Author Topic: Chrono Clutch (frog to glenn) updated w art and script  (Read 2217 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Chrono Clutch (frog to glenn) updated w art and script
« on: December 03, 2008, 04:16:37 pm »
So after thinking and thinking and thinking etc, I've figured out what I need to do. Create a game where Frog becomes Glenn. Inspiration struck after I played Prophet's Guile, and my idea was to create a super short fast game where you can achieve Frog's ultimate goal.

I made one in RPG Maker 2003, with the infamous Glenn sprites (I have no idea who actually made those but they're well circulated in the Compendium) and some metal versions of CT music. The coding, setup, and playable game all went by way too fast. So I started thinking again.

edit:
So I'm doing some sprite work, I've been collecting lots of music, and will probably write some to put in as well, and there's a story. This game is about closure. Sorta. It's called Chrono Clutch and the namesake is a device giving one power over time and space travel, like an ipod epoch edition.
Dalton has it.
You awaken from a nightmare as Frog, with Masa and Mune fused together trying to protect you in your sleep. Your cozy forest fortress is under attack from Dalton himself. He announces his intentions to take the fabled blade, and has already snuck up and impaled Masa and Mune. They don't die, they begin a sleep, from which they rise, tainted. They are absorbed into the blade, which reacts to Frog's Hero Medal and opens a large green gate. Dalton disappears, as do you. The fate of the Masamune is already written.
You awaken again to an earthbound villager similar to 12000B.C. The chief has requested to see you. You can exlplore at this point, and it seems to be a more advanced Dark Age, or like a fusion of the Earthbound and the Enlightened cultures. The Entity speaks to you when you get to the recovery spring. This is the dimension where Lavos never was. Your world had been destroyed. This other world must be saved.
You refuse. If Leene is dead, there is nothing to live for. The Entity gives you the Einlanzer, from the fountain in the spring. She tells you to leave it in sun keep, as it was struck from Sunstone, as the Masamune was Dreamstone, it need only be charged to liken its power to the Demon-Sword.
 You take it hesitantly, and enter town. Janus Zeal is the chief of the village, and he can fly. You may add him to your team leading you on a quest to save the dimensionally imprisoned Chrono and Marle from the Exoverse, or not. You may choose instead to find the missing Gaspar and the Doors of Dimensions but either way, there will be more surprises, a few original characters, some old flavor.
And Frog will become Glenn again. Then you can begin again. Seriously, though that won't be the end. Promise.

I'll post my character designs soon as I got em all scanned or photographed. Maybe a few sprites too.

Let me know what you think of the idea and if you have any suggestions I'm all ears. Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 03:42:03 am by addiesin »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
Re: Frog to Glenn fan project NEED HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 04:37:59 pm »
Frog can shove Glenn off the ledge, take the hit meant for his past, and distract Magus and Ozzie while Glenn escapes, and then returns to the future. Due to his involvement, he reverts to human form while traveling back. He arrives in human form back at the camp.

The rest is up to someone else. I just supplied a possibility.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 04:42:16 pm »
addiesin, have you given Temporal Flux a spin yet? The result of modifying an actual CT ROM to fit your needs would be far more authentic than using RPGMaker methinks, and Temporal Flux needs a larger userbase.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 04:58:23 pm »
I've tinkered with TF only ever so slightly. Changed a map, but it looked like a lot more than I could handle by myself. I'll look into it, but for now the battle and walking/running animations work beautifully in RPG Maker 2003. Most importantly, I'm really familiar with that program already and I'm trying to get this done rather quickly (ie. not four years from now). I had an idea to take a screenshot of each battle location and set that up as the battle background for that specific spot so you don't go anywhere during the battles, but that'd be a lot of extra work too.

But yeah, point me in the right direction for TF tutorials or help or anything to show me basic event editing and mapping and I'll try to get comfortable with it. I'd love for Chrono Clutch to be reasonably well done, and the material that's been coming from TF patches has been astounding so far.

Edit: Found some! Let's make some magic!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:03:01 pm by addiesin »

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 05:02:08 pm »
Man, I really want to help you, anything you need just ask...
And if this project is never finished, I don't really care, I just want to play my part in it...
;)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:40:46 pm »
You can definitely help! First, never say never!

Second, just toss some ideas out or discuss anything up there thats interesting.

What if one of the worlds they visit is the RD timeline?

What if Crono's dad shows up?

What if you can play as Toma?

etc. what i typed is what i got for plot, so any kind of cohesion or plot points to add would be greatly appreciated! i'm actually a little hazy on some of the in game details of cross, so also if there are any tidbits or references we can make in there that i'm not covering would be good too.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:43:09 pm by addiesin »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 05:50:25 pm »
I've seen fanfics surrounding Crono's dad on IcyBrian. *shudders* I still remember the one by "The Storyteller"

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 02:32:29 am »
First off, the Crono's dad thing was kindof a joke. Unless some really good way of bringing him in comes up, which is doubtful. ( it's dalton!! :shock: seriously, it's not.)

Secondly, the Frog to Glenn situation. What if Frog (futureGlenn) arrives just in time to jump in front of the spell to prevent pastGlenn from becoming futureGlenn? So he dies, or he thinks he's dying, and wakes up as Glenn?
I keep thinking it's such a big thing, you should have to do more to get Frog to change. Perhaps it's the first world you need to fuse, Frog doesn't change til you do it. I think he's going to need the Chrono Clutch to do it. Basically the Clutch is a watch stuck to the palm of the wearer that gives one "complete control of one's destiny". Like an Epoch iPod. Carry-on time/space/dimensional travel. So he goes to 1005AD to look for the Chrono Clutch and Dalton is in the castle. Dalton warps them out into the as of yet unnamed dead dimension, where the protagonists find their friends Crono and Marle trapped. Frog and Magus vs. Dalton and his Golem clones of Frog and Magus (like the Temporal Distortion Crono, Lucca, and Marle clones in the DS) leads to Dalton escaping, but not before trading swords with Frog (maybe the Chrono Clutch wearer gets Haste automatically). Dalton prefers charged Masamune made of Dreamstone to his own sword, the Einlanzer, made of Sunstone by Melchoir, and at this point almost a perfect visual copy of the Masamune. Then we find Magus has a few tricks of his own and has taken the Chrono Clutch from Dalton just before he leapt through a gate whilst in the deadzone area fighting. Frog and Magus get Crono and Marle out then leap into two gates. Chrono and Marle find Guardia destroyed, and stay to rebuild.
How's it sounding Darkman and Darius? Is this making sense and coming off as something you'd want to play?

Third, in case of cease and desist letters, I've been doing some drawings in a non Toriyama style and it still works. Chrono gets dreadlocks, Magus gets his prophet cloak and Frog looks badass with sharp teeth and no whisker things. Like a Teenage Mutant Chivalry Toad or something. So if needed I can change the names to Toad and Mage and Kro and Meryl if I need to, change the sprites up, and call it Time Clutch in the event that something happens

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 12:10:19 pm »
I doubt it. As long as it's clearly stated that it's a FAN-MADE project (This was the mistake IMO that got Resurrection and others shut down), there shouldn't be any cease-and-desist letters. And in the case that they do it, sue them for defamation of fanaticism, or w/e the hell it is when they shut down any fan projects related to their stuff (ten bucks they demand that the Compendium shuts down, I'd be a witness for the defense).

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 12:34:40 pm »
yeah, i'm more worried about the game being fun than being shut down.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 01:12:54 pm »
Always best to have a plan.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 02:28:55 pm »
A game like this won't be shut down, it's really unlikely.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 06:50:07 pm »
True, but you'd be surprised. The RD-themed CT fan-rewrite got shut down.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 09:50:34 pm »
True, but you'd be surprised. The RD-themed CT fan-rewrite got shut down.

Which game would that be?  I'm not disagreeing with you, but as far as I know (and I don't know everything, obviously), the only Chrono that got shut down by SquareEnix would be Chrono Trigger Resurrection.  And that other 3D remake of Chrono Trigger (which wasn't as far along).

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 10:15:22 pm »
Which game would that be?
Radical Dreamers Style Chrono Trigger? That got a "Cease-and-desist" from Zeality for its creator not doing anything at all in the forum after it was created. (I think the "C &D" is actually a copy of the letter the CTRP got).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 10:17:55 pm by Vehek »