Author Topic: Schala's Diary, A Possibility.  (Read 1544 times)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Schala's Diary, A Possibility.
« on: January 03, 2009, 04:05:38 am »
We all know CC's story begins with Schala's diary, and also ends with the diary, which make the games looks like under someone's narration.
But could it possible that the diary does not actually have something to do with the game's story? As Kato pointed out, in those parallel worlds there would be respective developing stories. Perhaps that is just a way of description, the diary is not actually written by Shala or Kid in game, and that'll explain the inexplicable wedding picture on the desk.

Before the ending, Kid says(or Schala speaks in Kid's accent) she'll find Serge. That probably means in the new unified time line, she has not met Serge. And later, Serge awakes at Opassa Beach with Leena, that's before the time he ran into Kid. Then the the diary scene appears.

If the diary is written by Schala or Kid, there are still some problems to be solved: if she has the memory, she will certainly know where Serge goes, if she doesn't have the memory, well, how could that diary be written?

Quote from: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Ultimania_Developer_Interviews.html
I – So for a good ending movie, you tried to use the crossing point of a young girl and her other side to imagine “a story in another dimension.”

Kato – Yeah, like that. I thought that was the perfect material to use to give meaning to a parallel world. In each independent parallel world there would be respective developing stories. If we did it that way, people at home could use the experience of Serge in the game’s worlds to think about the reality of their own world. Maybe somewhere in our world there’s a Kid, and surely someday we will find and meet. For a long time I’ve wanted realizations developed from games to not just stop with the game, and now I feel I’ve done it right. There’s a message that comes after the ending movie finished, and I hope that all players will understand these words that have come from my heart. That’s what I’d love to have happen.

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
Re: Schala's Diary, A Possibility.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 05:16:35 am »
I had this topic confused with my game project, hehe.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 10:29:46 pm »
I had this topic confused with my game project, hehe.

How's that coming along, now that you mention it?

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 03:09:06 am »
Interesting.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 02:58:22 am »
The diary itself isn't so much a direct narrative element of the game, nor is it a driving factor.  Therefore its significance is more or less designed to give forced perspective from a character in the game that otherwise doesn't work into the dialogue, which generally means the author's/creators of Cross wouldn't have had an answer to your question at the time of the games development; it's a gimmick.

However, the writing of the diary is either an element that exists because any Schala/Kid could've written it throughout time, or if it is an outside sources narrative, then it'd probably be connected to one of the guru's as they have the connection to Schala and can be outside the flows of the game needed for such a perspective.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:20:38 am »
I seem to remember another Chrono series game that begins and ends with a diary, and a person looking forward to meeting someone else again. Hm.

I find it much more likely that post-Cross Kid is simply reading old diary entries long after the fact, which allows for the wedding picture.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 03:30:46 am »
Hehe, I said it is more like a way of description, because I'm really not sure, perhaps it is a lazy conclusion.
If you treate it as an actual diary from Schala or Kid and begin to analyze the ending with it, it makes things more complex.

I can't recall if there's a movie or novel is written like that, sorry. I hope someone else can give me an example.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 03:34:38 am »
Hehe, I said it is more like a way of description, because I'm really not sure, perhaps it is a lazy conclusion.
If you treate it as an actual diary from Schala or Kid and begin to analyze the ending with it, it makes things more complex.

I can't recall if there's a movie or novel is written like that, sorry. I hope someone else can give me an example.

Ah, so youre saying that Schala is simply imagining Serge, and writing the story of Cross as a book? Reminds me of a low-tech Total Recall.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 03:39:03 am »
Yeah, I mean the one who signed her name as Schala "Kid" Zeal, is not the Schala or Kid in game.
Whether she's writing a story of Cross is not important, maybe she's writing something else, the game just used the beginning end ending of that book.

cdreed3000

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 05:02:14 pm »
I don't think they would use text from a book at the beginning and end of the game unless it somehow related to what's going on.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 09:17:31 pm »
You want a novel example? Catcher in the Rye is Holden's journal for his therapist I believe.