Poll

Which do you like better? Make your choice.

Chrono Trigger
7 (26.9%)
Chrono Cross
7 (26.9%)
Both RULZ (sponsered by V_Translanka)
12 (46.2%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross (or both?)  (Read 5931 times)

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross (or both?)
« on: December 03, 2008, 11:58:24 pm »
I'm making this topic to finally spare the CTDS forum and its threads a ton of grief, and frankly to cover my own ass, as well.

My vote belongs to Chrono Trigger, and I will explain why in a later post and even fill any spectators in on some history.

I fixed your Thread for ya so it didn't just turn into a hate-filled thread. I assumed at least though that people coming here & participating in the polls likes at least one of them...
                                                                                              ~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:05:07 am by V_Translanka »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger or Chrono Cross (or both?)
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:38:19 am »
Chrono Trigger - 0

Hmm thats going well

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 12:34:34 pm »
Well, a 'both' option in a 'better' vote is not a good idea anyway. :lol:

ha, maybe those who vote for 'both' like trigger better but don't want to abandon cross, so...

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 01:41:41 pm »
Trigger.

It plays out like a well-crafted story with each element of the game working together.  Gameplay quirks and gags exist and work in its structure because of how well it defines its mood and voice with its narrative perspective.  its greater emphasis on story based elements instead of technological specs are part of the reason why it still stands high as a product today, and not just a product of its time.

Cross, on the other hand, tries to use some of those same tools as Crono (despite it pushing to be a 'not Trigger') and those are some of the qualities that hold it down the most.  Serge's character as a silent protagonist doesn't work as well because their isn't a compensating voice within the party structure and plot associations to balance his hole out.  Instead narratives and information are largely presented from outside sources, or just generic samples because other characters don't have the ties in it to really give their 2¢ in driving the plot.  Furthermore, there isn't any expressive element for Serge to work within this story anyway.  The feel then becomes that the group/player are more 'acted upon' rather than being the driving action, particularly since the 'upon' sources come from more than one direction.  Just because the medium source is visual doesn't mean its beyond "Showing vs Telling" in story craft.  I'd say this same feel is part of why the Xenosaga project died out prematurely.

One is a quality veneer, using a variety of woods to create a strong under-structure that's a marvel itself, but also has a good layering on top to create a quality piece that compliments its placement in a room in form and function (and lasts) verses getting photo finish furniture with a cheap pale-wood interior. 

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 02:08:30 pm »
Cross wasn't exactly an unplayable game, but all of its faults took away from the first playthrough enjoyment while Trigger's only become apparent when you've thought about it too much. It's the one that needed a remake desperately, not Trigger.

CT's a much more satisfying gaming experience.

Also no offense Dark Serge but I want to punch you so much for your garish and retarded signature image. Sales and ratings don't mean shit, anyone familiar with the Twilight series knows that.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 02:47:59 pm »
I'm already done arguing about it. It's really opinion based after all. But Chrono Cross is the game that stole my heart. Not Trigger. Chrono Cross's plot wasn't clear at the very start but that's what made it deep. I didn't know what the heck was going on but I wanted to find out desperately. After the moment where you learn that Serge's already dead in Another World I was more and more driven to continue in the story. Paired with the amazing level design, amazing character design, and heart warming music, this was immediately my favorite game ever. As cool as Trigger was, it couldn't tip Cross.

As for Cross being a dodgy sequel, not really. Maybe you feel it that way but I at least could tell from early on in the game that this was the sequel to Chrono Trigger.

Celestial Insanity

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:22:29 pm »
Despite having played and becoming a huge fan of Trigger first (believe it or not), I personally prefer Cross by a moderately greater margin due to my opinion being quite the opposite from the "CT's a much more satisfying gaming experience" perception stated in a previous post. Not that CT isn't satisfying, it's pretty much a masterpiece; Just that the enjoyment and overall immersion I derived from CC was to a much larger extent.

Personally, and I'm going to be downright honest when I say this, I thought Cross's battle system was more fun and enjoyable than Trigger's. Yes, it had some rather unnecessary implementations, but it subsequently had a level of customization and innovation that really managed to intrigue me and was completely devoid of some of the problems I had with CT's battle system. The art direction, I felt, was an extreme improvement over CT's, and I really developed a strong liking for its music as well. The plot kept me interested and really managed to ensnare and consume me several times throughout the game, but on some occasions it had bad pacing. However, it did have a significantly larger impact on me than Trigger's, despite whatever arguments we're going to throw around pertaining to which of these is "more deep".

I can't speak for anyone else, and Cross did have its flaws, but I basically prefer it simply because I found it more satisfying than Trigger, contrary to what was stated earlier.

Sales and ratings don't mean shit, anyone familiar with the Twilight series knows that.

Except the Twilight series didn't exactly receive good critical ratings from my knowledge. :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 03:41:38 pm by Celestial Insanity »

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 04:44:41 pm »
Wow, that was harsh. Even I don't hate Chrono Cross enough to compare it to that godawful load of dragonshit that is Twilight. Nothing in the Chrono series deserves that. Now please, let us never speak of this again.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 05:00:36 pm »
Ah jeez, I didn't mean to be taken like that. Cross is in no way similar to Twilight, and despite all my complaints towards it I actually recommend Cross all the time.

I meant more that popularity and ratings shouldn't be someone's final say for something, they don't always reflect the quality.

More than that though I just dislike that sig. Sorry :(

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 05:22:46 pm »
As I've stated previously:

Dark Serge's sig is completely champion. Keep it, DS.

I believe that objectively Trigger is a better made game than Cross. But it doesn't matter, because they are both two of the greatest RPG's of all time. Most other RPG's don't even compare.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 05:37:51 pm »
I voted for Cross I prefer to trigger by far, that being said I still don't like your signature DS.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 05:47:16 pm »
Please, could we keep this out of this. This is not an argument whether you like my signature or not. I don't like yours either.

IStoleTheStars

• Iokan (+1)
  • Love's deeper & darker than the black seas of hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 06:51:16 pm »
Both are amazing games, but I picked Trigger for these reasons:

- Nostalgic value
- Story was cool, and didn't have me banging me head on the sidewalk trying to figure it out like parts of Cross did
- Dream Team worked on it
- Gato
- Finally, Trigger (even with its paradoxes) just had a more cohesive feel to it.

This being said, I don't hate Cross by any means. It's just second place to Trigger to me...... But a very close second

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 07:07:07 pm »
This is a long overdue response to Dark Serge's post from the CTDS thread, which will be made here.

Nice attempt at trashing CC but now let me tell you why I am right and you are wrong (also see my sig)

The problem here is you saying "Many crappy characters" and "Kato cancelled my Magus 'cause of them", alright let's divide that into points shall we.

First of all, if you're going to quote me, quote something that I've actually said. I never called any of the characters in Chrono Cross "crappy", but merely unnecessary. We didn't need them, and I felt that the effort that went into designing 30 characters could have instead been used to improve the other 10 and make them into even more memorable characters.

1. Too many underdeveloped characters that don't work together and have no relationship.

WRONG. Most of the characters had a backstory developed whereas some characters in Trigger didn't. Let's take Ayla shall we? Aight. What do we know of her? Hmmmm. We know nothing of her past. We know she likes Kino and we know she wants to fight Reptites. We also know she has a strong will of surviving and that she probably had a link with Guardia (even though this is never confirmed). Well that's it for her. What a great development. Yes, Cross has those too, ofcourse. Take Draggy for example, probably one of the most underdeveloped characters that was put in for fun. I don't know which other characters you think are underdeveloped; I know there are some of them. The problem is that you seem to think that Trigger didn't have these, which is wrong, the only difference is that in Trigger they weren't playable

I don't deny that there are characters who don't exactly have a Shakespearean background in Chrono Trigger. Although Ayla is definitely the weakest of the bunch in that regard, I will give you that -- she is still a vital part of the game. First of all, she is the one that they need in order to acquire Dreamstone to repair the Masamune. Second, when the Gate Key went missing, they would have been left stranded forever if Ayla didn't help them. It is also strongly implied that she is a distant ancestor of Zeal/Guardia, as you noted. And despite her fighting with the Reptites and being a far more primitive race, she displays compassion when she tries to get Azala to escape with them. She is among the physically strongest of your party, and shares plenty of double and triple techs with the rest of the cast. This is already more than anyone can say for over half the playable roster of Chrono Cross.

Let's get down to a more vital character: Serge. Although a mute as well, Serge's past is something that absorbs you into the game the moment you see him holding a bloody knife in the dream sequence. He didn't develop as a character at all, but of course neither did Crono, so Serge has the advantage regardless. Switching bodies with Lynx also added an interesting twist to the story because enemies became friends, and friends became enemies. However, although Crono was a speechless character with no past, his supporting cast had enough charisma and unique traits so that you could pretty much determine what kind of character he was through them. When Crono was set to be executed, Lucca went in to save his life, and Marle pretty much told her father and the whole Guardian empire to go fuck themselves. When Crono dies, everyone except for Magus is deeply effected by this, and they go to great lengths just for the hope of bringing him back to life, which they all knew was absurd but gave it a shot anyway. And when it worked, they were overjoyed, and you had a powerhouse back on your team. From what I remember, the only person who really seemed to give a rat's ass about Serge was Kid.

As for not working together, some of them have double and triple techs. Not a lot, but they're there.

I am aware of this, as I've never stated that they didn't exist in Chrono Cross. However, they were disappointingly rare. I could definitely overlook their lack of plot development if they at least shared double/triple techs with at least the mandatory characters of the game, but we didn't even get that. Take a moment to look back on all those characters and think of what you could or would have added if you were in the developers' shoes, and then tell me that you were satisfied with what they gave us. If you are, that's fine -- I'm not trying to convince you to NOT like Cross, but merely respect my reasoning.

Not to mention you can equip any element on any character you wish (almost) to variate their actions.

I felt that this made the characters even less unique, actually. It didn't really matter who I chose to be in my party because as long as I allocated the right elements to the right character, I was pretty much guaranteed to win.

And to be honest, the amount of characters shows the fucking HUGE world you're playing in. Even though you can timetravel in Chrono Trigger I always feel like I'm in a small world with the small amount of characters and small world map. You're right, there's some characters in Cross I never used to this day. All the reason more to go and play it again.

But that's exactly what I'm saying, even though everything is bigger in Chrono Cross, that doesn't automatically make it better. Chrono Trigger does more with less, and Chrono Cross does the complete opposite. Even though you go back and use those other characters, you're not going to get a much different experience because of the fact that you can just equip any element to them. Superficially you'll be using brand new characters, but you'll find that your strategies are going to basically remain the same.

2. Kato cancelled Magus 'cause of em.

A load of bullshit. I don't see how Magus wouldn't have fit in right there in the role of Magil next to Serge and Kid. The other characters could be developed, so why not Magus? A big f*cking load of bullshit and a crappy excuse why Magus isn't in the game.

Is that so? I guess you can take that up with Kato himself, tough guy.

Masato Kato: To let the cat out of the bag, in the early stages of development, Guile was indeed meant to be Magus. In our original plan, the true identity of Guile was supposed to be Magus after the events in Trigger. (At the end of Trigger, Magus [a.k.a. Janus in Trigger and Magil in Radical Dreamers] disappeared into a Time Gate to go searching for his big sister, Schala, who was lost somewhere in time.) However, as the game's development progressed and we decided to use such a huge number of playable characters, we decided not to make him be Magus. We thought it was impossible to portray the relationship between Magus and Schala adequately in this game. So we changed tracks, made the colors of the Magus character design paler, and turned him into Guile, the magician. In a way, it's a pity, as I really would like to have seen the valiant figure of Magus come to life again.

You can either sit there and try to tell me with a straight face that you know more about what's going on with the story of the Chrono series than the main writer himself, or you can admit you were wrong and this argument ends here.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 07:13:36 pm by The Black Wind »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 07:25:28 pm »
I voted both b/c they're both really good games. If I had to pick only one of them, though, I'd pick Trigger.

The sway was too close for me to just say "Trigger FTW" and be done here.

I loved Cross despite the hardships I went through, but I love Trigger better b/c of the neat shit you can do that you didn't do in Cross.

EDIT: @Black Wind

Long post is long. Fails due to boredom and lack of excitement.