Author Topic: Ladies And Gentlemen, We Have A Wiki  (Read 3119 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Ladies And Gentlemen, We Have A Wiki
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2008, 12:16:31 am »
Definitely not. We all know the wave of bullshit edits we'd get from trolls.

That's easy to avoid: keep an eye on RecentChanges, require that people register for Encyclopedia accounts to edit pages, and ban anyone who trashes anything.

All changes are stored anyway (you can check the revision history for every page back to the moment it was created), and we can also lock controversial pages for Encyclopedia admin/sysop editing only.

Ah, good point... Completely forgot that you could track recent changes.

So there's really not a whole lot to be afraid of. The only question is whether or not you want to see a toolbar on the side with editing, history, talk page, etc. etc. options.

When you put it that way, it doesn't sound like a bad idea. I mean, being able to keep an eye on everything that's been edited means there's no real big disadvantage that can't be taken care of quickly. That's just how I see it though.

Z mentioned the fair use image woe, that can't affect us even if the encyclopedia becomes open, right?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2008, 12:22:26 am »
It might be a good idea to open it back up, especially now that so many additions are needed for all of the new CTDS info (though, again, time to decide on layout of such...would CTDS stuff go under an entirely new heading as if it were a seperate game?)...*shrugs*

Ramsus

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2008, 12:39:08 am »
It might be a good idea to open it back up, especially now that so many additions are needed for all of the new CTDS info (though, again, time to decide on layout of such...would CTDS stuff go under an entirely new heading as if it were a seperate game?)...*shrugs*

That's probably something we should decide before opening it up, so there isn't a lot of duplicated work and people arguing over what should go where.

Z mentioned the fair use image woe, that can't affect us even if the encyclopedia becomes open, right?

It doesn't affect us because we don't care, not because of how we run the site. We don't proclaim to relicense everything that gets put on the site as Creative Commons or GNU FDL or anything either.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2008, 06:08:53 am »
Opening it up to the public does have a few risks, but I think right now with CTDS and the new attention we're getting it would be worth.

Agent 12

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2008, 03:28:03 pm »
I would have liked to have it open at first but now it's gotten to a pretty steady state where addictions can be made quite easily by the select trusted few who have editing abilities.

Though CTDS could be brought up to par much quicker if we open it up to the public.  Can we lock certain pages?

--JP

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 05:58:22 pm »
Can we lock certain pages?

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a compromise. All in favor?

*votes in favor*

Matt72

• Porrean (+50)
  • Pink Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2008, 12:18:41 am »
I think the best idea would be to only let certain people edit the wiki. I don't know how mediawiki works, but can't you pre-register people? You could have people PM you and ask for accounts.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 12:31:36 am »
Or maybe just make it admins-only.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2008, 03:35:12 am »
That's currently how it is set up, only a few people can edit it. This system works right now but it may be rewarding to fully open it up to the public is what were talking about.

Ramsus

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2008, 04:28:25 am »
I think the best idea would be to only let certain people edit the wiki. I don't know how mediawiki works, but can't you pre-register people? You could have people PM you and ask for accounts.

As KebreI mentioned, this is exactly what we do now.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2008, 12:50:52 am »
THIS is what would happen if we made it available to edit to the Public:
Everyone Knows, It's...

Ramsus

« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2008, 01:49:57 am »
THIS is what would happen if we made it available to edit to the Public:
Everyone Knows, It's...

That's just Z and his inane, random sense of humor peaking out. I don't think he'd mind seeing some more little extra pages like that or a few pages of just whacky nonsense -- as long as it's out of the way and doesn't vandalize or damage any of the real content.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 01:53:33 am by Ramsus »

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2008, 11:37:21 am »
I like the way it is handled right now.

hiddensquire

• Guardian (+100)
  • Seeker of wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2008, 02:14:34 pm »
Opening up the encyclopedia would probably create about as much work for Ramsus/ZeaLitY as it saved them; instead of the grunt writing/selective copying, they would be managing.  However, it would have the additional benefit of motivating Ramsus/ZeaLitY to pay more attention to the encyclopedia and update it more frequently, since everyone would be messing with it.  I say, if you guys WANT that kind of motivation, do it.  If you don't, don't.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2008, 04:43:35 pm »
I already said something about this place somewhere else in the forums...

I was one of the first few people to begin editing at that wiki and did a hell of a lot there. But everything always got edited by someone else into a lesser version, so there wasn't any point in me actually doing pages since people would always then procede to jump in and completely revamp my stuff. My sole exceptions for te longest time were Serge, Cyrus, and Spekkio which eventually of course got messed with(although Cyrus was messed with less than the others).

I might've stayed but the main person who (suppossed)to do the majority updates and is in charge of the whole place never shows up. That main page has stayed the same for a looooooooong time now. So I left and came here.