Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Art Question  (Read 1925 times)

Daniel Krispin

Re: Chrono Trigger Art Question
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 03:29:12 am »
Krispin did a pencil outline of the Gurus that strikes me as inspired by the Magi. I rather like it, and it does great justice with Gaspar despite having so little to go on.

But it's not in the Fan Art Library, I notice, so I can't link to it. You'll have to ask Mr. Sunshine himself...

Mr. Sunshine... never been called that before. Heh.

It's not as good as I think you remember it to be. At any rate Gaspar looks a little... weird, somehow.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2008, 04:47:25 am »
That's the one! And it is as good as I remember--because I reviewed it before I mentioned it this evening. Art either speaks or it doesn't!

You're right, though, that there is something wrong with Gaspar: His eyes. They're unnervingly wrong. And, to nitpick, his right cheekbone is too heavy and his eyebrows need some texturing. On the whole, however, it's a lively piece and to me it feels very much in the spirit and vitality of Chrono Trigger. You ought to revisit it sometime, maybe redo it from scratch...work on your shading technique, get the Gaspar's face right, and definitely color it if you can, or maybe ink it.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 03:17:11 pm »
Your clothing designs are exquisite Krispin, and you have the satisfaction of knowing you are the only known fan to have brought Guru Gaspar to life. I think Lord J is unnerved by Gaspar's eyes because they remind one of Weegee. I mean, look:

But joking aside, this is a huge treat for Chrono fans who haven't seen it before. Thanks for sharing!

Matt72

• Porrean (+50)
  • Pink Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »
Wow, that's an awesome piece of art. Interesting concept too.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 02:21:23 am »
That's the one! And it is as good as I remember--because I reviewed it before I mentioned it this evening. Art either speaks or it doesn't!

You're right, though, that there is something wrong with Gaspar: His eyes. They're unnervingly wrong. And, to nitpick, his right cheekbone is too heavy and his eyebrows need some texturing. On the whole, however, it's a lively piece and to me it feels very much in the spirit and vitality of Chrono Trigger. You ought to revisit it sometime, maybe redo it from scratch...work on your shading technique, get the Gaspar's face right, and definitely color it if you can, or maybe ink it.

Yes! The eyes are off. Eyes always give me trouble, as do faces, often. As I recall, that picture was drawn quickly. But it was some time ago, and it's been ages since I've drawn anything Chrono. Let's see... well, two years ago. Yeah, it's been a while.

Yes, if I were to revisit it, I'd redo it from scratch. Heck, I don't even know if I could find the original in this pile of drawings in my desk. My shading has, indeed, improved - I did a pretty nifty one of the seer Teiresias drawing the exile lot on Polyneikes, a scene from Greek myth, a while back. But usually my artistic efforts these days tend to be applied to acrylics. In none of these mediums, whether pencil or acrylic, do I have any high degree of proficiency, and my figures and all tend to be lacking in some way usually, due to my untrained nature. But in the end, it's a hobby, though one I can spend long hours on.

If I were minded, and some inspiration struck, I suppose I could try and paint it. But I've got other paintings I'm working on right now, so that probably wouldn't happen. My style's usually not so animated, though. It's more... hmm... I tried to start an art thread a while back, but no one really posted. The only other who posted a picture posted a picture of a famous painting, so I don't know if it was misconstrued to be of just any artwork or what. Let's see... ah, here it is: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=5506.0 That more what my style is, and I'm not sure if I could manage Gaspar in that.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 02:24:04 am by Daniel Krispin »

4th Triforce piece

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 02:18:13 am »
Holy friggin (cuss word)   That Gasper artwork is realllll alive looking!   I feel like he is a real person in some sort of dimension thingy floating out there.     

Serious now.

I am looking for Chrono and Marle looking older.  Does anyone know of any?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 02:24:17 am by 4th Triforce piece »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 10:36:25 am »
IDK where you can find an older Crono or Marle, but you just gave me the motherload for smileys! Thanks, man! :D