Author Topic: Jeremy Parish and the Retronauts Fail (Again)  (Read 12553 times)

Mystification

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: Jeremy Parish and the Retronauts Fail (Again)
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 12:10:22 am »
^I agree.  I heard nothing in this podcast that was unfair in any degree.  Sure, they said they didn't like some aspects of the game, but they praised other portions of it.  There really seemed to be a fair balance between the people and they all had a lot of different opinions about it.

I also somewhat agree with the people naming ZeaLity's post as overdramatic.  I seriously started listening to that podcast expecting people talking about how Chrono Cross is the worst game ever made and that they should bury all the copies in existence somewhere.  But it wasn't, there was plenty of positive along with it.  If you want to get people to actually bother to play Chrono Cross, flaming anyone who says anything about it that is not WOWOW AMAZINGING BEST GAME EVAR isn't going to do it.  I know that's an overexaggeration, but I didn't see them as horribly negative.

If you want people to play it, I think you should act a lot more friendly toward people.  You stated the agressive/attacking feels a lot better, but it doesn't get you anywhere.  If anything it alienates the view that Chrono Cross is good more.  You may not see a lot of results by trying to act positive and give information, but I seriously think attacking others is going to give negative results.

Take it for what you will, if you still want to blast people who minutely disagree with you, go for it... But I wouldn't expect people to play Chrono Cross because of that.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 12:13:54 am »
The reason we are so mad, is that they've done this before, and also insulted us as well.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 01:27:37 am »
There's worse.  I've been hearing more and more people complaining about Chrono Trigger because it's NOT Final Fantasy 7.  I really don't get how you can compare 2 completely seperate and unrelated games and base them on what is better or not...It makes no sense.

And if people hate Cross because they're retardedly closed minded, let them.  Bashing them and complaining will not help.  It'll degrade us and our image.  Let them dwell in their thoughts that they call a mind.

Celestial Insanity

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 08:30:40 am »
Also, I fail to see what the podcast changes about the article in question.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 04:14:08 pm »
Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!! Hold the phone! Ras Al Gul isn't a main villain??

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 05:54:51 pm »
Whoa whoa whoa WHOA!! Hold the phone! Ras Al Gul isn't a main villain??

Yeah, what's up with that!?

Besides, it didn't need someone like the The Joker, it had Liam fucking Neeson in it. Anything that guy does is gold.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2008, 12:45:39 pm »
I don't know if I'm falling into someone's trap or not, but I'm angry at things like this at Tvtropes:
He also claims credit for any news articles reported on other sites that relate to the series and insists that it is the existence of his site that allows the modding community to thrive and the plethora of dead mods are the result of people not accepting the support of his site (and not, say, the general trend of fanmods to die on the vine).
These are constantly being maintained by someone named "Rebochan", currently the last poster at that blog entry.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2008, 07:04:31 pm »
Oh, he's an idiot from the Chrono Trigger DS GameFAQs board who spends his time ragging on Chrono Cross. He became especially hostile once I pointed out that he was using the wrong definition of "plot hole" to criticize the game and that Trigger had more holes by leagues. The rat can whine in the cold darkness.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2008, 10:20:28 pm »
He won't be there long. It would sooner swallow him than listen to his whining.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2008, 10:52:53 pm »
Jesus, someone really had it out for ZeaLitY. Getting a screencap of WRONG.PNG with the birdie, even when he changed that pic a matter of hours later? My, my, my. There's people just waiting to pounce on us. Makes me kinda paranoid.

The Compendium *does* sustain the Chrono fan modding community though. Three great roadblocks exist to fan projects: not knowing how the hell to get started, the passing of knowledge from experienced hackers to newcomers, and real life. The Compendium solves the first two pretty handily IMO.

EDIT: Also, for those who may have discovered this site recently and are unfamiliar with the Compendium's longterm history, the assertion that all Compendium theory is forcefully passed off as "canon" is utter bunk. Compendium theory formulation is a "survival of the fittest" affair, with periodic topic reviews to evaluate newly introduced evidence. It's the best we can do given the ambiguity of certain plot points, and only that. But it sure is fun!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 11:06:25 pm by FaustWolf »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2008, 09:39:19 pm »
Yeah, as far as I've ever known, our theorizing is really for fan projects (i.e. non-canon) to try and be as uniform as possible...A lot of it comes down to "we won't know for sure until Kato says so" though...but a lot of it is just rational & logical thinking and Occam's razor (I guess those are both the same, really)...

I don't think the news story should have been taken down from the Compendium front page, though...I mean, this is a community...While ZeaLitY (& Ramsus & a handful of others) are certainly figureheads of a sort here, they're also just people with opinions and I think that ZeaLitY's rants about such things are refreshing even when I don't fully agree with his points...He's talking about things that are happening in his own way, I don't think there should be any censoring (self or otherwise) in regards to such topics.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2009, 01:14:19 am »
Aww... I liked EGM. Good reviews. Covered Twilight Princess rather well.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2009, 02:08:00 am »
Aww... I liked EGM. Good reviews. Covered Twilight Princess rather well.

At one time I did as well, but their last few issues were sucking bad.

I blame their last editor.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2009, 04:40:14 am »