Author Topic: Encyclopedia almost always down?  (Read 1253 times)

4th Triforce piece

Encyclopedia almost always down?
« on: November 29, 2008, 12:49:00 am »
Can someone tell me where to address this issue as I don't think a PM will be looked at from a low-lifer like me.

What's up with that?   It's been especally bad the last few weeks.   Mostly in the evenings?  That's usually when I check anywhoo but it was down all day today.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:00:05 am by 4th Triforce piece »

Ramsus

Re: Encyclopedia almost always down?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 01:03:28 am »
I'm not seeing this problem because I'm in Korea, so the time difference means I don't see what the site is like at peak traffic. Do pages just hang, or do they show error messages?

Also, if anyone else having these problems could post it here with as much information as they can, I'd appreciate it.

Last time we ran into problems like this, we set up memcached, but now that traffic has tripled, we might have to look at streamlining the site.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 02:01:36 am »
The encyclopedia has been working fine for me, and I have be frequenting it much more recently too.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 02:36:34 am »
I've noticed some slowdown, but I figure it was more my lame-duck connection rather than the influx of visitors...but maybe it was a combination...

Ramsus

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 02:58:09 am »
Gone are the days when we could host on the back end of some cheap cable connection with a spare tower running FreeBSD.

It might be time to replace MediaWiki.

Ramsus

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 06:43:45 am »

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 09:34:42 am »
I've noticed some slowdown, but I figure it was more my lame-duck connection rather than the influx of visitors...but maybe it was a combination...

It's happened a lot for me, too. Something must be buggy.

Ramsus

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 10:00:30 am »

It's happened a lot for me, too. Something must be buggy.

Memcached doesn't seem to be working too well. We probably have to increase the amount of memory it uses, but the filesystem cache option should make all of that irrelevant now.

The real problem is that you can only have so many connections to a MySQL server going at the same time, and the Encyclopedia and forums usually hit up the server with each page view. If we were running on a few hundred machines like Wikipedia, that wouldn't be a problem because we'd support thousands of concurrent connections that way, but because we're using cheap shared hosting and our traffic goes to the same machine as a few dozen other sites, if caching isn't working, then the Encyclopedia and Forums will eat up all the connections we're given with just a few dozen simultaneous visitors.

Therefore, nothing is "buggy," so much as the site is just starved for resources. That's the reality of cheap hosting though. Fortunately only a few people edit the Encyclopedia on a regular basis, so enabling the filesystem cache should make it so everything is pretty much fixed now, and we should be able to scale up to at least several dozen times more traffic than we're getting now. If you still notice any more problems, then make sure to mention them here.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 10:05:47 am by Ramsus »

4th Triforce piece

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 01:05:58 pm »
Triforce's Internet Connection:   Fiber Optic cable DS connection:  We get ours from Downtown Silverton Or.   

This morning I was looking up info about how to find mid and full ethers for my fight against Lavo's but it's down again.     The page hangs and hangs.

Ramsus

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2008, 01:34:32 pm »
Triforce's Internet Connection:   Fiber Optic cable DS connection:  We get ours from Downtown Silverton Or.   

This morning I was looking up info about how to find mid and full ethers for my fight against Lavo's but it's down again.     The page hangs and hangs.

As in nothing loads at all? No errors or anything? And this only happens on the Compendium Encyclopedia?

What browser are you using and on what OS? When you ping or traceroute the Compendium, do you get any dropped packets?

Also, what specific pages are giving you trouble? Keep in mind pages don't cache until they've been visited a few times, so rarely visited pages may still get hung up when the forums are active.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 01:37:54 pm by Ramsus »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2008, 03:40:53 pm »
Okay now I am having trouble. It just won't load period now, I run Firefox 2 on a XP professional. I ping'd twice 75% then 100% packet return.

Its working now, huh.

Ramsus

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2008, 11:15:00 pm »
Fom now on, copy and paste specific links of what you were trying to do when it didn't load. That way I can put together a pattern of what was happening.

I think, like I said before, it may be that some people are visiting certain pages for the first time with the filecache enabled, so they haven't been cached yet and still run slow.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2008, 11:20:07 pm »
I wonder if it's possible for Ramsus to set a negative post count.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 12:51:16 am »
What do you mean?  :?

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 12:55:35 am »
Between 11:30PM and 11:52PM EST, the entire site (especially the Forum) was running slow for me, then all of a sudden it's quick as a wink as of 11:54PM EST.