Author Topic: A little issue about Time Bastard  (Read 8144 times)

IrishReaper

• Iokan (+1)
  • We have met the enemy and it is ourselves.
    • View Profile
Re: A little issue about Time Bastard
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2009, 11:36:01 pm »
Right on all points. And i do believe that there is a way around Time Bastard. As we have seen, very strong magic screws with time(Marle's Pendant, the Chrono Trigger, Haste, Slow) resulting in either time travel or the speed of time being altered in certain situations. So, what if the reaction between the two Prima Stones somehow slowed time for the newly formed Saintstone? The stone would still be affected by the physical world, as hasted and slowed characters can still be attacked and attack, yet be immune to the Time Bastard Theory, as it would exist in it's own seperate time flow.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2009, 12:08:06 am »
So, what if the reaction between the two Prima Stones somehow slowed time for the newly formed Saintstone? The stone would still be affected by the physical world, as hasted and slowed characters can still be attacked and attack, yet be immune to the Time Bastard Theory, as it would exist in it's own seperate time flow.

It is a possibility, but I think it's highly unlikely it works like that.

Even if an object's own speed is slowed or hasted, it doesn't change the passage of time around it. Overall, time doesn't really speeds or slows for it. Those type of examples, like the usage of the Haste and Slow spells, will they really affect in terms of time?

Sure, a hasted object or person would move faster, but does it ages, for example, faster as well? Or if someone is slowed, if they are hit, will the pain take longer to be felt than what it would take if not slowed?

I don't know the answer, but with what I understand of the concept, I think it's unlikely.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:25:08 am by Acacia Sgt »

IrishReaper

• Iokan (+1)
  • We have met the enemy and it is ourselves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2009, 12:46:38 am »
I do admit that my theory is highly unlikely. However, it is all we have for the time being, unless Kato just added that in to get a laugh out of the reactions of the really devoted fans. Like the side stories in Radical Dreamers. Mick Van Jovie, anybody?

papercut

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 12:07:17 pm »
I didn't read all the replies but I belive there is aperfectly scientific explanation . . . . that will still leave you with a question:

I think Time Bastard is only referring to the occurence at the exact point in time.  So even if the the doomed time traveller travels back in time, he doesn't escape the flow of time.  The reason I say you would still be left with a question, is because this somewhat validates the Time Bastard theory, in that, even if the created branch duplicate of the individual isn't outright destroyed by the original time traveller's return, the doomed duplicate must always travel back in time away from that exact point in time, being, in a way, then destroyed.  Theoretically they can't even travel foward "past" (ha ha, see what I did there, but no pun ._.) the exact point in time because the theory states they must be destroyed.

Oh, I almost forgot:  the branch duplicate (or original pristine non-time traveler)  would need a reason to travel away from this point in time.  There's is nothing in the theory to suggest the branch duplicate would have any means of attaining this information (especially without ever time traveling in the first place) hence, even though I shouldn't laugh, it being called the Time BASTARD theory ha ha ha ha.  Hapless dupe.