Author Topic: Spell Check  (Read 966 times)

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
Spell Check
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:53:51 pm »
Is it possible to add normal Chronoverse terms to the Spell Check Dictionary so they don't pop up every time they are written and subsequently checked for spelling?

Ramsus

Re: Spell Check
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 02:39:11 am »
I didn't even realize there was a spell check feature...

But yeah, it should be no problem. Just put together a list of words that should be added.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 03:44:06 am »
Maybe some of these words would be appropriate (if they aren't in it already?)...I knew that thread would be useful at some point...! >_>

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 09:43:47 am »
Alright, here is a list of persons and places, from the encyclopedia.  Any terms that lit up in the spell check, I added to the list, along with a lower case version.

If there are any I missed, then I suppose this would be the place to mention it...unless I am the only sucker who uses the spell check...(damn seperate/separate!)

V, I got Deus and Anomoly from that list...

[attachment deleted by admin]

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 12:24:01 pm »
Yeah, I don't (& probably a lot of other people don't) because of auto-spellchecker...If I type something wrong I know as soon as I type a space after it...>_>

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 07:55:12 am »
The spell-checker doesn't like dashes in its dictionary words, but other than that it's done.

Also, you only needed to give lower case.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 08:44:25 am »
Thanks, Ramsus.
I just copied and pasted the terms from the encyclopedia and used Excel to make the lower case versions. 
The computer I use for posting doesn't have the auto-spell check as far as I know, as we are still using IE6.

Ramsus

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:01:06 am »
Thanks, Ramsus.
I just copied and pasted the terms from the encyclopedia and used Excel to make the lower case versions. 
The computer I use for posting doesn't have the auto-spell check as far as I know, as we are still using IE6.

To me, that's not being enabled by technology, so much as simply being dependant on it.

I actually don't use any kind of spell check, and I always disable the auto-spell checking in word processors (along with any auto-correction and auto-formatting tools), since I find it all to be more of a distraction than anything.

Unless you actually put some thought into how you're spelling things, you'll never pick up when you're not spelling things correctly without something or someone else pointing it out for you all the time. In my opinion, that does more to hurt your actual spelling ability than anything else.

That's because when you have to stop and say, "wait, that doesn't look right... let me look that up real quick," and then expend some actual mental energy searching for the word, you're much more likely to remember the correct spelling and not repeat the mistake. Or worse yet, when you embarrass yourself because you totally messed up the spelling, you're even more likely to remember the correct spelling.

You're also much more likely to know what the word means as well, which is even more important than spelling it.

Of course, some people are just dyslexic, and in that case, you're just stuck being dependant on technology or a friend with good spelling ability to help you out all of the time.

But for the majority of us who aren't, we can actually come to save ourselves a lot of time through careful learning and conditioning. Most of the editing I do with my first drafts is simply deleting repetitive stuff, and after that I can focus on editing for style, because that's usually all I need to do.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2008, 08:29:29 am »
In my defence, my spelling isn't as bad as I may have let on.  I use the spell check as it is intended, a quick check of spelling.  And with the addition of the items I listed above will actually make it quick, so it doesn't cycle through "Lavos" or "Chrono" as misspelled words.  Grammar and sentence structure are probably bigger weaknesses of mine, as it has been ages since I have written anything formal...

But, on what you said Ramsus, I have to fully agree...the more dependent one is on the spell check, the worse off one will be in regards to spelling on their own.  I think by now, separate has annoyed me enough to know how to spell the damn thing.

edit: Love the new look of the site
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 08:34:19 am by placidchap »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2008, 12:32:31 pm »
I'm perfectly fine making the same mistakes over & over as the auto-spellchecker is always there. I blame the idiotic language I'm forced to use. It may be a cop-out, but it's a perfectly founded one...English is full of stupid contradictory rules and B.S. that not fully remembering every single little word is my own personal rebellion. FIGHT THE POWER!!

EDIT: Yeah, I'm pretty sure I made it fairly obvious that I was talking about English.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 12:50:16 pm by V_Translanka »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2008, 12:43:22 pm »
Idiotic language, Trans? Which one is yours, if it's English you're calling idiotic? *raises eyebrow*

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2008, 12:58:06 pm »
English is essentially the only language I speak and I still get annoyed by it: you can always hate what you speak, you're just out of alternatives. And English is a little tough, syntax-wise, and it's not all that great at describing things: take the phrase "English Teacher", do I mean a teacher who teaches English or is from England?

Anyhow, the spell check list looks pretty complete. I doubt I'll use it, but so far, so good.

placidchap

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2008, 01:01:17 pm »
My wife's language is cool like that.  You pronounce every word as it is spelled...no bullshit like English.  Of course I don't speak it...yet...

English is probably one of the best languages to describe things directly.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 01:05:19 pm by placidchap »