Author Topic: What does Lucca mean Robo might not exist in the future?  (Read 1888 times)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
What does Lucca mean Robo might not exist in the future?
« on: December 18, 2008, 03:09:05 am »
Hmm, what if Robo's not produced in the future? If so, will Robo go to a different time line via the gate, which means even if Lucca travel to the future, she won't find Robo? Same thing might happened to Marle at the beginning of the game when she went to 600 A.D.(maybe that's the only time we witness such event...)...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:12:09 am by utunnels »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: What does Lucca mean Robo might not exist in the future?
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 05:39:31 am »
I think that a lot of it is kind of up in the air once the Gates actually close...Will their TTI stay in place or will the changes in time start to effect them? I always thought that the Gates closing was why Frog's curse finally lifted, myself...

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 04:20:43 pm »
Actually I always interpreted this as an oversight caused by the developers not being 100% on board with how time travel works in the game. To make sense of the events, TB/TTI or something very much like them must exist in the story. Lucca's quote implies that she thinks that when Robo goes back to 2300 AD he will spontaneously "not exist" since they changed the future, which completely flies in the face of every single instance of time travel that occurred in the game up to that point.

I wouldn't read into it that much.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:35:13 pm »
Or she doesn't know everything about time travel that we assume to know and thinks that once Robo goes to the future he might disappear.  Doesn't have to be an oversight...same could be said with the Marle disappearing occurance...although I do believe that to be an oversight based on differences with the time travel principles...it could be reasoned that Lucca explained it to the best of her ability...but in reality something else happened, like the Entity forced her disappearance to get the wheels of salvation in motion etc

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 07:14:53 pm »
I considered that as a possibility as well, but I think it is much more likely that it was an oversight and sided with that conclusion.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 07:05:43 pm »
What bugged me is that I thought Robo would rather just stay with Lucca in 1000AD, considering they weren't even sure he could exist anymore upon entering the Gate.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 07:45:13 pm »
I all ways viewed it as a social structure thing, after all Robo was built pre-day of Lavos so he still exists. The world he knew though, the distroyed one is gone, he now needs to find his own place(which you seen in the ending with/Atropos).

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 07:33:43 pm »
What bugged me is that I thought Robo would rather just stay with Lucca in 1000AD, considering they weren't even sure he could exist anymore upon entering the Gate.

This bugged me also. Doan too (however the hell he got to 1000 AD in the first place). They were pretty much just like "Alright Robo and Doan see you guys later...unless you spontaneously disintegrate upon exiting the Gate. Good luck with that whole potential nonexistence thing!"

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 07:58:38 pm »
Should they have known that the change wouldn't effect them since Melchior was still there in 1000AD...?

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2008, 12:25:53 am »
Probably Robo's fate would be what happened to the Mechior in the new ocean palace incident.

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2008, 12:36:28 am »
The Robo we know and love will jump out of the gate in the new 2300AD and, because of TTI, nothing can change that.  So Lucca can rest easy  -_-

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2008, 01:02:39 am »
-_-
What if they leave Robo in 600A.D.,  recruit Robo in 1000A.D. and then travel back to 600A.D. and recruit another Robo, then repeat...

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2008, 05:52:45 am »
-_-
What if they leave Robo in 600A.D.,  recruit Robo in 1000A.D. and then travel back to 600A.D. and recruit another Robo, then repeat...

Yeah I've thought about this. Let me modify it a bit.

They appear in 600 AD after recruiting Robo and recruit Robo again. This is an analagous case to getting any two items in the Sealed Chests. But what happens if they then go ten minutes in the past and recruit Robo again. Well, now they would have three Robo's. But only for ten minutes! Because after ten minutes that third Robo would disappear due to Time Bastard. This isn't a problem with the second Robo, because he would stick around for 400 years before disappearing because of Time Bastard.

So basically, they could recruit as many Robo's as they wanted to, but eventually all of them would have to disappear except for the second one which would stick around for longer than all of their cumulative lifespans.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2008, 06:13:38 am »
  • Leave Robo in 600 A.D(#1)
  • Go to 1000 A.D. +10 minutes, recruit the 1000 A.D. Robo(#2)
  • Go back to 600 A.D. +20 minutes with Robo(#2), recruit Robo(#1).
  • Go to 1000 A.D. +30 minutes with Robo(#1) and Robo(#2), now you have 2 of them, but this time, there' won't be a third Robo in 1000 A.D. + 30 minutes, because you have removed the 600 A.D. one.
  • Go to 600 A.D. +40 minutes with one of them, leave Robo(#1) there(only because he's younger than #2).
  • Go to 1000 A.D., repeat...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 06:16:56 am by utunnels »

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2008, 06:03:36 pm »
  • Leave Robo in 600 A.D(#1)
  • Go to 1000 A.D. +10 minutes, recruit the 1000 A.D. Robo(#2)
  • Go back to 600 A.D. +20 minutes with Robo(#2), recruit Robo(#1).
  • Go to 1000 A.D. +30 minutes with Robo(#1) and Robo(#2), now you have 2 of them, but this time, there' won't be a third Robo in 1000 A.D. + 30 minutes, because you have removed the 600 A.D. one.
  • Go to 600 A.D. +40 minutes with one of them, leave Robo(#1) there(only because he's younger than #2).
  • Go to 1000 A.D., repeat...

You would still only get a maximum of 2 Robo's. And you are forgetting an important thing too. Robo #2 is Robo #1 from the future, so that after 400 years + 10 minutes of Robo #1 hanging out in the past (at the end of your scenario) he would just disappear due to Time Bastard anyways.