Poll

Which name for Frog's sword is better?

Masamune
28 (58.3%)
Grandleon
13 (27.1%)
New name (might be applied to the JPN version AND the English version)
0 (0%)
New name (JPN version only)
0 (0%)
New name (English version only)
1 (2.1%)
We should be allowed to name it.
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Masamune or Grandleon?  (Read 9341 times)

TheSwordsFrog

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Masamune or Grandleon?
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 05:45:49 am »
I chose grandleon because it's,umm...oh yeah,the ORIGINAL name!  :| I so hate woosley inventions why not just translate the game   :evil:

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 12:33:52 pm »
A lot of the original translation wasn't really his fault...He wasn't given much time to work on it along with censorship issues at the time (they were extremely heinous back then)...Games were still mostly kids' things...

TheSwordsFrog

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 04:20:17 pm »
ok I can understand that,but at least transliterate the names...I don't think kids would be shocked if you kept the same names,even by the standards back then  :shock: and what does censorship have to do with that "frog talks like shakespeare" thingy?  :| that,he could do without.honestly.ah well,luckily there's DS version and SNES retranslation now  :)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 04:41:45 pm »
A lot of the original translation wasn't really his fault...He wasn't given much time to work on it along with censorship issues at the time (they were extremely heinous back then)...Games were still mostly kids' things...
I agree that there are some Woolseyisms in CT, things that Woolsey chose to do that don't appear to be due to time constraints or other limitations, but none of that would be why the translation is week...Things like the names Slash, Flea, and Ozzie, and Masamune, and Frog's speech had nothing to do with the translation process--they're choices made for localization.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 02:52:40 am »
I did say "a lot", not everything. I thought the fact that it was a localization was obvious...>_>

TheSwordsFrog

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 06:47:06 am »
one thing is localization,but they totally turned frog's character upside down.sorry but the linguist in me can't stand this kind of errors  :P I do the same when I listen,for example,to the english and italian version of a movie(I'm italian)and hear that some sentences are totally screwed up  :x I'm all for keeping the original whenever it's possible,that's all  :wink:

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 12:02:57 pm »
I did say "a lot", not everything. I thought the fact that it was a localization was obvious...>_>
Righto, righto. I guess I was just trying to say that the name Masamune was a complete Woolseyism, regardless of how much time he could have been given or how many constraints were lifted off his shoulders.

I don't see the problem with Frog's speech though--it was weird, but I thought it was a hilarious character quirk.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 03:30:08 pm »
I personally don't like it because it was an addition that wasn't made by the creator (in most cases they aren't even privy to the changes [or perhaps just don't care about them >_<]). I understand the usage, if not the precise need, of localizations, but prefer more literal translations...Though I think it kind of requires the ability to read & understand context...Sometimes things fly over my head in those regards, but with the miracles of teh internets, information is readily available at the tips of my fingers...! That can be kind of neat, really...Learn some cultural (along with just personal) differences & junk. :lol:
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 03:32:17 pm by V_Translanka »

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2009, 03:11:56 am »
Masamune was a katana.

Grandleon was an original sword developed for the Chronoverse.

Woolsey chose Masamune instead of the new sword's name because he thought only Final Fantasy nerds would be playing Chrono Trigger.

I voted Grandleon.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2009, 03:47:04 am »
I thought this was another old topic.  I voted Grandleon, the name itself sounds like a powerful weapon.

Although, the characteristic of the sword in CC reminds me of Muramasa(the legendary cursed sword).

I don't know much about the sword, but if I recall, "another expert swordsmith" metioned here should be Muramasa.
Quote from: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Masamune.html#Name_Origin
Name Origin

A fable exists in which a swordsmith, Masamune, had to face off against another expert swordsmith. After completing their work, the two thrust their swords into a river. Passing leaves were cut in two by the opposition, while Masamune's sword actually made the leaves float away due to its spiritual power. This is exemplary of the notion of 'fighting without fighting,' seen in Sun Tzu's Art of War and typified in Bruce Lee's film Enter the Dragon.

Kage

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Virtue and Honor
    • View Profile
    • Paper Caper
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 04:02:32 pm »
I am fine with both, Its kinda annoying that things get renamed for what seems like no reason during translations and ports. However I am fine with both names and either is ok as long as the context is correct.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2009, 01:39:17 am »
Masamune is probably the best name, but I think it would be cool if you could name it.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2009, 01:53:26 pm »
i first played this game when i was in third grade. the thought of a shakespearean knight forced to live his days as a manfrog, then was able to find a sacred sword that was better than excalibur and then go travel through all eras of time, inspired the hell outta me.

i like masamune. that's what i grew up with. grandleon sounds french. frog is not french.

and as far as translation differences, i prefer the differences. to me, woolsley's (sp) translation is the best, as it was the first to let us in america peek into this otherwise unaccessable japanese treasure. i like the localization. vegetable and condiment names remind me of dbz, and i never liked them. a normal talking, non shakespearean frog would not have solidified as a dutiful knight of old in my mind. while some things i don't necessarily understand or agree with (ie. god of war, soup drinking contest, soda chugging at the fair) i still find it's the most well-rounded translation so far. i have not played the DS version, so i have no opinion of that one yet.

i like to think of woolsley as ONE of the creators, as he's the one that made it so I can play it. he "wrote" the AMERICAN version of the script.

that is to say, if not for good old ted, i wouldn't be posting here right now, and the compendium probably wouldn't exist. so my vote goes to masamune. however, naming it yourself is a damn cool idea that the creators should have thought of. but that had nothing to do with the translation.

MagilsugaM

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2009, 03:05:40 am »
Grandleon FTW... Masamune is a katana!  :picardno

If therre was a sword called Masamune will be for Crono....

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2009, 03:41:03 am »
Masamune is probably the best name, but I think it would be cool if you could name it.

Nice idea, so perhaps someone should make a rom hack contains this feature. LOL
You can name Cyan's SwdTechs in FF6...it would be COOL if you can do same things in CT. :shock:
Maybe we can call a character rename screen in CT and save the value somewhere else?