Poll

Which do you like better? Make your choice.

Chrono Trigger
7 (26.9%)
Chrono Cross
7 (26.9%)
Both RULZ (sponsered by V_Translanka)
12 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross (or both?)  (Read 5856 times)

Daniel Krispin

Re: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross (or both?)
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2008, 04:30:25 am »
By the way, nice avatar movie.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2008, 05:46:30 am »
I voted Chrono Cross, just because I 'like'  the story better.
Maybe that 's so called 'first impressions are most lasting', I don't mean Trigger is worse than Cross.
I played Radical Dreamers first, before I even knew the story of Chrono Cross or Chrono Trigger(don't say I'm from Mars...)
Then I felt it was interesting, so I made a Chinese translation patch. That's when I wanted to read the story of this series, but I didn't until the translation was almost done because I didn't want to be influenced.
Then I began to read the story of Chrono Cross, and articles of this site...

BTW, I didn't know there're dual or triple techs in Chrono Corss before I read a walkthrough. It has more than 40 playable characters, maybe it's hard to pick 2 characters who happen to have dual techs by chance...
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:50:08 am by utunnels »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2008, 07:30:32 am »
Dark Serge: I'm going to call it a day and simply agree to disagree on this issue for now. Perhaps I won't hate CC as much if I give it a more recent playthrough and appreciate it for what it is rather than what my expectations were. Fair enough and to be honest, I was planning on doing that anyway because it's series canon. Although you started off arrogant, at least you were mature enough to actually debate with me on the issue rather than spout utter nonsense. I'll respect that much.

Thanks.

*Removed my sig because I feel it's kinda stupid now. I had some fun making it, but it won't do anything but either piss people off or make them a tiny tidbit happy.*

Dunsparce

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 10:06:08 am »
Once again, Radical Dreamers is Ignored :<

It doesn't matter if it's no longer part of the main continuity, it's still a Chrono game through and through.

I would vote for all 3 games if it was an option.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 12:11:16 pm »
Yeah, I might have picked Radical Dreamers over Trigger if it was in the running, unless there was a "CT and RD are best, Cross second" option.

What would be very awesome is RD done with the CC engine, but Serge needs to speak!

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2008, 12:16:05 pm »
That gives me an idea. Why don't we put CC elements in RD? To explain, I'm proposing we take RD, change the people's appearances to match their CC counterparts, keep Serge's ability to speak (:lol:),  and then add anything from CC that wasn't originally in RD into RD itself, like the Other World concept, Lynx being more than a creep trying to get the Frozen Flame, FATE, Chronopolis, even the Time Devourer.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2008, 12:36:12 pm »
So basically just give Serge a line every now and again and play Cross

NO THANKS~

Although I suppose it would be interesting if Kid's Schala status was altered slightly and after the events of RD, Serge finds her again and they beat the Time Devourer together, but that's terrible pacing for a game and part of the beauty of RD was that it had so simple a story.

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2008, 12:53:05 pm »
I'm unfamiliar with Radical Dreamers. I heard that it was the original sequel to Chrono Trigger that eventually became Chrono Cross (or something along those lines) but that's about it. It sounds as if some of you somehow managed to play it or at least read the script.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2008, 01:07:15 pm »
Basically they cut Radical Dreamers in half and put it into CC as the Viper Manor infiltration thing.

It's a visual novel type text game. You play as Serge, only instead of being a fishy mute he's an ex-musician thief narrator working with Kid and Magil(Magus). The game is mostly sneaking around a very spooky Viper Manor, learning about Lynx through the rooms and characters, getting affection points from Kid, and looking for the Frozen Flame (which looks more like Dreamstone than what it was in Cross). I think one of the reasons I disliked Cross was that I got used to RD's versions of certain characters and saw them chopped in half or changed to completely different things.

It's really great and definately worth a play-through or five. Once you beat it, save a state and load it up to play the other storylines.

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2008, 02:08:22 pm »
Uh.

Magil: Caught Between Love and Adventure

This scenario can be accessed by falling asleep, following Kid, examining the desk in the study, and then entering Riddel's room.

Magil in reality is a man named Gilbert, who has pined for Riddel all his life. He and Riddel exchange their affections, but Riddel recoils when Gilbert asks about their marriage vows made some time ago in the garden of the Manor. As she softens up to him once more, her servant Noelle comes in, and reveals that Riddel was assigned a suitor. Gilbert is wounded by this, and struggles to convince Riddel to go with him. The maid is alarmed by Kid's insistence on finding the Frozen Flame, and alerts the guards; Riddel notes that someday, Gilbert may return and be friends. Gilbert will have none of this, and throws Riddel over his shoulder as he defeats the guards. As the Radical Dreamers and Riddel reach the courtyard, the occupants of the Manor emerge and bid them farewell; Lynx, the foster father of the bride, tears up. Gilbert points to the morning sun, and notes that it is "our Frozen Flame."

What the shit?

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2008, 02:15:37 pm »
Basically they cut Radical Dreamers in half and put it into CC as the Viper Manor infiltration thing.

It's a visual novel type text game. You play as Serge, only instead of being a fishy mute he's an ex-musician thief narrator working with Kid and Magil(Magus). The game is mostly sneaking around a very spooky Viper Manor, learning about Lynx through the rooms and characters, getting affection points from Kid, and looking for the Frozen Flame (which looks more like Dreamstone than what it was in Cross). I think one of the reasons I disliked Cross was that I got used to RD's versions of certain characters and saw them chopped in half or changed to completely different things.

Well, according to the synopsis the Frozen Flame originated from the Mammon Machine in Radical Dreamers. In Chrono Cross, it was a fragment of Lavos, so it doesn't surprise me that it looked differently. Lavos itself means "big fire" in Ayla's language.

I still believe that should there be another Chrono Cross that Janus/Magus/Magil/Guile/Gilbert/WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL HIM should be a mandatory character in the new version, especially for the Viper Manor and Fort Dragonia scenarios.

Edit: Whoops, that wasn't supposed to be a double post. I thought I was editing the first one. Oh well.

maggiekarp

• Time Traveler (+800)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2008, 02:29:45 pm »
The Gilbert one is hilarious in how over-the-top romantic and gushy it is. Magil's only completely Magus in the first scenario.

And I'd second the Magil as a mandatory character in Cross, but I really dislike the Guile CTDS thing. I'd like a remake of CC where Guile is MAGIL, in his RD form.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2008, 02:34:51 pm »
Thirded. Let him keep the name "Guile" though. IMO "Magil" is kinda obvious to anyone who knows his CT name.

Also, can anyone get a drawing of Magil from RD? None of the screenshots from RD here on the Compendium give me a clear shot.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 02:36:27 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2008, 02:36:06 pm »
Unfortunately, I think the fact that Magus lost his memory confirms that he's going to be Guile. Magil definitely remembered who he was and everything that happened, but Guile was just clueless. Were there any other differences between Guile and Magil?