Author Topic: Best Party?  (Read 35217 times)

WasteOfTime

• Iokan (+1)
  • Does not care about your fan-theory.
    • View Profile
Re: Best Party?
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2010, 08:44:04 am »
Crono, Frog/Robo, and Ayla.

Why you would use anything else is beyond me. The game is hardly difficult to begin with, but I'm baffled as to why people are taking Marle or Magus so often here.

TimePhazer

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Linkin Park Rocks! Agree Or Be Assimilated
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 23, 2010, 08:18:50 pm »
Why you would use anything else is beyond me. The game is hardly difficult to begin with, but I'm baffled as to why people are taking Marle or Magus so often here

BECAUSE HE IS BAD ASS

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2010, 06:56:45 am »
Personally, I tend towards a team of Crono, Magus and Ayla, especially in the New Game/Continue+. Crono and Magus are basically one another, but switched around. Crono has amazing attack power and speed, and his magic isn't all that shabby either. Magus, on the other hand, isn't anywhere near as great as Crono physically, and even with the considerable damage his scythes do, he just can't match up to Crono, especially when Crono gets his ultimate weapon. As for Magus' magic, though... I've got him doing about twice as much damage magically as Crono, and even able to outdo Lucca in terms of how efficiently they're blown away. He may not be much of a help when it comes to just whacking enemies with a physical attack, but he can lay waste to hordes of enemies with his magic. Both Crono and Magus are fast, so they can toss in an item whenever it's deemed necessary; that's the only reason I survived Queen Zeal my first time around, because I almost always had someone available to use a megaelixir when Zeal started using the 1HP moves on me like crazy.

As for Ayla, I think she's just amazing. She does just about as much damage as Crono, if not more, with her physical attacks, and even when you have all of them with ** speed, she still gets to go first. Equip her with something that increases her damage, or in some cases critical hit rate, and she'll beat just about anything into a fine, red paste, especially when she gets the Bronze Fist. Sure, her magical abilities suck, but with raw physical power like that, who needs it? Basically, with this team, I just crush pretty much everything that comes my way. The items, especially the elixirs  and megaelixirs, are going to be just about all you'll need to get by in terms of healing, and on the Black Omen you can even buy elixirs, which I've done to the point of having 89-99 of them on me at all times.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2010, 01:00:56 pm »
During my New Game + playthrough's I tend to use Crono, Marle, and Ayla. Marle normally wouldn't make my party, but with the Twin Charm tech they allow me to stock up on Tabs and other helpful items.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 12, 2010, 02:19:54 pm »
Everyone has L99 ... there no right answer... i think.

Ciphermind

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 03, 2011, 01:11:04 am »
I pretty much exclusively stick to Crono, Frog, and Magus.  The vortexes are no exception.

HeadlessFritz

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 03, 2011, 02:59:26 am »
Crono, Frog and Ayla. Slurp Kiss is the most cost-effective healing spell in the game. Frog can always Heal if Ayla is not ready. Crono has Luminaire and Life. 3D Attack is pretty strong. Downside is Frog and Crono's combos which kinda suck.

I actually dislike Magus as a fighter. He's weak. Dark Matter is the least powerful of the final techs (I think even Shock beats it) and he got no double techs. His triple techs are cool, but not cost effective and waste an accessory.

Magus is cool, but he's just looks ;)

Okay, Frog isn't the best choice, but he's just awesome. He's like a medieval Yoda.

Bard_of_Time

• Guardian (+100)
  • Music changes history, you know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 03, 2011, 12:10:43 pm »
Honestly, I've found that every character has their strong points, and can be used to play up anything.

Crono is pretty great all around. I mean, he'd better be. You're stuck with him for almost all of the game.
Marle is an effective healer, and she has Haste, which makes me happy. I hate being pokey.
Lucca has fire elemental attacks, as well as some neat weaponry and protect. She makes up for being a bit pokey by being LUCCA THE GREAT.
Frog has some great physical stuff, and combined with Marle can do some epic healing. Plus, he's a talking frog with a sword.
Ayla can steal stuff (always great, especially when seeking the Wolflobe Sword) and beats the shit out of everything.
Robo is a robot. What more can I say?
Magus has shell (or the equivelent thereof) and has some naaaasty magic attacks.

Any combination of the three of those can fit any play style or preference. I'm partial to Magus-Marle-Lucca because Magus is a pimp and I looooove my buffs. Can anyone say Haste+Shell+Protect? Is nice set up.

Bradums

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2011, 11:40:00 pm »
I generally use Crono (Massive phys attacks + high crit % + Luminaire), Marle (Haste+Heals/Combo Techs), and either Frog (High crit % + off-heals/Combo Techs) or Magus (Decent phys attacks + Heavy magic damage).

I switch around a bit, since everyone is useful enough not to be dead weight, but I mainly use that party. Or, I switch Ayla in for Marle for more damage and a little healing.

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 08, 2011, 06:55:06 pm »
I actually dislike Magus as a fighter. He's weak. Dark Matter is the least powerful of the final techs (I think even Shock beats it) and he got no double techs. His triple techs are cool, but not cost effective and waste an accessory.

It's all in the stats.  :wink:

It's true that, due to his late entry into the game as a playable character, players who rely on boosting stats through heavy tab usage might notice that, by the time they are able to obtain Magus, he may not be the most powerful character in the lineup. Despite that, I believe Magus has the highest natural magic stat of any playable character, which consequently means that any magic-based attack coming from him (Dark Matter) is going to put up ludicrous levels of damage. For the argument of comparison, though, it's all going to depend on how well developed the rest of the characters are statistically.

If he feels stunted, feed him some magic tabs, or give him some magic boosting equipment, and he should be throwing death out of his fingertips.

I don't happen to recall how this translates to characters with maxed stats, but by the time players are able to reach this point, each character in the party should be able to kill Lavos simply by farting in its general direction, so the discussion is partially moot in this aspect.

Bradums

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2011, 07:24:19 pm »
Agreed. In my recent playthrough on the DS, Magus did decent attack damage and his Dark Bombs were throwing out 1200+ while the other characters were critting for 900-1100. Not too shabby, in terms of single-target effects. Of course, for mass destruction, it's Luminaire all the way. I don't think Dark Matter can compare, but it does the job well enough.

Then again, doesn't Luminaire derive from Crono's Str stat, as well as Mag? Or how is that calculated? I know it relies on Str to some extent. In conclusion: Crono defies logic and is using cheat codes >.>