Poll

Which do you like better? Make your choice.

Chrono Trigger
7 (26.9%)
Chrono Cross
7 (26.9%)
Both RULZ (sponsered by V_Translanka)
12 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross (or both?)  (Read 5851 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross (or both?)
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2008, 09:35:24 pm »
TSW was just an average sci-fi with pretty animation stamped with the FF name.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:27 pm »
So it has nothing to do with FF at all, despite the title?

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2008, 01:07:31 am »
Well, not really...I mean, no more than anything else...I mean, the FF series is fairly ambiguous as a series already...There's a few vague references between games & stuff, but mostly it's just easter eggs & carry overs like Sid & the Cids, the chocobo sticker or whatever on the briefcase and I guessyou could link the "spirits" Aki gathers as being kind of like the crystals or something...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2008, 01:25:57 am »
So it is FF, but in and of itself it's a rip-off. Correct?

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 23, 2008, 02:23:54 am »
Can you by definition rip yourself off?

It just was a poorly titled movie. FF fanboys were pissed because it wasn't "FF enough". They probably should have just given it an independent title.

FalconHit

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 23, 2008, 04:33:50 am »
Dark Serge: I'm going to call it a day and simply agree to disagree on this issue for now. Perhaps I won't hate CC as much if I give it a more recent playthrough and appreciate it for what it is rather than what my expectations were. Fair enough and to be honest, I was planning on doing that anyway because it's series canon. Although you started off arrogant, at least you were mature enough to actually debate with me on the issue rather than spout utter nonsense. I'll respect that much.

Thanks.

*Removed my sig because I feel it's kinda stupid now. I had some fun making it, but it won't do anything but either piss people off or make them a tiny tidbit happy.*

I don't like to drag up things, but I think that's a really big thing of you to do DS.
I was one of the people that thought that sig was kind of backward, like you don't like CT at all. My opinion of you is reversed as of now.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 23, 2008, 10:56:05 am »
Can you by definition rip yourself off?

It just was a poorly titled movie. FF fanboys were pissed because it wasn't "FF enough". They probably should have just given it an independent title.
I don't think it was as much of a 'rip-off', as a blatant whoring of the Final Fantasy name in order to get fans to attend the movie in theatres and buy the DVD. Btw, I'm not a Final Fantasy fanboy, it just wasn't a good product ─ pretty, but not good.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2008, 11:05:46 am »
I thought it was a good movie IMO, I just didn't see why they put the FF in the title. That was really stupid of them.

:picardno

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2008, 06:23:58 pm »
I don't think it was as much of a 'rip-off', as a blatant whoring of the Final Fantasy name in order to get fans to attend the movie in theatres and buy the DVD. Btw, I'm not a Final Fantasy fanboy, it just wasn't a good product ─ pretty, but not good.

Naw I wasn't calling you a FF fanboy. I was more referring to Shadow D. Darkman's comment about ripping off FF. Not only can you technically not rip yourself off, but they didn't take anything from FF to rip off in the first place. They just named it FF. I agree with you that it was a complete whoring of the FF name.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2008, 09:22:15 pm »
I just find the movie to not be interesting at all. It's nothing to do with it not being FF enough, which is true, had nothing to do with it being a crappy movie. I just thought it was a pretty movie with a boring cookie cutter sci-fi plot-line. If it was released by a different company without FF branding, it would have faded into obscurity with Savio Vega and Crystal Pepsi.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2008, 04:42:42 am »
it would have faded into obscurity with Savio Vega and Crystal Peps
  While the FF tag on it probably did more harm than good to the movie itself, I don't think it would've faded into obscurity without it.  First off, it was still a Square product, which that alone probably merits enough attention to be comparable to FF alone, plus the project design of using high detail cg to emulate people was an interesting undertaking at the time that would also grant it more attention.  The work on Cid alone is largely unmatched by current media today.  Even advent Children's character work doesn't touch the detail on Cid.

I'd have to say, outside of the FF tag, Aki was the weakest link in an otherwise promising movie setup.  In both her visual design and character design, she really wasn't compelling enough a character to carry the story as she was supposed to.  Heck, I'd just about say that Sora is the successful form of Aki, and he doesn't even have the fake female sex appeal going for him.  The FF tag has probably been the key to the failure Spirits Within experienced. 

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2008, 11:33:28 am »
it would have faded into obscurity with Savio Vega and Crystal Peps
  While the FF tag on it probably did more harm than good to the movie itself, I don't think it would've faded into obscurity without it.  First off, it was still a Square product, which that alone probably merits enough attention to be comparable to FF alone, plus the project design of using high detail cg to emulate people was an interesting undertaking at the time that would also grant it more attention.  The work on Cid alone is largely unmatched by current media today.  Even advent Children's character work doesn't touch the detail on Cid.

I'd have to say, outside of the FF tag, Aki was the weakest link in an otherwise promising movie setup.  In both her visual design and character design, she really wasn't compelling enough a character to carry the story as she was supposed to.  Heck, I'd just about say that Sora is the successful form of Aki, and he doesn't even have the fake female sex appeal going for him.  The FF tag has probably been the key to the failure Spirits Within experienced. 

I didn't say just Final Fantasy removed and it would have faded away. I said if it was made by a different company than Square without the Final Fantasy branding. Actually it's practically faded away into obscurity already. When is the last time you heard someone say, "Man I really want to watch that shitty final fantasy movie."

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2008, 04:04:41 pm »
Darkman: Your choice and Sig. contradict eachother. If I was here in time I would of picked both, Because I love them both even though I'm barely at Viper Manor the first time In Cross. I loved Trigger for 5 years straight and Cross for a month, but that doesn't mean I hate either of them. They, along with the FF series and the Mother series make up the Triangle of Godly RPG's (In my opinion)

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2008, 04:27:04 pm »
I like both games. In general, both are my most favorite RPGs.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2008, 05:18:04 pm »
Darkman: Your choice and Sig. contradict eachother.

Click the pic!
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 05:26:07 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »