Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 53975 times)

Toreadore

• Porrean (+50)
  • You have the reflexes of a drunk yak!
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #345 on: March 02, 2021, 12:20:52 am »
Decided to hop on board the Valheim train in its early stages.

I'm always super hesitant to play alpha/beta/non-gold games, but I hear nothing but great things about Valheim. Are you playing single player or with friends?

Single player. It runs mostly smoothly on my PC but sometimes the auto-save will freeze the screen for like a nanosecond. I hope that doesn't get to be a problem with more people in the same game. I haven't tried with friends just yet... mostly because they're more into other games at the moment and they're still trying to get me into one of them, lol. (I'm not opposed to it at this point but I wish my timing wasn't crap.)

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 02, 2021, 12:37:45 am »
There's actually talk of a possible LUNAR 3 revival right now.

I don't have a DS but everyone tells me to get one cause I love RPGs. I have Final Fantasy II for SNES, though.

Lol, nice I started up Alundra this morning and I already like it a lot so far. My game is in perfect shape there's the map included it looks brand new and the disc has no scratches on it looks brand new.

Yeah, I would see Alundra 2 on store shelfs a lot but I never bought it cause I never finished Alundra.

Yeah, I think people sleep on WD a lot their games have always been good to me. They're my favorite company but I haven't finished most of their games though I have many of them. It's all gonna change now though cause I'm going through my RPG library one by one and killing every game.

You ever play Growlanser? I need to play that for PS2. I also have heard a lot of good things about Dragon Force I have it for the Saturn but ya I haven't played it for more than 5 mins.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 02, 2021, 11:47:17 am »
Yeah, I think people sleep on WD a lot their games have always been good to me. They're my favorite company but I haven't finished most of their games though I have many of them. It's all gonna change now though cause I'm going through my RPG library one by one and killing every game.

They also had a few shooters with RPG elements, but I never played those.

You ever play Growlanser? I need to play that for PS2. I also have heard a lot of good things about Dragon Force I have it for the Saturn but ya I haven't played it for more than 5 mins.

I played the first one for the PSX like 20 years ago, haha. I remember liking it. Only the first one is on the PSX, though; the rest are PS2.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #348 on: March 02, 2021, 12:44:24 pm »
I have FF:4HOL in my giant backlog.

I'm currently going through HyperDimension Neptunia (PS3) because I wanted to play more Neptunia games. Speaking of, I'm going to pick up Neptunia Virtual Stars sometime today.

Also playing Tokyo Tattoo Girls on the Vita. Kind of a simple game, but should be an easy Platinum. Kayako's story involved seducing all her rivals.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: March 02, 2021, 09:48:23 pm »
Yes, WD is fond of shooters like I've always wanted to try out Elemental Gearbolt and Silhouette Mirage cause I heard they're good but I just never have. I'm gonna try to get them one day though. And I remember when the PS2 first came out I kept on seeing Silpheed and Gungriffon Blaze but again I just never got it.

Oh, I didn't know there was a Growlanser game on PS1, is it the Japanese version? I always confuse Growlanser with like Sakura Wars or something.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 05, 2021, 09:57:16 am »
Oh, I didn't know there was a Growlanser game on PS1, is it the Japanese version? I always confuse Growlanser with like Sakura Wars or something.

Yeah, I had to look it up. Apparently the first one is JP only, so I was mistaken in having played it. I had to do some research regarding what game I was thinking of, and turns out I was mixing it up with Azure Dreams, which isn't even a WD localization. My bad!

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 06, 2021, 04:55:29 am »
Lol! It's all good. I remember having had played Azure Dreams but I never beat it. I need to pick it up again sometime soon. 🙂

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 09, 2021, 10:14:47 pm »
So yesterday I picked up again a game I had not played in years: Crash Bandicoot The Wrath of Cortex.

I guess with It's About Time still being out of my reach for now, this is the Crash 4 I'll play in the meantime, hehe. Still, as a big Crash fan, the game's quite enjoyable. The game, of course, not including stuff like the loading times, haha. Soundtrack is also quite great, too. Stopped after finishing level 11 (just collecting crystals and gems for now, not aiming for relics until I get the standard ending). Been a fun ride so far.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2021, 10:01:25 am »
So yesterday I picked up again a game I had not played in years: Crash Bandicoot The Wrath of Cortex.

I was a latecomer to the PSX and the few games I did get to play were jRPGs. The Crash series any good? I remember trying the first one ages ago and the vantage threw me off; the kid version of me wasn't ready to get away from 2D side-scrolling Mario, haha...

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2021, 06:38:12 pm »
I was there when the PlayStation first came out and I remember having had played Crash Bandicoot a lot along with Final Fantasy VII and Star Gladiator. Good times... I usually only play RPGs these days but those types of games are fun too. I, myself, prefer Abe's Oddysee haha I loved that game! 🙂

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 11, 2021, 01:41:43 am »
Crash was the first video game I ever played. Ah, such good times...

I was a latecomer to the PSX and the few games I did get to play were jRPGs. The Crash series any good? I remember trying the first one ages ago and the vantage threw me off; the kid version of me wasn't ready to get away from 2D side-scrolling Mario, haha...

Oh, certainly. Fun platformers. Though Wrath of Cortex, already made in the PS2/NGC/Xbox era, isn't regarded as good. Crash suffers, or is perceive to suffer, from pretty much "Only the creator does it right" for the most part. After the games made by original developer Naughty Dog, the series has fluctuated in popularity, though at some point it kinda went dormant, until the original trilogy was remade, and now the series is back on its feet. And with It's About Time also being successful, it seems Crash's future is bright again.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2021, 07:51:23 pm »
Hey, guys - I 100% completed Alundra yesterday I'm pretty sure I got everything including all the Gilded Falcons. Pretty fun game overall makes me want to play Zelda lol. All of Working Designs's games are pretty good.

Next on the list not too sure was thinking of starting: Xenogears, Tales of Destiny or Suikoden? But my mind could change once I go to my pile lol?

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2021, 11:17:30 pm »
Maybe it's because I hang out with Xenoblade fans in another site... but I'd recommend going for Xenogears, heh. That or Suikoden.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: March 19, 2021, 03:47:21 am »
Oh! Funny enough, I was leaning towards playing Xenogears. I played it before and made it all the way to the final boss but I just never finished it for whatever reason, lol.

Also, I have a funny story. I let one of my friends borrow the game and the strategy guide, a couple months go by and I ask if he beat the game yet and he said he sold it to "pay his rent." I was like mortified, but he got me a game and some artbooks from Asia to make up for it.

I don't have the guide anymore but I think I can make it through w/o it. I enjoyed Xenosaga a lot I played the first one twice and I have the second one but only played 5 mins. I don't have the third one at all and I heard it's really hard to find now. I have no idea what's up with Xenoblade but I heard it's really good...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: March 19, 2021, 10:14:54 am »
Oh! Funny enough, I was leaning towards playing Xenogears.

I'd have to agree with this. Great game, although it suffers from the same Chrono Cross disease called "rushed second disk with too much exposition." Har har!

Also, I have a funny story. I let one of my friends borrow the game and the strategy guide, a couple months go by and I ask if he beat the game yet and he said he sold it to "pay his rent." I was like mortified, but he got me a game and some artbooks from Asia to make up for it.

Pretty much the same thing happened to me! I had a SNES cartridge of Chrono Trigger, including the original SNES box and internal guide book (which had a mini walkthrough to get up to the defeat of Yakra), and I lent it to a friend back in college. About a month later I asked him about it and he said he 'accidentally' sold it on eBay. Later on he changed his story and said that his place was robbed. He wouldn't reimburse me or replace it, and our friendship was severely weakened as a result. Damn you, Brett!

I don't have the guide anymore but I think I can make it through w/o it.

There's always Gamefaqs or other free websites!

I enjoyed Xenosaga a lot I played the first one twice and I have the second one but only played 5 mins. I don't have the third one at all and I heard it's really hard to find now. I have no idea what's up with Xenoblade but I heard it's really good...

I adore the Xenoblade Chronicles series. Great gameplay, the world design is stellar, and the story is engaging. It leans really heavy into anime tropes, though, but that's not something I mind. I also get 100+ hours of gameplay on each game, so I always feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Xenoblade I and II easily make it into my top 10 jRPG lists, and in all honesty, I think I enjoy them the most out of the Xeno series. They are very different tonally than Xenogears or Xenosaga, though.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is also excellent, although I have yet to finish it, so I don't feel as engaged by it as I do 1 and 2.