Author Topic: could lavos's body have been a organic space ship?  (Read 13120 times)

Cerestryo

• Earthbound (+15)
  • dear journal, 2052 sucked.
    • View Profile
could lavos's body have been a organic space ship?
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:09:09 pm »
Is it possible that lavos's shell have been a organic space ship? It would make sense of why it's crash didn't kill it. and explain the inner body having had been the control and lavos being the pilot

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: could lavos's body have been a organic space ship?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 06:23:11 pm »
I guess that would make Lavos similar to Species 8472 from Star Trek Voyager -- I think they had biological spaceships. It's certainly not out of the question here either, considering Lavos' DNA absorption abilities. Maybe it has some organ that secretes metallic substances.

Cerestryo

• Earthbound (+15)
  • dear journal, 2052 sucked.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 08:09:30 pm »
it would also similar to the Borg because they assimilate almost everything

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 10:20:21 pm »
I guess that would make Lavos similar to Species 8472 from Star Trek Voyager -- I think they had biological spaceships. It's certainly not out of the question here either, considering Lavos' DNA absorption abilities. Maybe it has some organ that secretes metallic substances.

Species 8472 DID use bio-organic space ships...  They also came from a dimension in which outer space wasn't a vaccuum.  Instead they called it "fluidic space" and it seemed to have some sort of fluidic property...

As for Lavos' shell being an organic space ship?  Very likely.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 10:20:35 am »
haven't seen voyager, but there was an episode of TNG titled "Tin Man", that had a living spaceship which had immense power.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:29:43 am »
This is also discussed here, if you're interested.
But, yes; Lavos is quite similar to Species 8472...

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 11:42:22 am »
The last post in that other thread mentioned what I just said...Gomtuu is "Tin Man".  I am inclined to believe Lavos is similar to such a creature/ship.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:11:02 pm »
I always viewed the Lavos shell as a type of living space-ship, but also as a structure which magnified the time abilities of the Lavos Core. You'll notice that when you fight the Lavos core, you see the "blue distortion" background similar to the times when you fight the shell. So I always assumed it served a dual purpose - or even three purposes - as a spaceship, as a magnifying device for Lavos' power over time, and as a shield of sorts to protect Lavos from atmospheric re-entry and impacting the planet.

And then there is the fourth potential purpose of protecting the Lavos Core from annoying time travelling kids that wanna kick his ass.  :D If all planets have "Entity" existences within them, then I imagine pretty much any planet that Lavos impacts with intelligent life on it would eventually lead to some drama just like Chrono Trigger.

...and speaking of organic spaceships, has anyone here seen the sci-fi show Farscape that used to be on TV awhile back? That show was weird as hell, but I loved it so much.

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 04:25:05 am »
After spending way too much time thinking about Lavos, I'm starting to believe that his shell might be a type of space ship.

One thing that I find interesting about Lavos's shell, is that it appears to have no eyes of anysort on it.
The problem with the shell having no eyes is that Lavos would not be able to see where he was going in space.
This seems kind of unsafe which could rule out Lavos's shell as a space ship of some sort.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2009, 12:43:28 pm »
but wait a moment. thats not entirely true. couldnt the beak thing be an eye or some other form of optical organ? couldnt lavos see out of it to see where he was going? or did he even need to see? perhaps he was guided by some kind of biological program that led him to a planet.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 05:10:08 pm »
Hey, Fiber optics can be tiny and still send light signals, and we have that stuff here on earth in mass quantity.

Who's to say Lavos doesn't have something like that in each of its spikes, for instance? Or perhaps it doesn't even need to see, maybe it just has a really good navigation system from the start?

Lack of eyes is hardly a reason to doubt anything. Just look at any troglobite. Cave-dwelling animals who have adapted to lack of sunlight. http://scienceray.com/biology/zoology/animals-with-no-eyes-cave-adaptation/

Crono666

• Guardian (+100)
  • Queen Zeal is best Waifu
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 03:13:27 am »
Are there any good pictures of Lavos?
The only real pictures that anyone has are the sprites which are not the best thing to use if you want to see if Lavos has eyes on his shell.

Faust

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2009, 10:29:50 am »
Not having an eye would not necessary lend to an object being incapable of navigation

For all we know, it has optical glands (somewhere) which function like that of a fish's eyesight. To examine images of Lavos and realize that it does not have human eyeballs is unreliable in my opinion.

This reminds me of bats who have poor to none eyesight, maneuvering, primarily, through the use of sonar so perhaps it negates all forms of  optics.

Either way, it does bring up an important question: Exactly how does Lavos undergo sensation?

Alright, alright *steps of soapbox*

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2009, 12:26:49 pm »
After spending way too much time thinking about Lavos, I'm starting to believe that his shell might be a type of space ship.

One thing that I find interesting about Lavos's shell, is that it appears to have no eyes of anysort on it.
The problem with the shell having no eyes is that Lavos would not be able to see where he was going in space.
This seems kind of unsafe which could rule out Lavos's shell as a space ship of some sort.

There isn't much to see in space, and given speeds necessary for escape velocity from a solar system, if Lavos could see it, it would be too late. Other sensory organs would be necessary.

But in general, I maintain that Lavos' shell is just as much Lavos as any other part of him. It is still an organic spaceship, in a sense, but it is still him as well.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 01:25:18 pm »
It makes perfect sense if the "shell" was in fact a spaceship.
Also, I am with Thought on this: there's not much to see in space, and, the less openings/"windows" it had, the more resistent it would be.
it's perfectly seeable that the only weak point of the shell is it's "canon"/"entrance".