Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: Special Edition (Retranslation input needed)  (Read 5985 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Chrono Trigger: Special Edition (Retranslation input needed)
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 04:03:03 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Locke is Lock...I mean, Rock (Mega Man) isn't Lock, right?

I do wonder about Frog now...Kaeru has multiple meanings, doesn't it? They'd either have to choose a suitible word from one of the meanings, or simply use Kaeru. I choose the latter, myself...

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2005, 10:41:52 am »
Quote from: V_Translanka

I do wonder about Frog now...Kaeru has multiple meanings, doesn't it? They'd either have to choose a suitible word from one of the meanings, or simply use Kaeru. I choose the latter, myself...

wonder how they got mega man outta rock man?

and as for kaeru, that's what we used to call him in english. (me and my bro)

Elrich2k3

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 04:24:11 pm »
I'm pretty much with marr0w on this one...

I think that the romanji names are fine. Jaki makes sense...I don't see how Janus is better, it's not his real name. I think that a retranslation should show us what was really intended by the creators because, unfortunately, Ted had a lot of restraints in those days (besides censorship, there was also time).

An added document on any such name puns among other retranslational things should be made regardless though, much like they made for RPGOne's FFVI retranslation.

I think lines can be changed to make more sense, but not to change what's essentially being said, or the basic feeling of what's being said.

I feel the same about pop-culture references as I do about the names...But, I wonder, how big of an impact is pop-culture in Chrono Trigger? I don't think this one needs as much attention...But I believe that things like that should be left, and explained, in an added document (again, regardless).

It should be as true (not necessarilly as accurate) to what Kato & the rest of the gang actually wrote as possible.

Well I'm a little late, but I agree with V. Though a simple additional patch that switches the names to the English versions would be fairly simple to create, afterwards. There is no reason that the base translation should use them.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 04:26:54 am »
Quote from: Shinrin

wonder how they got mega man outta rock man?

and as for kaeru, that's what we used to call him in english. (me and my bro)

It's Pure Engrish ^^

Daggart Away

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2005, 11:54:22 am »
I think it would work best to,

1. Keep the character name's that we're used to.

2. Change whatever weapons and items names might have been altered for censorship (Remenber FF4's 'Black' sword?).

3. If the guy who goes on about how he loves his root bear, and the lady who scolds him for having had enough sugar for one day really are just blatant censorships, leave them anyway. They don't affect the story, we know what they're really saying, and its simply funnier this way (like spoony bard).

4.In the case of Diologue, if a retranslation doesn't put a different spin on things, make it clearer, add more plot that was left out or simply leave a better dramatic impression, leave it alone. The characters each have their own voice, and the more tampered with the diologue is, the easier it is to change that voice entirely. This is only for your party/ other major characters though. The NPCs roaming cities and such could have their diologue changed however.

Just my 2 cents

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2005, 05:34:33 pm »
Heh, I still wonder how they got Rockman in the first place.  His original name was Rock -- calling him Rockman is like a guy named Joe getting superpowers somehow and then making his superhero name Joe Man.  It's fucking retarded.

Mega Man, on the other hand, suggests great power (and the great responsibility that accompanies it).  It is indicative of some of Rock's characteristics.

Therefore, Mega Man > Rockman.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2005, 07:17:22 pm »
It had nothing to do with the word Rock solo. It was a dual name, much like with Bass & Treble (did I spell that right?)...He was Rock, his sister was Roll. Get it?

ROCK & ROLL BIATCHES!

Then there was Rush the dog and Beat the bird! wh00t! And some other crap too, I'm sure...

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2005, 07:22:05 pm »
Yeah, I knew about the Rock and Roll bit.  Dr. Light loved his musical names -- Protoman was Blues, and then you have Bass and Treble, and of course Beat.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2005, 07:29:54 pm »
Plus, the way I see it, Rock is just a bitchin name...SNK anyone?