Author Topic: So, what happens to the queen...  (Read 7001 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
So, what happens to the queen...
« on: December 01, 2008, 04:39:00 am »
I wonder what in fact happened to ol' Queenie Zeal? She just disappeared, but it didn't seem like she died or whatever.

Would you guys wanna see her in a sequel as potential good or bad guy?

Personally I'd like her to return in a new sequel as a good character where she joins up with Schala and Janus and she apologises for everything and they live happily ever after  :)

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
Re: So, what happens to the queen...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 05:04:35 am »
Quote from: Gaspar
Old Man: The Black Omen is gone, and that
woman's tortured soul is finally at rest.
She has regained her humanity at last.
Now is the time for you to enter the Gate
contained within that bucket!
You fight not only for yourselves, but for
all that lives and breathes in this world.
This is a battle between Lavos and the very
planet itself!

'that woman' means Queen Zeal?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:09:26 am by utunnels »

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 07:47:08 am »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she was killed, and utunnels alrady has the line quoted, so you can see there.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 08:13:21 am »
Please take notice of the line "she regained her humanity at last."

Seems to me he's implying she's not dead. As far as Gaspar can know crap about Queen Zeal that is, 'cause I don't know how he could possibly know about stuff he hasn't seen or heard.

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2008, 08:36:30 am »
She's possibly not dead, due to that 'regain humanity'.
But anyone remember what she says when you defeat her in Black Omen?

Quote from: SFC script
How dare you insects come after ME!  Oh, almighty Lavos, lend me
your power!  Mwa, ha, ha...  At last, Lavos awakens!  Compared with him, you
are like germs.  But, I... I shall obtain immortality!

So 'regain her humanity' is something after Lavos is defeated?
And what does 'obtain immortality' mean?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 08:39:13 am by utunnels »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 09:29:23 am »
So far, it's been up for speculation.

For the record, I'd like to share the version of the Black Omen scene in T.L.O.C.T., specifically after the 2nd Queen battle (at the Celestial Gate). After she says the immortality line (quoted by utunnels), Lavos apparently turns on her, and she is pretty much destroyed.

(T.L.O.C.T. = "The Legend Of Chrono Trigger" on IcyBrian.)

IMO it's a very good explanation of what happened to the Queen, we should strive for an official statement from whoever wrote it out. (Kato, maybe?)

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 04:27:42 pm »
What i meant by dead is in the sense of as janus says she isn't their mother, she is controlled by Lavos. And because of that when they defeat her(as well as Lavos) what gaspar probably means is that she isn't a loon anymore, since according to Schala she was actually a good person at one time and she's probably back to that so her being evil I don't see making much sense since
A.) She's good once again and
B.) Considering she's the almighty and all wise queen you'd think she'd have the intellegence to not make the same mistake again.
besides C.) Even if she lacked that intellect, she certainly wouldn't have anything that would allow her to become ultra powerful anymore. No more magic, no more technology, no more slaves, no more anything.

As for Gaspar knowing the stuff it is possible that since the other gurus are gurus because of their powers and his allows him to see into time. or maybe he can see anytime period from the End Of Time?

Lastly, obtain immortality I assume means that she's either thinking same age forever, only killing her can succeed in her death or more likely since she transforms and attacks I assume that it means something along the lines of living forever at the same age AND nothing can erase her from existence.

Somehow it has to relate to her never aging because how else can you explain her on the Black Omen in every time period never looking different?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 05:05:29 pm »
It says somewhere the Black Omen transcends time...

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 05:07:38 pm »
 "regaining her humanity" implies the opposite to me. She's finally free. That sounds like dead, but since we can only assume that, she might as well be alive. rule of thumb: IF THERE WEREN'T WITNESSES, IT DIDN'T DIE.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2008, 07:13:08 pm »
Yeah, but that witnesses rule may be eliminated when time travel gets involved. Or anything space time related.

But that's what this section is for isn't it?  :)

So the Black Omen transcends time...
Perhaps the immortality thing has something to do with just how Schala merged with Lavos maybe Queen Zeal had an intention of that sort?

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 12:06:54 am »
Perhaps the immortality thing has something to do with just how Schala merged with Lavos maybe Queen Zeal had an intention of that sort?

That's how I felt the direction CT was going in.  The setup seemed to make more sense that the one who would be cast into the dbt would be Zeal, and not Schala.  Here we have a person who actually has made a connection with Lavos, and is enabled to transcend time itself with the Black Omen.  When one fights in a time transcending device connection to a being capable of temporal anomalies, that seems a better trigger for going to a place beyond time itself, rather than just some time hole that sent four other people to other various time places.  Plus, since the Mammon machine is also sent, it would have to have been sent from the Omen as well, as it'd have to happen after the heroes fight it.   Although I now know this next connection to be a mistranslation, I always thought that Gaspar's last statement at the end of the side-quest list  (find this person, fast!)  was also referring to Zeal.  When one has the means to travel in time, there isn't exactly a need to hurry to something unless that something deals with, or transcends time itself.  So I thought it was a warning for Crono and crew to try and prevent the merger that would later become the devourer of Cross; one which they failed. 

That delusion aside, I'd say Zeal's fading away is either a form of dematerialization or she's sacrificing herself as the trigger to summon Lavos.  Usually I see stories using peace and regained humanity as a means of conveying death.  The clearest example I can think of is from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.  Rajaion was said to have regained his sanity and died peacefully from the ritual, and I think the choice of words Gaspar uses is for a similar meaning. 

She's dead.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 04:06:30 am »
No no hold on you can't say that for sure yet. Remember she fades away before that too and she came back just as well.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 05:09:47 am »
I think when Gaspar says she regains her humanity he's talking about the fact that she finally did die and was no longer an 'immortal'...It's interesting to note, though, that the Black Omen in 1000AD & 600BC both, when you confront Zeal atop the Black Omen itself is in 12000BC, so in effect, you can fight her 3 times there...Though I highly doubt the run throughs of the Black Omen in 1000AD or 600BC are canon...I just do it to level a little more & Charm more crap (the Prism armors from Zeal's final form, mostly)...

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 07:33:41 am »
Personally I have a feeling that she's already dead from Gaspar's words, just an intuition though, but just like in reality, if someone says something in that way, you'll surely have a bad feeling that something bad happened...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2008, 11:21:37 am »
I always thought that she died b/c of what Gaspar said when the Black Omen vanishes completely.

Quote from: Gaspar
OLD MAN: That poor woman can finally rest, now that the Black Omen is gone.

And in regard to the retelling of her death in T.L.O.C.T., I think it's fan speculation in support of the idea.

...she's sacrificing herself as the trigger to summon Lavos.

I personally consider this highly plausible as an alternative theory if it is ever officially stated that she simply didn't die when the Omen was destroyed.

She kills herself to become one with Lavos, sacrificing the Omen in an attempt to wipe out the heroes. If this is true, then she exists as part of Lavos. There is no longer Zeal and Lavos, be it mentally, physically, or even spiritually. There is just the two of them, and they are both one entity, Lavos.