Author Topic: Yu-Gi-Oh  (Read 771 times)

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
Yu-Gi-Oh
« on: December 27, 2008, 06:13:24 pm »
Recently I bought $15 worth of Yu-Gi-Oh Cards. I bought a set with two booster packs and a secret rare card. I also bought an additional booster pack. When I opened the first two boosters I found every card I ever dreamed of owning as a child. Pieces of Exodia, Red-Eyes Black Dragon, and all the cards you wish you could find on your first try. Previously (last year) I bought two booster packs and a deck. The two booster packs contained all the Sphinx cards in the movie. The cat, the dog, and the two-faced one. WHERE WERE THESE WHEN EVERYONE PLAYED YU-GI-OH? I WOULDA RULED THE WORLD!!!! Is it me or are these "rare" cards too damn easy to find these days?

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
Re: Yu-Gi-Oh
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 06:34:32 pm »
There are still Forums out there. I help run one but it died after the second day.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 06:35:23 pm »
Common
Normal Rare
Short Print
Super Short Print
Holofoil Rare
Rare
Super Rare
Ultra Rare
Ultimate Rare
Ghost Rare
Holographic Rare
Secret Rare
Ultra Secret Rare
Secret Ultra Rare(wtf?)
Gold Ultra Rare

In Yu-Gi-Oh we go to Eleven.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 09:52:30 pm »
I haven't played the TCG in forever (minus the GBA/DS games), but I still have a soft spot for it and would play if the rules would actually make things more clear rather than a fat "Oh, you're not using it right, to get what this effect means play one of the video games and try it for yourself to see if the CPU lets you do it" on every new card. I'm not sure I explained that well, but anyone who's played the TCG and then one of the accurate TCG videogames knows what I'm talking about.

Only other thing bothering me about it is I live in an area where NO-ONE plays card games. And taking a train into Belfast every time I want to play a game doesn't sound fun. Maybe I should resort to online play...

Is it me or are these "rare" cards too damn easy to find these days?

It's not a problem of finding the cards so much as knowing how to deal with them when they become commonplace in almost everyone's decks ('cookie cutting')... although that's what the official banned/restricted list is for.

And by the way, your example (those sphinx cards or whatever) aren't even from booster packs, they're from a movie pack which has set contents. Plus they're terrible cards to actually use, anyway.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:54:45 pm by Pyt Fumv »

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 09:56:41 pm »
You could get an epoch and travel back to when everyone played it... read this awesome ad to find how to get one.

Epoch!!

It has a Spacious Cab!

Crono: Robo, you're taking up all 3 of the seats!!

Premium Leather seats!!

Robo: SORRY CRONO. THESE SEATS' SHARP METAL WAS CUTTING INTO MY MAINFRAME. I HAD TO TAKE ALL THE SEATS AT RISK OF BEING DESTROYED.

Rear Back Up Camera!!

Crono: Magus, look at the backup camera for me.

BEEP BEEP BEBEBEBEBEBEEEEE *CRASH*

Magus: That infernal Beeping IS the back up camera, you fool.

Crono: oh yeah...

Wifi connectivitey!!

Crono: Hold on, I'm going on to the Compendium.

Robo: Speed: 1 Mps.

Crono: ugh...

Inside: Designed for Comfort!!

Crono: Robo, your arm is in my face!! I can't see!!

Outside: Built for Pain!!

Lavos: WRRRRRRRRRRYY!!!!!

*Epoch crashes into Lavos*

Lavos: WRRRRY??

the Neo-Epoch!!!

Message and Hospital Bills paid for by Belthasar

But seriously, I've never played Yugioh. The closest I've gotten to it is the Original Manga, and the Abridged series.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:58:21 pm by HyperNerd »

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2008, 10:04:43 pm »
During the last days before vacations, several of my classmates brought their cards and played when they could.

One even had the three egyptian gods.

But to me, I don't like playing it.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2008, 10:11:17 pm »
Yu-Gi-Oh was much too reliant on chance for my taste, I played it with people several times and the one with the best cards normally won. But when the decks where changed his skill had no effect on his outcome. That why I prefer Magic: The Gathering.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2008, 10:13:22 pm »
Yu-Gi-Oh was much too reliant on chance for my taste, I played it with people several times and the one with the best cards normally won. But when the decks where changed his skill had no effect on his outcome. That why I prefer Magic: The Gathering.

I never started Magic because I was totally overwhelmed by it. xD There are so many expansions and I have this image in my head that I'd be a pain in the ass to veteran players.

KebreI

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 10:17:20 pm »
The thing is the game is very well balanced, even if you never get any of some of the expansions you van do just as good. I for the most part have only the older cards.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 10:46:23 pm »
There was once a time when I was a Yu-Gi-Oh! freak. I played with my younger foster brother. He insisted on playing like the TV show did. Ugh.

Personally, I preferred my Pokemon cards. Can anyone say Japanese, holographic, Team Rocket Edition Gyarados? My sis had one of them. It got stolen.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 10:48:10 pm »
I loved Pokemon cards so much, I have pretty much all of them up to dexoxys. I'm thinking about selling them in like a year or two.

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 11:59:23 pm »
And by the way, your example (those sphinx cards or whatever) aren't even from booster packs, they're from a movie pack which has set contents. Plus they're terrible cards to actually use, anyway.
Actually, I did get them from a booster pack because I got two Thenien The Great Sphinx (sp?). They all were ultra rare and the rest of the cards in the pack were shitty. Idk what happened to my deck. I know I've lost about $300 worth of cards. I bought them from Walmart so it's not my fault they put too many rare cards in a single booster pack.