Author Topic: Movie Synchs?...Sincs?...I'll explain  (Read 1150 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Movie Synchs?...Sincs?...I'll explain
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:21:57 am »
Movie Synchs(sp?) are when an album plays along with a movie.  Probably the most famous of these is The Wizard of Oz and Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.  Others I have seen are Alice in Wonderland and Pink Floyd's The Wall, Snow White and The Beatles' White Album, The Matrix and Radiohead's Kid A, Back To THe Future with Alan Parson Project's Time Machine (epic), Signs with Alan Parsons Project's A Valid Path, and Total Recall with Radiohead's Amnesiac.  Don't ask me how to do any of these as I don't know the details..too many years, beers, experiments ago.  But I can always ask someone I know I spose.

Starting back then (a good few years ago...4? 5?  :shock:) I started creating my own, based off songs I had and one I would write.  Is there a way to get that audio from my playlist  and synch it with the movie playing so it's together as one file. 

Also, for those interested, I can put the playlists on here and make the songs you wouldn't have (my own, etc.).

COMPLETED MOVIES:

1. Jurassic Park:  My baby.  The first, and sole reason why I started doing this.  Incerdibly hard to line up correctly, as I didn't plan properly.  However, I still love it.  It was, is easily the most ambitious one.  I really went hard for motifs within the songs, recurring charcters and bands together.  The result was some beautiful work and some admittedly boring sections.  Artists include (but are not limited to):  Gilberto Gil, Live, Soundgarden, Sergei Profokiev, Super Furry Animals, DJ Shadow...

2. The Boondock Saints:  (Watching this movie a billion times while compiling this made me realzie how epically B-rate this movie is...)  A little more gratuitous, easily enjoyable.  There are some moments where there is a certain calmness to the fast action going on..and others where I personally underastand, but the viewer might have to watch a few times to catch on to either what I wanted, or what suits them.  Artists include (but are not limited to):  The Gap Band, Nine Inch Nails, NFL Films (you read that correctly), DJ Shadow, Sigur Ros, Handsome Boy Modeling School (with very fantasic guests)...

UNFINISHED, BUT NEARLY FINISHED PROJECT:

Batman Begins:  Begun some time ago, I wanted to finish before Dark Knight came out but hit some blocks.  Now I'm 80%finished and nearly done.  Easily the best of the three, even if it's unfinished.  has one scene that didn't come out how I wanted.  The rest....quite frankly I am very proud of.  Artists include (but are not limited to):  The Music, Megadeth, bLiNd, Audix (you read those correctly), The Soundtrack Of Our Lives, Ice Cube.

Dj Shadow, The Chemical Brothers, and a few others appear in all 3 movies, but not the same songs.

Depending on interest and info I get I'll go through the trouble of posting the playlists.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Synchs?...Sincs?...I'll explain
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 05:29:53 am »
Hey I've kinda of done this before. Alas nothing in particular is coming to mind right now. I might try that JP one if you add a bit more detail.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 05:41:59 am »
Pardon my ignorance..I don't know what JP's jam be.

As far as details...I play the move either on my comp or through my 360, and the music through Itunes, no delay between songs.  Starting the movie, Batman is after the WB logo fades and is easy to tell if it's on correctly nearly immediately, and very easily at the beginning of the second song.  Boondock is after the logo fades...I forget the name of it (just pluggin the songs into the playlist on new comp, watcin later, so I can post it tonight or tomorrow if Ican't type by then)

Jurassic Park, opn the other hand, requires the "S" in Universal to hit a certain part of Brazil before pressing play.  Harder to tell if it's on at first.

What I want to do is I guess record the movie playing with only the audio of the music...and save that as 1 file.

EDIT it's Franchise logo
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 06:29:00 am by Shee »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 07:07:28 am »
While I understand the concept of album syncs (it's either syncs or synchs according to my dictionary), it sounds more like what you're doing is just kind of making new soundtracks for them...>_> Which, I guess is still kind of interesting, but it seems like you'd have to list track names (& order, of course) for anyone to actually repeat your results...

The Boondock Saints:  (Watching this movie a billion times while compiling this made me realzie how epically B-rate this movie is...)  A little more gratuitous, easily enjoyable.  There are some moments where there is a certain calmness to the fast action going on..and others where I personally underastand, but the viewer might have to watch a few times to catch on to either what I wanted, or what suits them.  Artists include (but are not limited to):  The Gap Band, Nine Inch Nails, NFL Films (you read that correctly), DJ Shadow, Sigur Ros, Handsome Boy Modeling School (with very fantasic guests)...

What plays when Willem Dafoe's in drag? :lol:
« Last Edit: December 19, 2008, 07:10:13 am by V_Translanka »

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 06:42:08 pm »
DJ Shadow - What does Your Soul Look Like?  Part II... maybe Part III

It's not a funny song if that's what you wanted to know.  If I tired to do this with something like CamStudio, it would look crappy, huh?  Also, as of right now I have no speakers or mic, only headphones, so I don't even know if I could make sound that way.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2009, 03:31:34 am »
Well then, for anyone interested, Batman Begins was finished some time ago.  I also recently just finished The Dark Knight and am happy to be out of superhero world.  I think both turned out fantastic and rival each other for my best "work."  Though Jurassic Park is still the baby  :)

Now I am beginning my most ambitious project of this nature, There Will Be Blood.  Great movie, in my opinion.  Though I wouldn't be shocked if you were not a fan.  Daniel Day Lewis makes me want to use my own headshots and resume for butt paper he's so damn good....great actor and a masterful performance to say the least.  It will be supreme storytelling and challenging, not exactly an action packed thrillride.

Still looking into a way to export the whole jam jont kaboodle...if anyone knows a way that would make my eyes rain...in a good way.

Also going to be posting the playlists up here if anyone is interested, only catch is there are a few songs you'd have to get straight from me.  Regardless, I'm proud of this silly work.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2009, 03:37:26 am »
What a fantastic concept! Has anyone developed a methodology for retaining the actors' voices while eliminating the original music score from what research you've done Shee? That would be rockin', but I guess it would be impossible unless the music and the voices were conveniently in different sound channels or something.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 03:53:54 am »
Negative.  I've toyed with the idea of having moments of silence where you're supposed to turn the volume of the movie back up to hear something important, but ultimately decided agianst it.  The music is palced to refelct what's going on in the movie, but really it can tell it's own story.  Some scenes get a new life and take new shapes form it.  I REALLY wish I knew how to merge the muted movie with my playlists, still some massive tinkering in that regard.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 04:14:30 am »
You could certainly use Audacity to get the timing right; just a matter of being able to handle hour-plus long audio files as you keep importing songs. Actually, when saved in MP3 the file size shouldn't be too bad, maybe 300MB for an average movie. It'd still take a hella long time to save though. But once you're done, pop it into VDub with your video and you should be able to get the effect you're looking for. Well, you'd have to do that in reverse really -- open up the movie in VDub to get the timings (VDub will give you frame-by-frame time stamps) and write those times down, then use those records to build the music mix appropriately in Audacity.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 10:37:30 am »
What editor do you got? I'll check it out see if there is any way around it. If not, I'll find one.
I remember in classes getting assignments where you also had to do something like this and what we had to do was you recreate the sound effects. Did you know martial punches and chops and stuff is actually just someone going up to a mike and breaking celery?
As for if there's voices in the part, hate to say it but either a program that costs a helluva lot or you ought to know someone who's a good voice over impersonator. Otherwise you're in a pickle there. And the prices I'm talking are over $1000. I'm still saving up for a video editing program that's currently the best there is, $10000. Good way to make money I've found is taking some of your work and selling it. So I make movies with my mediocre supplies and sell them. A job helps too :lol: . But seriously what you're after is tough, and plenty(including me) are stil after. When someone has a guarenteed answer, please post.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2009, 02:56:08 pm »
Onslaught, are you looking at Final Cut Pro or Avid?

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 03:41:42 pm »
Premiere, although Avid is also up there.
Haven't heard of Final Cut.

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 06:14:44 pm »
My brains are spilling out of my ears right now.  This has been made to be more complicated than it really is.  All I do is play the movie muted, then play my playlist of songs with it.  Any editor I would need is for creating a version so that anyone can watch them without having to download all the songs, etc etc etc

I've heard of Avid and Final Cut before, woefully ignorant in their usage.

And I always thought it was a baseball bat against a frozen chicken for those sound efects 8)

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 06:31:21 pm »
A ha!  A silly hobby, perhaps...actually defenitely yes, but I still enjoy it.  I fiished There Will Be Blood about a month ago, proud of the result. Swung for the fences with it like I did with Jurassic park.  With JP there was SORT OF a battle between more electronic and more (I use this term with hesitance) tribal music.  I don't know if Gilberto Gil really is tribal, but he's got some earthy tones for sure.  Also, the raptor master got Live whenever he popped up, best as I could.

With There Will Be Blood...Daniel Plainview got a much more heroic feel, especially when he still searching for oil with H.W.  Eli wound up with the two best moments in the movie, notably his "healing" powers in the old church.   One thing I am unhappy with is I LOVE the last 15 minutes, but the jont is 2.l5 hours long!

Now I have begun the next one......GLADIATOR.

It made sense....Zeality posted his love of white with ol' Commodus in the Love thread, then my favorite sports writer started comparing Jay Cutler's constant sourpuss to Joaquin's...leading to Commodus Cutler.  Then the movie came out on Blu-Ray, which I purchased.  So it all fell into place.  This one is special, because it is all original video game music.  I wanted to do one with my own original work, but even with my really early, shitty ass loop based bullshit added to my more recent, slightly more respectable stuff I didn't have enough material, so I'm working on that in some random spare time.

So yeah...video game music.  Neddless to say a heavy dose of the Chronoverse thus far, about hour fifteen minutes or so into it.  I'll be SURE to post the playlist w/ instructions when it's finished....which leaves me with.....

posting a finished list.  We've made BABY steps with importing muted movies or something like that...but I kept on saying I'll post a playlist and never did.  So the baby - Jurassic Park ('05)?  The sophomore effort - Boondock Saints('06)?  One of the Golden Standards - The two Batman movies('06-09)?  The black sheep - There will Be Blood('09)?

FINE THEN
So here's one, I've included as much info as possible to avoid confusion.  In general, it goes
Song - Artist - Album - Time

BATMAN BEGINS
1. Smoke - Alkaline Trio - Crimson - 3:02
2. Interlude - Soulive - Next - 1:12
3. Come Forth - The Apex Theory - Topsy Turvy - 3:16
4. Family Tree - Megadeth - Youthanasia - 4:07
5. The World's Gone Mad - Handsome Boy Modeling School - White People - 5:24
6. Welcome To The North - The Music - Welcome To The North - 5:10
7. Water Song - Soundtribe Sector 9 - Offered Schematic Suggesting Peace - 3:39
8. Mind The Gap - The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Behind The Music - 4:21
9. Trilock/Senegal - Arthur Maia - Planeta Musica - 3:38***
10. Left Right - Chemical Brothers - Push The Button - 4:17
11. Leave Me Out - Silverchair - Diorama - 3:03
12. Backyard - Guster - Keep It Together - 2:56
13. Smoke - Alkaline Trio - Crimson - 3:02
14. 914 - Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2 - 4:01
15. Independent Luxury - The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Behind The Music - 3:59
16. The Tiger - DJ Shadow - The Outsider - 5:24
17. Samples from the Apex Theory - 4:31***
18. Keep The Line Movin' - The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Behind The Music - 2:48
19. Skit From Clockwork Orange - 0:27***
20. Let's Get Smashed - Trust - Trust This Alcoholic - 3:29***
21. Son Et Lumiere - Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium - 1:35
22. Supreme Hustle - Ice Cube - War And Peace, vol. 2 The Peace Disk - 4:22
23. Ruiner - Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - 4:59
24. Dream Of Zeal - bLiNd - OCremix - 3:04
25. Aqueous Transgression - Audix - OCremix - 4:25
26. Take The Long Road And Walk It - The Music - The Music - 4:53
27. Get Through It - The Music - Strength In Numbers - 2:58
28. No Hero - The Offspring - Ignition - 3:22
29. Son Et Lumiere - Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium - 1:35
30. Heresy - Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral - 3:54
31. Way Down In The Hole - Blue Mule - Enter The Mule - 4:40
32. Acid Rain - Liquid Tension Experiment - Liquid Tension Experiment 2 - 6:36
33. Welcome To The North - The Music - Welcome To The North - 5:10
34. Love You To Death - Type O Negative - The Best Of Type O Negative - 4:50
35. The Fall - Blake Leyh - The Wire: and all the pieces matter - 1:50
36. GodLovesUgly Reprise - Atmosphere - Godlovesugly - 1:47

*** - These four track are either impossible or very very difficult to find.  Notably the "samples" because I made that one :)  If you are still interested in checking this out you could either PM me or put your song in for the EXACT same time amount.

To begin (been a minute since I've watched this one so if this ends up being wrong I'll fix it)...have the playlist ready to go and the movie muted.  press play and wait for WB logo to fade, then press play on music player (I use itunes myself).  NO fade in/out between songs, NO delays.

To know you're "on"...the DC faces should appear on beat with the opening crashes of "Smoke."  "Interlude"  should begin with a Christain Bale backbody drop in the prison yard.  "Family Tree" begins at the Shadows.  "The World's Gone Mad" should begin when Bruce's father (in the flashback) points at the Wayne building from the train.  Ninjas should fall from the roof when the beat of "Welcome To The North" kicks in(1st time).  Those are some early signs.  Of course, you could always get something completely different on your own!

Enjoy if ya like!

Shee

• Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 03:20:08 am »
Whoa, please!  PLease!  Back up!  Not everyone at once!   :lol:

Finished Gladiator yesterday.  Got a little forclempt (sp?) towards the end.  Games included:  Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger, Ogre Battle 64, Final Fantasy VI, Earthbound, Ninja Gaiden I and II, Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!!