Author Topic: One scene I just DONT get...  (Read 6308 times)

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
One scene I just DONT get...
« on: March 28, 2005, 01:27:55 am »
After you defeat Magus, and before you wake up in Ayla's hut, there's a little sequence where Marle wakes Crono up in his house.  What the hell does this mean?  I've played through the game literally close to 150 times, and STILL don't understand it.  It seems to me like its a dream, but also a pointless one with no plot significance.  

The closest I've come to is it foreshadowing the ending where Crono wakes up and the soldiers tell Crono he's going to be executed... but I doubt that would be it... foreshadowing the ending is kinda lame..

I've also thought maybe this part was horribly lost in translation.

anyway, any theories?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 01:35:28 am »
Simple: Crono wants to be with Marle someday.

doulifee

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.doulifee.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 03:16:57 am »
the ideal timeline ^_^everybody is happy etc etc

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 05:27:54 am »
At the beginning of the game, you see Crono woken up by his mom in their house, before he goes to the Millenial Fair. In the Japanese version of the game, this chapter is called "The Journey Begins! Dream of the Millenium Festival" (instead of just "The Millenial Fair").

After defeating Magus, you see Crono woken up by Marle in their house... before he wakes up "for real" in Ayla's Hut.

Then you learn much later that the whole adventure is like, the dream of the planet...

I believe the game (the whole series actually) just wants to mess up dreams and reality, to show that dreams can come true and reality can be like a dream yada yada...

Just my personal interpretation :)

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2005, 02:46:50 pm »
I think it is an attempt by Kato to establish Crono's love for Marle. We know that Marle likes Crono by that point, but we have no solid idea how Crono feels. The dream sequence shows that Crono has feelings and what not.

Peaceman

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2005, 01:12:21 am »
According to the Nintendo Strategy Guide, it is just a dream that Crono is having.  As to what the dream means, well it's obvious...Crono likes Marle.  End of story.

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 05:12:22 pm »
and who wouldent with a cute pixalated tusch like that? hottness!

Magus-X

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 03:11:07 am »
Yes it is pointless because it has nothing to do with the game. Why do you think those people who made chrono trigger would make a idea like that. Totally useless scene.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 02:30:48 pm »
they did it to try and give crono some character development.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 06:48:41 pm »
Yes, just one of the many things that takes Crono lightyears ahead of Serge...har har!

Ed

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2005, 02:36:09 am »
Hey.... it's hard to give a silent protagonist character building scenes.... y'know?

JonnyCyo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2006, 02:42:07 am »
Haha.
Crono is the BEST silent protagonist out there. Give him props becuase besides Mario RPG's main italian, Crono has some sweet character development. This dream is just another little taste that you gotta read in to. And ya, Marle is a babe. I named her Carli after my girlfriend who looks strikingly familiar...

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
Re: ..
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2006, 07:31:05 am »
Quote from: JonnyCyo
Haha.
Crono is the BEST silent protagonist out there. Give him props becuase besides Mario RPG's main italian, Crono has some sweet character development. This dream is just another little taste that you gotta read in to. And ya, Marle is a babe. I named her Carli after my girlfriend who looks strikingly familiar...

Crono hardly has any character development. It's just his journey, he has no back story. Magus, Marle, Lucca, Robo, Frog and Ayla do. Crono is the only person missing out. Hence, he sux.

As for Serge, he's lightyears ahead of Crono in character development. He may be silent, but those FMV's of him thinking of Kid when she's dead, and the emotion he showed as Lynx when she was stabbed showed it all.
And man, I was soo sad for Harle when she was crying.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2006, 09:53:55 am »
Yeah Crono isn't really developed. The only stuff he did was shaking his head like saying "yeah" or "okay", and sacrificing himself in the Ocean Palace. Overall, the most clever stuff he ever did was proposing "Robo" when Marle asked him what name they could give to the robot R66-Y :wink:

JonnyCyo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: ..
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2006, 10:42:12 pm »
Crono hardly has any character development. It's just his journey, he has no back story. Magus, Marle, Lucca, Robo, Frog and Ayla do. Crono is the only person missing out. Hence, he sux.

And man, I was soo sad for Harle when she was crying.[/quote]

Err...ok.
But the goal of the silent protagonist is for the gamer to assume that role. Square did an excellent job of making Crono as impartial to everything as well as he was. It was our journey as muc as his. Therefor he was the BEST silent protagonist, allowing us to draw on our own emotions rather than be influenced by too many outside cutscenes. ANy good RPG with a siletn lead should be the same way, in my opinion.