Author Topic: Playing Chrono Cross on PSP  (Read 5181 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Playing Chrono Cross on PSP
« on: November 27, 2008, 09:57:06 am »
Anyone know how to play Chrono Cross on a PSP? I'm thinking of getting one, but only if I can play CC on it

Decadent Sympozium

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Apotheosis of Judgment
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Chrono Cross on PSP
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 02:19:18 pm »
Anyone know how to play Chrono Cross on a PSP? I'm thinking of getting one, but only if I can play CC on it

Download Chrono Cross for PSP from any torrent site or rip your own Chrono Cross at home to PSP eboot.pbp format using popstation gui program for converting. You are, ofcourse, requierd to have an iso image before converting.

Then, you have to flash your PSP memory to an appropriate homebrew firmware, my suggestion is 3.7 if fat, or above if slim; the instructions, tutorials and files are all over the net.

Then, you need to check the Chrono Cross PSP issues list and exactly match the CC disc id's using popstation gui with firmware version, otherwise you'll never finish the game because there are too many freezing moments. Disc 1 and Disc 2 also must have the same ID in order for virtual memory card to load recorded file, because you can't switch discs or change iso/pbp files during play.

I'm playing on fat system with 3.7+ firmware and changed ID corresponding to the particular firmware. Yup, let love bleed...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 02:22:33 pm by Decadent Sympozium »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 02:38:27 pm »
Could you perhaps link the firmware you used and tell me the ID that goes along with it?

Decadent Sympozium

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Apotheosis of Judgment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 02:42:18 pm »
Could you perhaps link the firmware you used and tell me the ID that goes along with it?

Found the link for ya, take a look at this:

http://www.gamerspress.com/index.php?title=PSX_on_PSP_Compatibility_List

Then, google. Or search afterdawn.com forum, everything is mentioned there. The reason why I am not writing you everything here is because there is so much to do to make this work. plus everything depending on the model you have/will have, that it's pointless even trying; so it's best you slowly go and figure on your own. That's how I did it.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 09:15:50 am »
I have the ID somewhere, I'll go find it...

Here you go:
One of those is the ID you need to change it to, and one is the Chrono Cross ID. Sorry, I was reading these off ISOs and didn't know which was which, but you should be able to tell once you open the ISO in whatever program you use to edit the ID.

Also, you're gonna need Popsloader to load the correct type of homebrew firmware while using PSX games - Cross requires 3.01 (or 3.11) I think. So you download Popsloader, put that into the GAME150 folder in the root of your memory stick (I think), and put the downloaded old custom firmwares you got. This means you can load particular firmware when you start up a PSX game (hold R when starting one up to change the firmware). Try out a few, you'll know which is right if it doesn't freeze on the status screen, Mama Komodo, or when you get a new character.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 09:27:29 am by Pyt Fumv »

RyougaSaotome

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 09:31:11 am »
If you have the newest CFW, then just test each version of popsloader till you find one that works.

You should be able to go without changing the ID or anything. Took me forever to figure it out.

I would also recommend downloading a copy that has the two discs on one eboot, otherwise you won't be able to switch discs because the swap comes at an awkward point.

I'd recommend psp-hacks.com. They have a lot of people who have asked the same question, so they should be able to answer it pretty handily.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 11:44:05 am »
I would also recommend downloading a copy that has the two discs on one eboot, otherwise you won't be able to switch discs because the swap comes at an awkward point.

I heard the multi-disc eboot has problems with popsloader or the ID or something...

Decadent Sympozium

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Apotheosis of Judgment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 03:50:18 pm »
It does. Best shot is converting it again or converting your own to fix id to scus94something, it's written up there in my link, for a 3.71 m33 version, and match disc id's. The whole process is important because sometimes the actual game id isn't changed and it still show original id, instead of forced one. It freezes on entering status screen, but the only real point of going to status screen is to look under girl's skirts and observe their panties so I suppose we can survive not being able to do that to at least some level.

Alternatively, for disc change, you can use cwcheat memory card manager option to transfer save file from psp to PC, play through disc change on ePSXe, store and return it to mem card, load it with mem manager and proceed with play. Kills the game a bit, but boo hoo.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 03:52:18 pm by Decadent Sympozium »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 05:25:03 pm »
Jeezus, what a pain is this all. Is there anyone who actually has Cross working smoothly on the PSP? Good fps, graphical quality, etc? I don't wanna go through this unless it's absolutely worth it.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2008, 06:00:19 pm »
Is there anyone who actually has Cross working smoothly on the PSP? Good fps, graphical quality, etc?

I do, but I'm not sure what else I could advise...

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2008, 06:06:35 pm »
Yeah I'll figure it out I just need to know how the quality is. If it plays smoothy, if the graphics are not too pixelated, basically, if it's about the same quality as on the PSX.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2008, 06:37:36 pm »
Yeah, everything's full speed and the quality's perfect as far as I can tell. Only thing is one of the popsloader firmwares will cause the item menu (the one displayed when you press the Square button in the field) to become invisible, but it's easy enough to navigate if you exit and open it, which makes it flash on screen. I didn't have this problem in 3.03, which seems to run the game perfectly.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 07:01:16 pm »
Ok, in that case, can someone type down steps what I should do in which order? I have iso's for both CD's.

RyougaSaotome

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 10:46:05 pm »
There is a way around the double eboot problem.

I'm using the double eboot on the latest CFW. It works.

You just need to boot from disc 2, and then when it asks you to change back to disc 1, switch over again. It freezes on the playstation screen if you just try from disc 1.

Decadent Sympozium

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Apotheosis of Judgment
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 03:47:00 pm »
There is a way around the double eboot problem.

I'm using the double eboot on the latest CFW. It works.

You just need to boot from disc 2, and then when it asks you to change back to disc 1, switch over again. It freezes on the playstation screen if you just try from disc 1.

There is more than one way. You can also use cwcheat memory card manager to go through boot part via PC's ePSXe emulator, converting memory save from PSP to ePSXe and backward after saving on ePSXe, bypassing boot.

as for graphics: They cannot be a smooth and detailed as on PC and can't be blurred as on PSX because it either doesn't recognize or it doesn't support hardware-software rendered blurr. Surroundings look very, very nice, but the polygonal character are a lil' bit jerky. Nothing that should seriously mess with your gameplay - specially since there's absolutely no slowing down what-so-ever. Besides, I'd play CC even if all you see are polygon lines.