24 (36.4%)
It has temporal plot holes.
17 (25.8%)
It's too easy.
9 (13.6%)
Other (please post what)
16 (24.2%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Author Topic: 6/30/06 - What is Chrono Trigger's real flaw?  (Read 11703 times)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: 6/30/06 - What is Chrono Trigger's real flaw?
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2006, 09:30:51 am »
"Chrono Trigger" and "Flaws" don't mix.  CT is as close as you can get to a game without flaws.  It was a bit short, but I think they could have rectified that with more sidequests than story extensions (for example visits to the North Palace and Sun Keep in 12000 BC). -CSM

It really is as close as a game gets to 'flawless', isn't it? I mean, it's unbelievable how well they created this game. The 'Dream Team' surely isn't an exaggeration...

ctnovelist

• Fan Project Leader
  • Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2006, 11:44:32 pm »
I'm going for temporal plot holes as the biggest flaw.  Of course, when you think about CT vs. more current titles, it does seem a bit short, but that isn't the biggest flaw in my opinion.  Also, while CC may "technically" not have had any identifiable plot holes, CT definitely left me with a MUCH bigger sense of closure, and that means a lot to me.  I loved CC all the way up to the ending, but, after that one short part of the game--the part you expect to get answers and closure from--I probably liked it half as much as I did through the entire adventure.  That hurt it a LOT for me.

Anyway, enough ramblings...

Antiganon

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • MySpace
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2006, 03:34:36 pm »
Of the 4 choices given, i would have to say plot holes, there were too many, and "The Entity did it" is a really bad explanation

aside from that, i really wish it hadn't been left to the PSX version and CC to figure out what happened to the main characters. You don't know about Crono, Marle, and Lucca being dead until you see the ending cutscene for the PSX version and then play through the beginning of CC to find out that Lynx killed Lucca. Frog's story is wrapped up, but other than that, Schala, Magus, Robo, and Ayla are pretty much all ignored when loose ends are tied up. Schala's story is finished only in CC, and Magus (most important character plotwise IMO) is completely ignored, because SE didn't feel like spending the time to give him a proper storytelling as Magil in CC.

short answer, the biggest flaw is that SE got lazy.

-  Anti

Lena Andreia

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Ark Forums
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2006, 02:07:40 am »
...that there never was a decent anime. No, but seriously (would have killed for one).

Biggest flaw for me: Silent protaganist. Seriously, the game was amazing, but I've always seen silent protaganists as a drag on any game's story (yes, even the LoZ series). You just miss out on so much about the person. Chrono's death would have had a MUCH bigger impact if you'd seen the type of person he was, since the player would relate to his personality. Was he hopeful about the future? Did he have the typical teenaged "I'm invincible" attitude? Or was he worried about the task they'd undertaken? Did he ever ask Marl or Lucca to sit a battle out because he was concerned for their safety? Or maybe he was a total flirt. XD We'll never know. Games that have protaganists with very powerful personalities always strike a chord with me--since the game is ~their~ story, it's nice to see ~their~ input on it.

This was probably Cross's main flaw for me too. I'm pretty sure that Serge's insights on the different worlds, and his mission objective as a whole would have really helped the plot flow.

Another flaw for me, as a graphics person, is the wonky way that some of the NPCs walk. Seriously. I've been studying these suckers lately, and some of them have some weird walking patterns. I love the variety, but young human Glenn walks like he has a bad case of hemorrhoids.

Daid

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2006, 11:12:36 am »
The only flaws that I can see is under developed areas such as
Last Village
Prehistory
and the Kingdom of Zeal could have had at least one or two more cities.
Also some dialouge was lost in the translation.
Otherwise it is a flawless game ^_^