SoY style list, though...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:39:38 am by V_Translanka »

idioticidioms

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2009, 07:54:00 am »
Yeah I found FFTA a bit dry for my liking, too. it gets monotonous way too quickly.

I don't understand how Aria of Sorrow gets a meh, either. I thoroughly enjoyed that game. Differing tastes, I suppose.

There's another Crystal Chronicles game out? I played the one for Gamecube and thought it was alright, nothing to get ecstatic about, but it was fun. and a sequel to FFXII... I really need to get a feckin DS, now. going to be the first thing I'm going to get when work picks back up. In fact I can already assemble a wish list for it:

Chrono Trigger: DS
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fate
Final Fantasy III
Final fantasy Tactics Advance 2: Grimoire of the Rift
Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy IV

That's my current wish list for the DS. I'll play any FF game at least once, out of principle. That series is the whole reason why I love RPG's as much as I do, Final Fantasy VI on SNES being the first RPG I ever played. So far, I haven't met one I haven't liked. They always frustrate me at some point or another, but I always like them.

Btw, is there any difference between Breath of Fire II for GBA and SNES? I haven't really played too far into the GBA version, but I haven't noticed any real differences yet. Also, could you give a bit more info on what Golden Sun is about? I have it, but I'm hesitant to start into it.

Personally, I was disappointed by the Phantasy Star Collection and have no idea what the big fuss is, there. I also don't get how you can give Shining Force a yes and give the Final Fantasy games a meh. While being a decent game, Shining Force isnt exactly a must have.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2009, 08:30:55 am »
Do you actually play that many games at a time?  I've always been a one game at a time kind of person...wierd, I never noticed that.  I have to finish a game or get burnt out on it before I move on to another...maybe beause I forget what I was doing if I keep swapping around.

idioticidioms

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2009, 08:41:36 am »
Well, a lot of the games I'm playing I've either already played or have no nostalgic attachment to whatsoever and the graphics, while being great for SNES, are a bit behind the curve nowadays. I've become used to eye candy. I used to be a one game at a time person, but I lose interest in one, go to another, go to another then another, come back to the first one, go to another, and so on and so forth, lol. Keeps me busy when I have absolutely nothing to do. And sometimes I hardly feel like playing video games at all, though I'm sure that would change if I could get my hands on something that actually enthralled me. Last games that did that were Final Fantasy XII and Kingdom Hearts II. Funny, I used to game until my hands bled.

Actually, if I could get my hands on Lord of the Rings Online again, you all will never see me again, lol. at least for a long time, anyway. I was privileged enough to beta test for it, and bought a couple months worth of play time last year, but that was over way too quickly.

Either way, I need to spend some money when I get it and get back into the gaming world again. I need to get back into my writing again, too, but I don't really see that happening anytime soon either.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2009, 09:28:50 am »
Yeah, I kind of get easily distracted so games get put on the backburner...So far only Capcom's been able to really keep my attention with games with any amount of consistency. I could always pick up and play through the Battle Network & the Phoenix Wright games...

It looks like Kebs is a SRPG fan, since he Yes'd all but Tactics Ogre (which is why that mystified me since I think it's one of the best games in my list, though tbh I haven't played through a ton of it). I could see getting tired of the Castlevania games, I guess, though...I was never much of a fan of the original style of the series, but I do quite enjoy the more recent "Castleroid" ones.

There's another Crystal Chronicles game out? I played the one for Gamecube and thought it was alright, nothing to get ecstatic about, but it was fun.

Yeah, there's actually a couple more FFCC games coming out as well...I think Wii (I think there's already one for Wii out actually) and a (couple?) DS at least.

Btw, is there any difference between Breath of Fire II for GBA and SNES? I haven't really played too far into the GBA version, but I haven't noticed any real differences yet.

Nah, not really. I heard it's supposed to have a better translation, I didn't notice much either, but it was a while ago when I played the original...

Also, could you give a bit more info on what Golden Sun is about? I have it, but I'm hesitant to start into it.

You shouldn't be. It's a great RPG, really. The only faults I could find with it at all is the OLD oldschool targeting system (if your target dies, your attack is wasted ala the original couple FFs & such) and maybe because the story kind of putters along at times. Otherwise though it's completely enjoyable. My fav part is the fact that eventually you gain Telepathy! That's right, you get to read people's minds! After experiencing that I've been wondering why no other RPG/game has stolen that concept...

Personally, I was disappointed by the Phantasy Star Collection and have no idea what the big fuss is, there.

The real fuss is that it's missing the effing crown jewel in the series. Otherwise it was just the best you had if you were a Sega fan...but still...! Very good for it's time...Them wacky 1st Person dungeons in the original are probably the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced in an RPG.

I think usually I try to have only one SRPG (because one takes too much time as is), one RPG (so that storylines don't get too badly mixed up in my head) and then I can have a bunch of non-RPGs that I can casually play whenever I'm burnt out on a SRPG map or leveling or w/e in an RPG...

idioticidioms

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2009, 10:09:34 am »
OLD oldschool targeting system (if your target dies, your attack is wasted ala the original couple FFs & such)

that might stop me from playing it right there, lol. I hated that. No, no, I will give it the benefit of a doubt.

As for Breath of Fire II for GBA, I started playing it, and it does have some translation fixes to it and a good graphic overhaul too on the battle screens. So far, I've been playing about an hour or two and I'm up to where I just dropped Bow off at Niro's house (the old starving guy you saved Mina's pig from), Bow is level 9, Ryu is level 8, have about 600 pocket change, and all the best gear I can have so far. I will be searching for the Thief to clear Bow's name as soon as I get some fresh air and cancer in my lungs. Breath of Fire III will always be my favorite BoF game, but BoF II is still good enough to play through every once in a while.