Author Topic: The Temporal Research Lab and... Project Kid  (Read 4362 times)

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
The Temporal Research Lab and... Project Kid
« on: January 03, 2009, 04:00:33 pm »
I haven't played the Dimensional Vortices (yet), but apparently there's a Temporal Research Lab in the 2,300 A.D. vortex, isn't it? Is there anything special there storywise? Who created this Temporal Research Lab? Could it be related to the Time Research Lab mentioned in Chrono Cross as being the precursor to Chronopolis (officially Chronopolis Military Research Center)?

Quote from: Chronopolis Chief in CC
   The Time Research Lab, which
   served as the foundation of
   this research center,
   appeared out of nowhere in the
   year 2300 and was headed up
   by the scientific genius,
   Belthasar.
   However, at the peak of his
   career, he simply vanished.
   We've continued his work
   and have come this far.
   Our work is almost complete.
   Well, it's about time
   I headed back...
   The experiment's about
   to begin...

It is generally assumed that when the Chief says "appeared out of nowhere", it's a figure of speech rather than something literal (as in, if no one ever managed to make successful research in time travel for 2,300 years and then Belthasar suddenly showed up and made himself known as a great time scientist, it can be said that his lab appeared out of nowhere even if it actually took a few months to be built). However, with the appearance of a "Temporal" Research Lab in CTDS, what should we assume now? Could Belthasar have built Chronopolis only after finding this Lab in the Dimensional Vortex and studying its technology? Could the Entity have created this vortex in 2,300 A.D. for the very purpose of making Belthasar launch Project Kid and save itself and the universe?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 04:04:23 pm by Chrono'99 »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: The Temporal Research Lab and... Project Kid
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 04:07:09 pm »
Well, I haven't studied the script yet, so I'm not sure if the lab is ever identified by name or if the research is of a temporal nature. It's...an extremely hostile place; your time there is spent trying to avoid the security system, which tries to kill you basically in every single hallway.

Although now I wonder about these locations. Kato had to make them with something in mind...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 05:58:00 pm »
The 2300AD vortex is definitely special because it's the only vortex out of the three that has any kind of story; when your original three party members get stuck in the futuristic laboratory, your reserve party members have to bail them out. I really loved Magus and Lucca arguing about what to do while she was banging on that sealed door when I played it; it reminded me of the garbage crusher scene in Star Wars.

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2009, 06:57:24 pm »
Magus and Lucca argued amongst themselves? Damm... I had Magus, Frog and Ayla in my party at the time. :'(

And I had never ever thought about that area in Dimensional Vortex that it might be related to CC in some way.

EDIT: Said Temporal Vortex, instead of Dimensional Vortex... lol
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 07:06:10 pm by Fireseal »

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 07:22:21 pm »
Frozen Cliffs, Volcano, Temporal Research Lab...

I can't help but think these locations are going to be of importance if they do make a third game. I've tried to look at all the new content in the light that it was put in to either strengthen the connection to Chrono Cross (Lost Sanctum, Time's Eclipse, Dalton) or to add locations in that will play a role in Chrono Break (Frozen Cliffs, Volcano, Temporal Research Lab, possibly Eclipse Magus, Dalton).

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 01:16:27 am »
The Time Research Lab metioned by the chief might be from another time line, yeah, there seems to be some connection to the dimensional vortices.
But the 2300 dimensional vortex is in a destroyed future, not the future of CC time line.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 04:02:06 am »
Do we know how well the CC line is translated?

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 04:04:50 am »
Can we confirm from the lines that Belthasar comes with the lab? Or he just takes charge of it later?

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 05:16:09 am »
It is generally assumed that Belthasar created it, but it's difficult to know for sure. The "Time Research Lab" is only mentioned once in all of CC.

But the 2300 dimensional vortex is in a destroyed future, not the future of CC time line.
But perhaps the Dimensional Vortices still exist in the CC timeline, since they're connected to the Dream Devourer (which evolves into the Time Devourer).

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:04 am »
Maybe I'm wrong, but...

この研究センターの基礎となった時間研究室は、2300年にどこからともなく現れて頭角をあらわした天才的科学者ガッシュによって、設立された。

The Time Research Lab, which was this research center's foundation, was established by the genius scientist, Belthasar, who appeared from nowhere in 2300 A.D.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 07:39:00 am by utunnels »

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:03:44 pm »
I suspected when I threw that line through Google translate that it might be Gasch/Belthasar who appeared out of nowhere, not the lab.
I guess that line should be checked carefully.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:48:26 pm »
Yeah, I remembered that script link you posted last year, so I checked it today.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 05:23:20 pm »
It's a feasible scenario - Belthasar clearly had knowledge of time and dimensions, and he had particular knowledge of the Dragonian dimension, it would make sense that they would put the Time Research Lab in CTDS for that reason, and also because it would tie it into Cross even more.

ZealKnight

• Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 05:44:36 pm »
It's a feasible scenario - Belthasar clearly had knowledge of time and dimensions, and he had particular knowledge of the Dragonian dimension, it would make sense that they would put the Time Research Lab in CTDS for that reason, and also because it would tie it into Cross even more.

This might be off topic but how did he discover the other dimensions? I always thought he found it after he arrived in the Lab, but this sorta threw me off.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 07:21:09 pm »
No, I meant that clearly Belthasar had temporal and dimensional knowledge since he planned out the entirety of Project Kid, and that he probably gained that knowledge while working in the Temporal Research Lab that he founded, which is I think what you are saying too.