Author Topic: CT:DS Sales Numbers  (Read 7153 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
CT:DS Sales Numbers
« on: January 01, 2009, 04:03:21 pm »
http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=24237
Are there any more reliable sources for sales figures out there?

How do you guys think it's doing? The World Ends With You, by contrast, has only sold .34 million -- though Japanese sales aren't factored into that number so it's really difficult to compare how CT:DS is faring against competitors.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: CT:DS Sales Numbers
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2009, 04:08:46 pm »
I really hope they getting newcomers not just old fans of the series, unfortunately that not something you can easily check.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 04:35:11 pm »
And in comparison, http://www.vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=13437&region=All, Final Fantasy IV for the DS has sold 1.04 million and has been out for quite a while. And The World Ends With You has also been out quite a bit longer than CTDS. .71 million copies for CTDS, that's amazing. And its first week of sales is just phenomenal.

Good find, man, I've been looking for this for a while.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 04:37:40 pm »
Thanks for the FFIV comparison, fascinating. It's doing pretty well then!

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 05:08:00 pm »
Indeed it is! And just look at it, FFIV has been out in America since 07/22/08 and has sold .37 million copies, while CT has been out in America since 11/25/08 and has sold .29 million copies! Even with a four month head start, FFIV leads by less than .1 million. And unlike the games we've compared it to, CTDS is due for a release in Europe in February. I honestly believe its sales figures are going to be stellar.

This topic's made me so damn giddy.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 05:10:53 pm »
Nice, seems it's doing really well. I'm eager to see how CTDS fares in Europe...

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 05:11:59 pm »
I'd certainly like to think Square Enix is testing the waters here. Kato and Mitsuda teamed up for Sands of Destruction already, so a Dream Team alignment is still possible...though by "Dream Team" I really just mean Kato and Mitsuda. :D

Zipp Dementia

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 05:59:49 pm »
Right, Faust, I agree.  I've been hoping since announcement that CT:DS was just paving the way for another Chrono game.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 06:07:10 pm »
I think you also have to factor in the fact that FFIV has gotten, what? 4? 5? Previous releases. Chrono Trigger's only had two (including original release).

I'd certainly like to think Square Enix is testing the waters here. Kato and Mitsuda teamed up for Sands of Destruction already, so a Dream Team alignment is still possible...though by "Dream Team" I really just mean Kato and Mitsuda. :D

Don't you mean World Destruction?

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 06:22:21 pm »
Dragon Quest IV DS sold 90k copies in North America and 140k copies in Europe (both versions were released in September 2008), so if this is any indication for CT DS, we might be in for a nice surprise.

Don't you mean World Destruction?

The game got a new title for the English version (in addition to Mitsuda expanding the soundtrack and the developers tweaking the gameplay difficulty).

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 06:27:00 pm »
Good find, man, I've been looking for this for a while.

.... I've been using this sites for weeks. I would have posted the link had I known it was a secret.

In any case, what do you suppose could happen if this port manages to sell over a million, or even 2 million units? It might just force them to make another sequel, or maybe they already have one in mind :) .

Psh, are you going to denied the selling power of Akira Toriyama because of some grudge you have on forums?  For shame, I thought you wanted this series to do well :( .

Although if they have Nobuteru giant robots, that would be awesome too :p .
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 06:33:05 pm by lockgar »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2009, 06:41:58 pm »
I wrote in another thread I happen to prefer Toriyama's basic character designs over Yuuki's, so I wouldn't mind. Though, if I really had a choice in the matter I'd pick either Senri Kita (recent Fire Emblem games) or Fumi Ishikawa (Suikoden II, III) for the artwork. I'd really like to see someone re-interpret characters designed by Toriyama.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that -- either the Valkyrie Profile artist or whoever did the character art for Drakengard II. Delish.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 06:47:19 pm by FaustWolf »

lockgar

• Architect of Kajar
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2009, 06:53:43 pm »
I wrote in another thread I happen to prefer Toriyama's basic character designs over Yuuki's, so I wouldn't mind. Though, if I really had a choice in the matter I'd pick either Senri Kita (recent Fire Emblem games) or Fumi Ishikawa (Suikoden II, III) for the artwork. I'd really like to see someone re-interpret characters designed by Toriyama.

EDIT: Wait, scratch that -- either the Valkyrie Profile artist or whoever did the character art for Drakengard II. Delish.
I see....

As long as they avoid this we should all be fine.  :lol:

« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 07:05:30 pm by lockgar »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 07:08:01 pm »
Ha! That's probably why I didn't suggest Tetsuya Nomura, though I do adore his art as well.

Come to think of it though, I really wouldn't mind seeing Dalton in a luxurious Porrean-tailored trenchcoat in Chrono Break. You see, he'd have a trenchcoat and an eyepatch, and that makes it...new.

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 07:30:55 pm »
Ha! That's probably why I didn't suggest Tetsuya Nomura, though I do adore his art as well.

Come to think of it though, I really wouldn't mind seeing Dalton in a luxurious Porrean-tailored trenchcoat in Chrono Break. You see, he'd have a trenchcoat and an eyepatch, and that makes it...new.

Dalton in an eyepatch would look... strange. Wouldn't be the worst thing they could do with him though.

...for some reason I just had the image of Flea giving Dalton a 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' style makeover. My brain just exploded, excuse me while I cleanup the pieces...