Author Topic: Hmm, Nu means "Now" in avestan language  (Read 2865 times)

Kronopolis

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Hmm, Nu means "Now" in avestan language
« on: December 01, 2008, 03:02:38 pm »
I read article about sea of Zurvan and checking out some avestan words, it's interesting to note "Nu" actually means "Now", so maybe this is another hidden symbolism "everything begins with now and ends with now?"

Well maybe it's just coincidence since masato kato probabaly borrows the Nu from greek and it's actually have meaning. Sorry if this has been posted before, I just want to inform.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Hmm, Nu means "Now" in avestan language
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 07:22:06 am »
Only Sir Bedivere knows the true secrets and meanings to 'Nu'

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 09:51:23 pm »
Nu is also French for nude, right?  8)

Anyhow it could be the Greek letter, could be "the male form of the Egyptian goddess Naunet", or a nod to the Chinese ethnic group, or anything else. My theories suck compared to your quote though.

...although I decided to read this article and found some interesting information:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Due to being a concept, Nu was viewed as not having a gender, but also had aspects that could be represented as female or male as with most Egyptian deities.
Quote from: Wikipedia
As with the other three four primordial concepts of the Ogdoad, Nu's male aspect was depicted as a frog, or a frog-headed man. In Ancient Egyptian art, Nun also appears as a bearded man, with blue-green skin, representing water. Naunet is represented as a snake or snake-headed woman.
The Nu do seem genderless, and they're generally blue...and Frogs are a notable species in CT, maybe there's some connection to Naunet?

Kronopolis

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2008, 02:34:41 pm »
now that's another interesting find (but I'm lacking knowledge of Egyptian pantheon, so excuse me)

The symbolism of blue color of Nu might as well refers waters, just like other mythology, egyptian creation myth started when this very first god feeling lonely and he mast**b*t*d (duh) and his "water" become the gods and the worlds, it's pretty bizarre but roughly symbolizes concept "water of life".

Maybe the Nu(s) scattered in all periods are merely copy of spekkio, again he's character lacking background story, left us with analysis here and there. his name which means "mirror" in italy might refers (or pun?) how he reflected the strength of party, but also the fact he's created out of nothing (creatio ex nihilo). I always thinks whether End of time is practically the center of all time, it could be place of beginning, but also the end, which explains the presence of deity such as spekkio.

well maybe I'm overanalysing, but still make sense to be considered though. ;)

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 10:49:19 pm »
I remember someone mentioning a theory involving the fact "nu" can be rotated 180 and read the same way. The "beginning and end" thing ties in nicely with that.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 04:07:23 pm »
Maybe the Nu(s) scattered in all periods are merely copy of spekkio, again he's character lacking background story, left us with analysis here and there. his name which means "mirror" in italy might refers (or pun?) how he reflected the strength of party, but also the fact he's created out of nothing (creatio ex nihilo). I always thinks whether End of time is practically the center of all time, it could be place of beginning, but also the end, which explains the presence of deity such as spekkio.
Very cool set of theories you got there. We were discussing theories regarding Spekkio in another topic, and his relation to the Nu came up quite a bit.

I remember someone mentioning a theory involving the fact "nu" can be rotated 180 and read the same way. The "beginning and end" thing ties in nicely with that.
That's pretty cool, it seems a little more coincidental, but it's still damn awesome.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 12:03:17 pm »
I thought Nu may be representative of the Entity, or at least the planet, if you don't consider them one and the same. Mostly blue, a patch of green "hair", and only enough appendages to allow semi-sentient life and movement.

If not, it's possible the Nu represents the oceans, or water in general. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_river

From Nu of Egypt in Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_(mythology)
In Egyptian mythology, Nu is the deification of the primordial watery abyss. In the Ogdoad cosmogony, the name nu means "abyss".

I thought it was reasonable to note all major religions have a creation story involving water coming before life. Most also have a flood-type story. Thus "all life begins with water and ends with water."

My last theory is that Nu is actually the same race as (or an invention of) Starky. Take it with a grain of salt, but Starky's race had some funny business with our planet, perhaps the Nu is their watchdog or camera or security guard or something to keep an eye on planetary development and/or Lavos activity.

The Nu is one of the only creatures (other than human) that don't evolve or change from Prehistory to the ruined Future, and if you count Spekkio's last form, all the way to the end of time. That definitely says something.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:04:58 pm by Mr Bekkler »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 12:15:34 pm »
It is sort of hopeless to find reference from other language.
Since Nu has only one syllable, so there's a pretty high chance that every language has a word sounds like it.

BTW,  that Nu River you metioned literally means River of Rage.

The Beach Bum that guards the Neo-Epoch in Chrono Cross looks exactly like a Nu, and a Beach Bum is a marine monster. So more or less, it has something to do with water, I just wonder...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:30:35 pm »
Doesn't quite belong here, but this relates to Nu's and isn't really significant to merit its own thread.

I present "Nu Metal." While it is possible that there was a metalhead on the Chrono team, I suspect this is just a random happenstance. Still, it might explain the Nu's headbutting (or should I say, headbanging" attacks.

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 12:11:48 am »
I thought it was reasonable to note all major religions have a creation story involving water coming before life. Most also have a flood-type story. Thus "all life begins with water and ends with water."

Funny you should say that seeing as how the Zeal continent was brought up from the oceans only to be sent back down crashing.  And again with the tidal wave ending earthbound life aside from the last village inhabitants. 

Also strange is that we associate the Nu, who may represent water, with the Entity.  Lavos, on the the other hand, is represented by fire.  He comes to the planet in a fireball and leaves his final mark on the world with a giant fiery eruption.  He certainly is painted as the outsider.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:29:36 pm »
Doesn't quite belong here, but this relates to Nu's and isn't really significant to merit its own thread.

I present "Nu Metal." While it is possible that there was a metalhead on the Chrono team, I suspect this is just a random happenstance. Still, it might explain the Nu's headbutting (or should I say, headbanging" attacks.

Seeing as the term "Nu Metal" was coined in 1995, it IS possible, but not likely. If they're related at all, it may be the reverse, that the Nu's headbutting/banging may explain the name choice in the English version. I mean, the game has Ozzie, Slash, and Flea, so musical name choices are clearly not out of the question.

Does anyone know if the Nu has a different name in the Japanese version?

Incidentally, if that was where the name came from, I'd be thoroughly disappointed.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 12:03:58 am »
It doesn't have a different name.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 12:29:37 am »
Then it probably isn't from Nu Metal. I am relieved!