Author Topic: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)  (Read 54023 times)

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Re: What Are You Currently Playing? (Do NOT Just Make a List)
« Reply #255 on: April 28, 2009, 09:44:43 pm »
Though from what I've heard from everyone SO2 is the best in the series, so I can't imagine why First Departure being more like that would be a bad thing...

Universe mode in SO3? Are you planning on beating the post-game dungeons that way? Good luck...that'll be a challenge.

But imagine if they remade Trigger to be just like Cross in design. While certainly appealing to a wider audience, would it not take away from some of the charm of the original game? I definitely think it would. That's sort of what I meant with the Star Ocean remake. Although I must admit that they fleshed out some of the story a bit further, especially later in the game, and reading some things about that has got me almost interested enough to buy a PSP.

Most people like SO2 the best in the series, but it is really tough to judge because all the games are so great (yes, I even think SO3 is, despite its obvious flaws). I really did love the story of SO3 even if some of the characters were incredibly annoying, and the expansive dictionary really gave a feeling of deep history to the Pangalactic Federation and the planet Elicoor. I think it was, all things considered, well done.

But as far as well-rounded RPG's go, SO2 is probably the best for sure. I can't imagine any RPG fan being dissatisfied with that game, while I can see many people dissatisfied with SO3.

I recently beat SO4 and I have to say that it was a little bit of a letdown. I'll post a review once I'm finished beating the post-game dungeons. It suffered from horrible plot-pacing and abandoned storylines. It felt hastily and poorly done - definitely not up to the bar that the previous games raised. And then there was the limited character development and annoying characters present. The character Lymle is particularly annoying. Imagine a more annoying version of Roger from SO3 that you have no choice but to accept into your party for the duration of the game.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #256 on: April 28, 2009, 10:40:37 pm »
I'm just going through Universe to go through it again, really...I have no plans on doing the bonus dungeon at all...maybe I'll think about it in a 3rd game if it ever comes to that...I just want this playthrough to be non-Peppita, non-Roger (maybe non-Adray as well) and hopefully that will make me feel somewhat better about the game...

And, did you quote the wrong part or put my quote in the wrong part of your post or something? Seems like that quote was meant to be after that first comment...

Anyways, what do you mean the design of Cross...? If you mean they changed the character designer away from Toriyama then, yes, I agree whole-heartedly...but if you just mean they made it 3D, then no, not at all...It would be spectacular! 2D wasn't a real stylistic choice in order to convey a certain feeling back then, it was more of a necessity...If they can remake it in 3D well (and Toriyama's style has already proven itself well in such realm) then I think that would be best.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 30, 2009, 02:06:30 pm »
So, I decided yesterday to try the Pit of 100 Trials in Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door for the first time.

Defeated at Floor 81, and very close to leveling up.

Tried again this morning, and did it this time. I got VERY lucky in the last floors, managed to level up four times.

And as for Bonetail, Piercing Blow all the way, healing when needed.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: April 30, 2009, 06:09:21 pm »
grats bro

Try to keep such nothing posts ("Thanks!", "Good job!", "Agreed!" etc) to PMs.
                                                                                               ~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 09:28:17 pm by V_Translanka »

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 01, 2009, 12:07:00 am »
I'm just going through Universe to go through it again, really...I have no plans on doing the bonus dungeon at all...maybe I'll think about it in a 3rd game if it ever comes to that...I just want this playthrough to be non-Peppita, non-Roger (maybe non-Adray as well) and hopefully that will make me feel somewhat better about the game...

I'm assuming you've beaten the post-game dungeons already? If not, they are very fun and challenging. It's one of the things I look forward to in Star Ocean games. Few RPG's that I can think of offer a true challenge like that.

And, did you quote the wrong part or put my quote in the wrong part of your post or something? Seems like that quote was meant to be after that first comment...

Yeah, I did. I noticed it after I posted too, but I was honestly too lazy to go back and change it.

idioticidioms

« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2009, 03:30:31 pm »
Playing through FFXII again. Good game, but definitely is more about side quests than the main storyline, seeing as how most of your really hardcore boss fights will occur outside of the main storyline in a side quest that spans the whole game.

Also playing through The Bard's Tale for PS2. A pretty funny game with a sarcastic, quick-witted Bard as your main Hero. Save the Princess, rawr.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of Spirits for PS2, not a bad little RPG, and not a bad story to go with it. Has two races pretty much at war in it, the Humans and the Deimos, which are pretty much just demons and two people with the blood of both Deimos and human running through their veins are supposed to bring peace back to a troubled time.

Devil May Cry 3 is a really good game that I'm in the middle of helping a friend beat. Dante and his Brother Vergil, both carrying the demon blood of their Father and the human blood of their Mother, meet again in this game for a kind of twisted family reunion as Vergil tries to reopen the gate between the Demon World and the Human World which their Father had sealed a few thousand years before and Dante tries to stop him at every turn, along with a mysterious female Demon Hunter. Reminiscent of the fighting style in God of War and God of War 2, while still retaining much of it's own personality.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 26, 2009, 05:26:06 pm »
Reminiscent of the fighting style in God of War and God of War 2, while still retaining much of it's own personality.
It's the other way around buddy.

idioticidioms

« Reply #262 on: May 29, 2009, 04:34:17 pm »
yes, well. I played the God of War games first, so to me it's the way I typed it. I didn't care enough to do research on the games before posting.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #263 on: June 03, 2009, 11:46:24 pm »
Sadly, I've been playing a lot of Pokémon. I finally got all 150 in Leafgreen, and I'm breeding my online team on Platinum right now.

Also, I've been re-playing Banjo-Tooie, and trying to get 100%. It's my second all-time favorite game!

I'll probably re-start Chrono Cross and just go with my instincts instead of going -- "If I do this, then THIS will happen, therefore I should do THIS instead!" Because I've read all the discussion on this game I already know what will happeeeeennn. I probably know more about CC than some people who have actually played it...

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 04, 2009, 05:41:10 am »
I tried to play Rise Of The Phoenix (snes) last night for aobut 15 minutes.  Then my head began to erupt so I started over with Demo mode.  Even using the Zsnes fast forward jam it was VERY long and I still didn't understand much of what in the hell was going on.  Apparently  I wasn't made out to be a Chinese general, even though the events take place before "China" existed.  I'm not the one to be asking.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 06, 2009, 05:18:31 am »
I am playing Devil May Cry 1 and 4 at the moment. I only started with 3 when I got my hands on a ps2. So I never played 1 and it has 8 years already and I can't believe how awesome still is.  The gameplay of the game still in early stages not as good as in 3 but still awesome and is way harder than 3 and 4 but Easy mode is way too easy.
DMC 4 is good too. I am looking forward to Bayonneta which is a game made by one of the creators of DMC.

Yeah God of war gameplay is similar to Devil May Cry but it's way better. And is different and more epic, Devil May Cry is way harder but Ninja Gaiden Sigma is even harder I still haven't finish the game.

Brink-of-Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music is the power of the imagination
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #266 on: June 07, 2009, 08:58:22 pm »
I am now playing Front Mission 3. Never played it before, but I heard it's damn good.

VidKid369

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 12, 2020, 09:24:52 pm »
Hey, guys! I just got through Chrono Trigger (SNES), so... I thought I'd say what I'm playing next!

I started up a brand new file for Star Ocean The Second Story (PSX) yesterday, and I went with Claude's storyline, lol... I just want to get lost in the Item Creation and food battling. I've also never beaten Rena's scenario.

froodo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #268 on: August 12, 2020, 11:39:53 pm »
I'm currently playing Minecraft: Java Edition and occasionally some emulated games, mainly PS1 ones (testing Duckstation, a new emulator. Really like it).

I tried to play Steam's Chrono Trigger port not long ago for livestream, but got dizzy. I dont know but something in the image (framerate, idk) isnt right on that port.

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 13, 2020, 12:49:24 am »
With the new patch that dropped yesterday, FFXIV. Also some Animal Crossing New Horizons with my mom and Minecraft with my brothers on occasion, but those are more of relaxing "time wasters" more than anything.

I actually find it really difficult to finish games anymore. :?