Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 52868 times)

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2009, 10:42:52 am »
That's pretty much just a list, Kebster.

And I don't see how FFVI is ever "meh" (or FFIV for that matter...I could give FFV to you though)...And Tactics Ogre getting a "meh" when FFTA gets a "Yes" is absolute BS.

I did need to edit it from the SoY style list, though...

Whaaaat?  FFV is awesome.  The job system is my favorite.  The story was maybe a small step back from FFIV, but it had some great music.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #76 on: January 22, 2009, 12:47:08 pm »
While I'm fond of the Job Class System, in the end the Bare & Mime Classes just became way too overpowered for my taste. I ended up preferring FFIII & FFT for my FF Job Class needs. And the story was just another bland, "OMG! The crystals! Oh, dang, we didn't arrive in time! But the next one...! Oh, dang, there goes another one! But the next time...! Geeze, we're really bad at this! But the last one, surely...!" There's a point where I won't accept the same exact thing happening in a series and that is apparently when it happens over 12 times (c'mon, Capcom, you've still got several more Breath of Fires to give me...!). And the characters were all mostly throw aways except for maybe Faris and then Galuf at the end...Galuf's daughter was especially lame. If they give it a makeover like FFIV DS, THEN it could be awesome.

OLD oldschool targeting system (if your target dies, your attack is wasted ala the original couple FFs & such)

that might stop me from playing it right there, lol. I hated that. No, no, I will give it the benefit of a doubt.

Yeah, it's kind of annoying, but actually, part of me kind of likes having to strategize that little bit more. Having to know who hits for what & basically how much HP each monster has...testing out each new monster with certain attacks & whatever...But pretty much everything else about Golden Sun is so good that it's just something that's easy to overlook. The Magic & Summoning system is nice.

Breath of Fire III will always be my favorite BoF game, but BoF II is still good enough to play through every once in a while.

Yeah, same here...I wish I hadn't traded in BoF3...it's up there with my absolute fav RPGs, really...wtf was wrong with me?? Rei! You were so cool! V_V

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2009, 01:13:27 pm »
V_Trans and Shadow, thanks a bunch for the GBA and DS suggestions. It would seem that old school RPG goodiness is readily available on the DS.

On that subject, has the Earthbound (Mother) series seen any US ports or only in Japan? 

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2009, 01:27:08 pm »
Only Mother 2 (Earthbound) has been released outside of Japan.

Mother 1+2 is a port of the two games as a GBA game. Japan-only.

Although 1 and 3 have been fan-translated.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:30:53 pm by Acacia Sgt »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2009, 03:19:44 pm »
Oh yeah, my bad, I probably should have mentioned that...My SoY list is based on VBA & no$gba respectively so I didn't think about it when I changed them to GBA & NDS. And, yeah, the DS is an RPG monster that's only getting stronger (IT FEEDS ON MY SOUL!!!)...!! Probably the best bet for any current-gen system for RPGs period.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2009, 03:32:44 pm »
I agree, so many good games, although I wish I could play them.

But on another note, it's great to hear again 'Battle of the Spirit'. I'm currently descending down the Morlia Mineshaft. Maxwell, here I come!

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2009, 07:18:09 pm »
Now Playing:

PSP: Prinny: Can I really be the real hero. This one is a platform game from NIS is very hard and addictive. The final boss is      impossible.

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth: I don't know much about this one because I just bought it.

Dissidia Final Fantasy: One word AWESOME! Better than Ergeizh which was fun but no one liked it.

PS2: dot hack Final chapter Quarantine. This is the last pat of the first dot hack series is fun.

PSX: Parasite eve 2: Yes one of the best survival horror ever made and the best thing is that is not short like Resident Evil.

Resident Evil 2: I finished this in two days, one for each DISC. Is awesome too.

PC: Yugioh! Joey the Passion: The best yugioh game is pretty much the only one that emulates the card game perfectly.

Mu Online Season 3: I good only game similar to Diablo with unique aspacts in gameplay.   

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2009, 07:37:58 pm »
Actually, Nintendo translated Mother 1, but didn't release it as RPGs weren't extremely popular and the NES was going downhill at the time. Someone bought the Prototype copy and dumped it into the internet, thus why it's called Earthbound. They fixed it with the Zero.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2009, 07:42:04 pm »
I had forgotten about that. Yes, the Zero was the only thing added by the fans, the rest was already translated.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2009, 08:26:32 pm »
Ha, I always thought that name was stupid...

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2009, 08:31:02 pm »
Stupid? For what?

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2009, 09:59:47 pm »
It was only added to distinguish the SNES Earthbound and the NES Earthbound. If we Fans had our way, Mother would have been released as Earthbound, establishing the Fan-Base early. Later, Eathbound as we know it would be Earthbound 2, and with the Sucess they might of had, Mother 3 may have been released here as Earthbound 3. Mayhaps the Starmen and Compendiumites should team up to Go back in time and change this, and Make the Dream Team make Chrono 3. (Or 4, if Radical Dreamers counts.) 8)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2009, 10:06:25 pm »
I can see the time machine now.

A mix of the Epoch and the Phase Distorter, called...

Need ideas for the name.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2009, 10:53:29 pm »
It's stupid to me because I don't like name changes at all. What's wrong with "Mother"? If anything I think Earthbound should be (un-)renamed Mother 2. Get with the program Ninny! Dragon Quest did it!

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2009, 10:58:44 pm »
About that... *Ahem* No Mother 4, and NOA Seems to not want to release Earthbound on the Virtual Console for Whatever reason. However, I believe in Japan it will be released. So.. WTF? Oh yeah, and The ESRB DID rate it at one point. They did it with Super Mario RPG, and it was released, so it seems that Earthbound MAY Be released, and possibly be renamed to Mother 2, and although Earthbound sounds more badass to me, Mother 2 looks cooler. And is more accurate.