Author Topic: Updates  (Read 6840 times)

justin3009

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Updates
« on: December 12, 2008, 06:08:34 pm »
Marle and Lucca's areas are now done minus the stat changes.  Working on Twilight Grotto a bit but still having issues layering...layers.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Updates
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 06:31:28 pm »
Is Twilight Grotto where you fight Dalton? That area would use all three layers, with a semitransparent "smoke cloud" third layer not normally present in Lavos' interior IIRC. What layering problems are you encountering?

justin3009

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 07:08:19 pm »
Yea, there's 2 Twilight Grotto's.  Each with their own palette.  The problem I keep encountering is overlaying tiles.  Even when I disable every other layer besides w/e one it is, it writes to every single layer.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 07:19:58 pm »
Upload your latest .ips patch and I'll take a look at it. I'm in the midst of a background insertion guide using something innocuous as an example, and it would help to know all the problems that can come up.

justin3009

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 07:23:38 pm »
Alrighty.  Twilight Grotto is Location 1CF.  I'm still getting the outline on it, but I think you get the jist of it.

PS: Marle's event is done.

[attachment deleted by admin]

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 02:40:37 am »
See what you think of the following:

As a basic principle, tiles need to be laid in this order: Layer 2, then Layer 1. Layer 2 tiles are "floor" tiles that underlie the Layer 1 tiles; think of Layer 2 as the epidermis, and Layer 1 as the dermis.

The following example tiles were laid as "Layer 2" tiles:

Another tile, one of those nifty ones with a transparency incorporated, is added on top of it by checking "Layer 1" in addition to "Layer 2." If both are checked, I assume TF defaults to writing a Layer 1 tile:

Now let's look at location 1CF. Notice that the tiles labeled "A" appear normally and the tiles labeled "B" have a problem -- the tiles that have transparencies seem to have overwritten the tiles that should appear below.

Aha! When we isolate Layer 2, we find that the tiles labeled "A" disappear, revealing Layer 2 floor tiles that had been placed beneath. The problem with area "B" is that tiles visually appropriate for Layer 1 have been written to Layer 2.

We fix that by replacing "B" tiles with tiles visually appropriate for Layer 2 while only the "Layer 2" map option is checked.

Now let's switch the Layer 1 option on in addition to Layer 2, causing TF to write to Layer 1. Now we use tiles visually appropriate for Layer 1 in the area labeled "B," and the result is as it should be.

That's how I got the Time Devourer graphic to work anyway. Hope this demo helped.

justin3009

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 08:33:39 am »
Yes, that helped a lot.  Thank you!

justin3009

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 01:28:59 pm »
There's only 1 section left to be drawn on Twilight Grotto's outline, then the outline is done.  There's...something wrong with the height though on the left side and I can't figure out what.  It's 1 tile set to low yet it looks the same as the DS version.  I'll probably just throw a random tile up one.  I don't think it'd be noticeable.

justin3009

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 12:35:41 am »
Was looking for an image for Schala Project, and I think I found the perfect one.

I took a screenshot of Prophet's Guile magus, and used that palette and got this

- It's by ~sdmeimi at DeviantArt

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2008, 12:47:35 am »
Nice!! Is that the full pic though?

justin3009

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2008, 09:09:39 am »
- Darkened it and put more contrast onto the original picture and then put it in the other one, came out with this.  Much better, I believe.

Edit: - I think I like it better without the border.

Also, I've been thinking.  Maybe we could import anime pictures of the characters and extremely important events as well.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 07:04:08 pm by justin3009 »

justin3009

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 10:12:07 am »
- Edit: Should I retranslate them to the DS versions item/techs? 

VWF routine is in game and working now.  All items/techs are ALMOST working.  I have that old bug from before and forgot to label which byte I changed to fix it.  After that, then it's all done.  It works with 6th letter, doesn't cover ANY map data, doesn't cover 8th character changes or anything.  ^_~
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 10:19:36 am by justin3009 »

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 01:11:10 pm »
Also, I've been thinking.  Maybe we could import anime pictures of the characters and extremely important events as well.
I was thinking almost exactly the same thing. Namely that the game should have sort of a slide show with dialogue─kinda like how FFT does it.

Should I retranslate them to the DS versions item/techs? 
I'd say go for it. I, personally think they're more aesthetically pleasing.

justin3009

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2008, 09:46:05 pm »
All techs are renamed.  The thing that bothers me is the descriptions...The text will not fit unless we put a VWF routine on the normal text...Which I really REALLY want to avoid.

Edit: Should I just go with it and put a VWF routine on the font?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2008, 10:15:15 pm »
Well, I suppose if it comes down to using your time on spriting Schala -or- doing the VWF, I'd advise spriting Schala. But then again, I'm biased because I want to use your Schala sprite in AE:HU. :mrgreen: