Author Topic: Radical Dreamers Version Differences (spoilers)  (Read 16514 times)

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Radical Dreamers Version Differences (spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2008, 01:57:05 am »
Kid and Magil really feel like siblings to me, even more so than Janus and Schala did. I like it.

Your example has infringed my individual right to portrait..."
...Wow, that's broken English. Thinking it means something more like "You're messing with my image...", right?

And even though these retranslated bits are really insightful, I'm still amazed by the Demiforce version. The things they changed just strengthened the message for us, I think.
I prefer accuracy over enhancement, as i'm sure many others here at the Compendium do.

utunnels, thanks a lot for this. I'm greatly enjoying getting to see this different side of Radical Dreamers.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2008, 05:11:53 pm »
About the 'Scared Host' spell.
It's actual name is 魔人(majin), which means magical being or magical man, usually, they are simple monsters(or who has supernatural power) from mythologies, e.g., Ozzie in CT is a typical example(it is translated as Mystic then Fiend in DS version).

Who's Vera?
Hmm, I don't know why Demiforce removed her titles...
This is how Lynx called her:

「パレポリの魔導宰相……、レディ・ヴィラか!」

"Parepori(Porre)'s Magic Chancellor...., Lady Vira(Vera)!"

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2008, 06:57:19 pm »
About the 'Scared Host' spell.
It's actual name is 魔人(majin), which means magical being or magical man, usually, they are simple monsters(or who has supernatural power) from mythologies, e.g., Ozzie in CT is a typical example(it is translated as Mystic then Fiend in DS version).

Who's Vera?
Hmm, I don't know why Demiforce removed her titles...
This is how Lynx called her:

「パレポリの魔導宰相……、レディ・ヴィラか!」

"Parepori(Porre)'s Magic Chancellor...., Lady Vira(Vera)!"
And "Vera" is the hooded lady encountered in the gear room? The same one that shows up at the end to confront Lynx?

Very interesting....

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2008, 09:31:04 pm »
Yeah. Not sure if you've seen it, Art, but there's a theory that Vera is Marle (operating under the assumption that Crono died at some point in the Radical Dreamers timeline, since Lucca wants to place the Frozen Flame on the grave of a "friend", which, given the power of the Frozen Flame, probably means she wanted to try to revive him or something). Marle may want to do the same, and joined Porre to accomplish this. The only disparity is that she seems a haggard old woman...but yet, now we know she's renowned for magic, which has added a little fuel to this theory.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2008, 12:33:17 am »
I think that's because the high rank cure magic...but there's no really evidence that she has to be Marle.
Besides, she's the Chancellor(or prime minister). What if Dalton helped Porre to conquer Guardia? Maybe he'll be in an important position in Porre. But that doesn't explains much, since Dalton is not metioned in CC as well.
Maybe they didn't consider Dalton as a key character until the plan of the CTDS remake...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2008, 01:05:42 am »
They barely mentioned the Fall at all in CC, really...It's more about El Nido (& Schala, of course) and only mentions Zenan in passing...So I think it was easy for them to gloss over the entire thing and who (Dalton) did it...

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2008, 01:12:15 am »
Were there any rumours about Dalton before CTDS? I'm just curious

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2008, 01:27:26 am »
Yeah. Not sure if you've seen it, Art, but there's a theory that Vera is Marle (operating under the assumption that Crono died at some point in the Radical Dreamers timeline, since Lucca wants to place the Frozen Flame on the grave of a "friend", which, given the power of the Frozen Flame, probably means she wanted to try to revive him or something). Marle may want to do the same, and joined Porre to accomplish this. The only disparity is that she seems a haggard old woman...but yet, now we know she's renowned for magic, which has added a little fuel to this theory.

Another reason I don't believe Vera=Marle, is her personality.

Demiforce's translation:
The old woman gazes down on us from under her hood. "I believe you all ought to come with us."

My translation:
The old woman looks down at us.
"Kid...if you want the Frozen Flame, you can come to steal it anytime. That'll be interesting, I will await you. Of course, if you can escape from here."
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 01:40:43 am by utunnels »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2008, 01:39:53 am »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I heard some Dalton=Fall of Guardia stuff prior to CTDS, though it was so outlandish that even the people proposing such theories weren't too serious about it...

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2008, 03:37:29 am »
I've heard the theory before, which is why finally seeing a name for this character is interesting. (I've actually lurked about the articles here for years.) However, like utunnels said, I can't seem to reconcile Marle being a leader of any kind in a government involving Dalton, unless Vera is a VERY elaborate disguise.

I've always been just as interested in the Radical Dreamers timeline as much as I have the Chrono Cross timeline. It's a shame we'll probably never get more details about it than we have now.

utunnels, I hate to put in a request when I can't offer any help, but could you take a look at the part where they mention Lucca wanting to place the Flame on a friend's grave? I'd very much like to know if that was just an invention of Demiforce.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2008, 03:47:30 am »
The fact is RD was written before CC. Although it is metioned in CC that it's in another time line, but that's what they did to make their statement consistent...IMO RD is the embryo of CC, probably, one of...perhaps they even tried to make another one involved into the Fall of Guardia event than Dalton if they felt he/she was suitable...

utunnels, I hate to put in a request when I can't offer any help, but could you take a look at the part where they mention Lucca wanting to place the Flame on a friend's grave? I'd very much like to know if that was just an invention of Demiforce.
That part is an honest translation as well as Schala's narration. Yeah, I think no one would like to invention another story in such an important place.

I've heard the theory before, which is why finally seeing a name for this character is interesting.
Vera's name is metioned in Demiforce's translation as well. But not her titles.
---

*Edit* Oops, lots of typos...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:59:05 am by utunnels »

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2008, 05:09:08 am »
Those books in the study room give me a headache.
I'm glad Demiforce used some contents form real books.

Blue Book, Front
It's about a young man says farewell to a baby elephant. No idea if it was taken from an ever published book.

Red Book, Front
Sort of an adult reading. That's why Serge got slapped(HP-10). Again, I don't know if it was from a real book.
Note: If you choose this book, Serge will lost 10HP, not love points. But this event won't kill Serge, nor produce any sound effects(odd).

Purple Book, Front
About Neo-Epoch(Neo-Silverbird) just like what Demiforce translated, although, the lines below was an invention.
"What is this? It reminds me of..."
"Of what, Kid?"

Green Book, Front
About a goblin who guards a house for its master falls asleep.

Blue Book, Back
Same as Demiforce's translation. There's no sound test in orginal game though.
Note: Serge will lose 18 HP and get killed if his health is low enough.

Red Book, Back
Jakobson's thesis about Hume's theory, sounds like a reseach about space and time. (Not the Jakobson and Hume in real world, though).

Purple Book, Back
The key, of course. Although the scene is not as detailed as Demiforce's translation.

Green Book, Back
A disgusting love story. Still, its origin is unknown.

White Book, Back
A detective story on a small island in the storming sea.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 05:11:29 am by utunnels »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2008, 05:49:47 am »
The fact is RD was written before CC. Although it is metioned in CC that it's in another time line, but that's what they did to make their statement consistent...IMO RD is the embryo of CC, probably, one of...perhaps they even tried to make another one involved into the Fall of Guardia event than Dalton if they felt he/she was suitable...

It's also worth noting that RD was made for the experimental SFC add-on, the Satellaview, so I don't know how much time & effort was really put into its creation (or any of the Satellaview games, really)...I mean, RD came out, what? A year? Less? After CT, right?

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2008, 06:03:56 am »
Radical Dreamers and other Satellaview titles were planned to be released at the Akihabara electronics district of Tokyo. Square also tried to integrate it into the Japanese PlayStation port of Chrono Trigger as an Easter egg. Writer and director Masato Kato halted both releases, unhappy with the quality of his work.

According to the wiki page.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2008, 12:28:15 pm »
Radical Dreamers and other Satellaview titles were planned to be released at the Akihabara electronics district of Tokyo. Square also tried to integrate it into the Japanese PlayStation port of Chrono Trigger as an Easter egg. Writer and director Masato Kato halted both releases, unhappy with the quality of his work.

According to the wiki page.
It's on a wiki. It must be true.