Author Topic: The moon(s)  (Read 2399 times)

Jormungand

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
The moon(s)
« on: February 15, 2009, 12:09:51 am »
Are the moons ever mentioned, either in the Japanese versions of any game in the series or Ultimania materials, with regard to anything EXCEPT the sixth and seventh dragons? It's something that just popped into my head after a recent CC playthrough.

Anyone who has played FFIV & VIII understands the potential significance of something as seemingly trivial as a moon ;). I wonder if Kato had anything in mind for the Chrono planet's nearest satellite(s)? That they are merely celestial objects mirroring the existence of the dragon gods is all we really get from the English versions of the games. But obviously they aren't just images projected onto the sky--they exist, and are apparently terrestrial. Their prominence in the night sky from the Viper Manor view suggests they are either really close to the planet, or really freakin' huge. Of course, more sinister plot elements notwithstanding, this makes for great scenery.

More fan musings to speculate on. There's probably nothing special about them at all. Maybe ask Starky?

Of course, the most obvious piece of fanfiction that would come from this is turning the moon into one of Lavos' many intergalactic pitstops; that in the main planet's prehistory, its moon was actually lush and abundant with life, but was sucked dry and left in desolation after Lavos had his proverbial way with it.

Then there's the second moon, smaller, closer, and blood red. Ever wonder what it feels like to stand in a desert of red sand?

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
Re: The moon(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 12:59:34 am »
Their prominence in the night sky from the Viper Manor view suggests they are either really close to the planet, or really freakin' huge.
Maybe they're getting closer?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2009, 01:14:47 am »
Yeah, the moon is huge. But in some games, the moon is much bigger than usual, for example, Castlevania...

The moon in RD is huge too. But think if the distance between the moon and the planet is reduced by half, the moon will look twice in size, so it is acceptable.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/b/b9/Vipermanorpass.png
http://www.chronocompendium.com/images/wiki/9/90/Terrace.png

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:17:41 am »
Also the atmosphere can cause refraction, giving the moon a larger than normal appearance, with discoloration.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 10:19:49 am »
The only time I know of any moon even making an appearance in CT is during the Zeal fight atop the Black Omen. I mentioned before in some far gone topic that it looks like Harle's red moon, but like FouCaptain just mentioned, there are atmospheric conditions that can cause any moon to appear red.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 12:20:51 pm »
If I recall right, the second moon was supposedly pulled into world from the Dragonian Dimension. Given that the Dragon God is a "biological machine used to control the powers of nature," as per Belthasar, and given Harle's and the Dragon God's connection to the moon, it might be that the second moon is the Dragon God (or the biological machine that controls it). Like a moon controls water, the Dragon Moon controls the magic of nature.

But that is pure speculation with no real support in game.

So no, the second moon really isn't mentioned expect in relation to the Dragon God.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 12:28:01 pm »
Are you sure that wasn't Belthasar's metaphor in order to explain why there could be a 7th dragons?

-----------
Hmm, it seems Belthasar had metioned in his home dimension, there's only 1 moon...well.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 12:29:38 pm by utunnels »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »
The only time I know of any moon even making an appearance in CT is during the Zeal fight atop the Black Omen. I mentioned before in some far gone topic that it looks like Harle's red moon, but like FouCaptain just mentioned, there are atmospheric conditions that can cause any moon to appear red.
The moon also appears at Magus' Castle. It frames the giant dragon on top of the castle when you first approach the door, and you can see it peeking around the tower when you're climbing those stairs with the Roly Bombers.
Very yellow, very big.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 05:28:06 pm »
If I recall right, the second moon was supposedly pulled into world from the Dragonian Dimension.

That's the most accepted theory we have, but something really bizarre is that the sky above Lucca's house apparently had only one moon. It's really puzzling.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 07:09:14 pm »
If I recall right, the second moon was supposedly pulled into world from the Dragonian Dimension.

That's the most accepted theory we have, but something really bizarre is that the sky above Lucca's house apparently had only one moon. It's really puzzling.

Do we have any reason to believe that the phases of the moons are in sync?

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 12:28:12 am »
Hmm, right, phases of moon.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 02:28:32 am »
Mmh, maybe... But what about Belthasar's quote:

Belthasar:
   There were six Dragons
   you knew of and one more
   hidden Dragon you didn't...
   Like the second moon
   that once was lost,
   but later was found...
   Although the same planet,
   my world didn't have two
   moons!

When was the second moon "lost"?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 10:57:10 am »
Very good question.

However, Kato's comments make things confussing:

Question: The world in the stage in 'Chrono Trigger' had only one moon. And that same world as the stage in 'Chrono Cross' had two moons. Why would that be so?

Answer: As a result of the time clash, the dimensions split. The point in time where Chronopolis and Dinopolis was hurled to, another moon came in existence.

As taken from this interview: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Ultimania_Interview.html

If we combine those commetns with Belthasar's, it would seem that the moon was created, lost, then found.

But if it was created in the Dragonian dimension, when it was pulled into the Keystone dimension I suppose one could say it was "created" in this dimension but lost in the Dragonian dimension. The dragonians, however, found it.

Though that would be the result of the Time Crash, not the dimensional split. I have no idea why the split would have influenced two moons.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:14:06 am by Thought »

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 08:42:54 am »

Lakonthegreat

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Love this community, and care for it as your own.
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 04:32:36 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5UMohX62kw

Hmm, 2 moons...

Don't think I haven't thought about that.

There's also a moon connector between Final Fantasy IV and VIII. Talk to Professor Cory in Agart and he says something about one of the moons turning red. Same thing happened in VIII when the Lunatic Pandora incident happened.