Author Topic: Slight Amendment to the CT DS Page  (Read 1941 times)

HartleySan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Slight Amendment to the CT DS Page
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:58:19 pm »
I wasn't sure where else to post this, so here goes:

I found a slight error on the CT DS page with the following sentence:

Dreamseeker - A mystical blade said to be forged of dreams (Critical Rate: 90%) ~240 Attack~ (NEW: Complete the new ending.) ("Mugen" in the Japanese version; literally dream + fantasy, or also "infinity".)

Be aware that the kanji and meaning for 夢幻 (dreams/fantasy) and 無限 (infinity) are completely different and unrelated, even though both are read as むげん ("mugen").

There are a lot of homophones in Japanese. Anyway, Crono's new, ultimate sword, the Dreamseeker, is the former (夢幻) of the two kanji above in the Japanese version.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: Slight Amendment to the CT DS Page
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:02:51 am »
Should it then read:

Dreamseeker - A mystical blade said to be forged of dreams (Critical Rate: 90%) ~240 Attack~ (NEW: Complete the new ending.) ("Mugen" in the Japanese version; literally "dreams/fantasy.")

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 12:07:03 am »
I still think it should be Dreamweaver in English. SE's translators failed again. At least they did better this time than with SNES version.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 12:30:22 am »
Should it then read:

Dreamseeker - A mystical blade said to be forged of dreams (Critical Rate: 90%) ~240 Attack~ (NEW: Complete the new ending.) ("Mugen" in the Japanese version; literally "dreams/fantasy.")

Wait, doesn't "Mugen" mean "Infinity"? Or are there multiple meanings?

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 12:44:51 am »
Wait, doesn't "Mugen" mean "Infinity"? Or are there multiple meanings?
He means both the 2 words read 'mugen'.

Many kanji have same pronunciation. Well, there are more than 38 Chinese characters pronounce as 'si'...
Same thing in Japanese, sometimes if a word is written in kana, it is hard to translate into kanji...and vice versa, same kanji can have different pronounciations in different sentences/worlds.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2008, 01:08:32 am »
To avoid translation fistfights later, I suppose it would be best to go with this:

Dreamseeker - A mystical blade said to be forged of dreams (Critical Rate: 90%) ~240 Attack~ (NEW: Complete the new ending.) (夢幻 or "Mugen" in the Japanese version; literally "dreams/fantasy.")

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 01:11:15 am »
Yeah, that should be good.

HartleySan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2008, 01:54:14 am »
Yeah, you can say whatever you want. I just wanted to make it clear that the Japanese name has nothing to do with the word "infinity".

Also, Darkman, I think you're being a little hard on the SE translation team. Really, I think something like this is just a matter of preference. There are a million different things that they could have called it and the first rule of translation is that the most direct translation is usually NOT the best.

While I'm on the topic of translations, I briefly looked at the Excel file provided by Zeality that has the original Japanese script, Woolsey's translation and then someone else's translation. By the way, whoever typed that all up, congrats! Must have taken forever. Anyway, I don't have the time to look at the whole file, but I briefly looked at the beginning and noticed a small...I wouldn't say mistake, so much as an oversight:

In Japanese, if you use the word 不思議 ("fushigi", strange/wonderful/mystery) as an adjective, the correct grammar is 不思議な. In other words, it's a na-adjective, not a no-adjective, which is the standard. However, there is also an expression in Japanese, 不思議の国 ("fushigi no kuni", Wonderland), in which they purposefully break the rules of grammar and say 不思議の. This expression always, always means "Wonderland" and it was taken from the Japanese translation way back when of Lewis Carroll's "Alice in Wonderland". For whatever reason, the Japanese translators purposefully used 不思議の, because it sounds "wrong" and weird, and strange, like the Wonderland world of the novel.

Point being, with all that said, I think the fan translation is a bit off and they should note that. That's all.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2008, 02:18:10 am »
Well, the Japanese script was made from a script dump by JLukas.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:24:50 am by Vehek »

HartleySan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2008, 03:48:38 am »
That's cool. Anyway have a script dump for the DS version yet?

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2008, 09:35:34 am »
Has someone on GameFAQs made a Game Script for CTDS? If so, put a link to it somewhere here on the Compendium.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2008, 06:51:36 pm »
Has someone on GameFAQs made a Game Script for CTDS? If so, put a link to it somewhere here on the Compendium.

You could have just checked. And no, 99% of the time, those game scripts on GameFAQs are typed by hand, and thus miss certain lines, never feature secret lines, etc. We'll have to depend on ROM hackers here at the Compendium.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2008, 06:53:12 pm »
I can't check. The fucking filters on this damn laptop keep me off there.