Author Topic: Eclipse/new ending - Japanese script (SPOILERS)  (Read 6016 times)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: Eclipse/new ending - Japanese script (SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 01:46:50 pm »
Aye, the translator didn't seem to take CC into consideration...unless a CC retranslation is on the way! Hah.

Quote from: Japanese script
Magus: Heh...  very well, then...If that's how it is, I too will throw away everything and disappear. And if even then, something still remains--if some part of this being I call "myself" still keeps existing...Maybe then it will be possible for something new to be born, to begin.
Compare that to this quote:
Quote from: English script
Magus: Hmph. If this is to be the way of things, then let me abandon all that was and fade away as well. Should a part of me somehow even then remain, then perhaps that will be the birth of something new--something with greater meaning than all of this.
In the Japanese script, he seems to take this a lot more lightly and even acknowledges an alternate "self". Look how disheartened and...pissy...he sounds in the second quote; it sounds like he's giving up out of anger, whereas the Japanese script shows this greater level of understanding in what he's about to do.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 01:49:08 pm »
All my predictions/analysations still hold true? Interesting...

Arc, did you notice anything else that might be interesting? If so, please tell us.

Also, the Schala-fanboy in me wants to know what she says if you lose that battle.

Both in the English version and the translation of the Japanese.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 01:53:54 pm »
Here's what happens in the English version, Schala says "The end of all is nigh" and then the in-game text "In the end, the future refused to change."

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 01:54:56 pm »
Here's what happens in the English version, Schala says "The end of all is nigh" and then the in-game text "In the end, the future refused to change."

<Insert Lavos Scream Here>

ROFL.

Dream Devourer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 01:58:04 pm »
Aye, the translator didn't seem to take CC into consideration...unless a CC retranslation is on the way! Hah.

Magus: Heh...  very well, then...If that's how it is, I too will throw away everything and disappear. And if even then, something still remains--if some part of this being I call "myself" still keeps existing...Maybe then it will be possible for something new to be born, to begin.
Magus: Hmph. If this is to be the way of things, then let me abandon all that was and fade away as well. Should a part of me somehow even then remain, then perhaps that will be the birth of something new--something with greater meaning than all of this.
In the Japanese script, he seems to take this a lot more lightly and even acknowledges an alternate "self". Look how disheartened and...pissy...he sounds in the second quote; it sounds like he's giving up out of anger, whereas the Japanese script shows this greater level of understanding in what he's about to do.

Is it just me, or did Magus' encounter with Schala reawaken his "Janus" personality? To me it seems like he sarcastically refers to himself post-Zeal (after becoming Magus) as "myself", indicating that this isn't the true him.

And yes, I have seen what she said in the English version, I just want to know what she originally said.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 02:14:07 pm »

Is it just me, or did Magus' encounter with Schala reawaken his "Janus" personality? To me it seems like he sarcastically refers to himself post-Zeal (after becoming Magus) as "myself", indicating that this isn't the true him.

And yes, I have seen what she said in the English version, I just want to know what she originally said.

Probably one of the most respectable things Janus/Magus has done in the whole series.

Anyone ever read "Chrono Trigger Prophecies" by Jerm?

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2008, 02:23:49 pm »
No, rather--
For as long as you rely on power,
none of you can heal this world's
grief, or its despair.

Quote from: Chrono Cross Script
Dragon God:
   In order to survive,
   all living things in this world

fight desperately and
   devour those they defeat...

Must one kill other living
   things in order to survive?

Must one destroy another world
   in order to allow one's own
   world to continue?

The wounded in turn wound
   and torment those weaker
   than they themselves are...

There are only the killers and
   the killed...
   The sinners, who are judged, and
   the victims that do the judging...

What meaning is there
   to such a world?

Kid:
   So that's Terra Tower's
   final, true form...
   In the end, we're all the
   same...
   Everyone dreams of bein'
   greater, more powerful...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2008, 02:26:40 pm »
No, rather--
For as long as you rely on power,
none of you can heal this world's
grief, or its despair.

Dragon God:
   In order to survive,
   all living things in this world

fight desperately and
   devour those they defeat...

Must one kill other living
   things in order to survive?

Must one destroy another world
   in order to allow one's own
   world to continue?

The wounded in turn wound
   and torment those weaker
   than they themselves are...

There are only the killers and
   the killed...
   The sinners, who are judged, and
   the victims that do the judging...

What meaning is there
   to such a world?

Kid:
   So that's Terra Tower's
   final, true form...
   In the end, we're all the
   same...
   Everyone dreams of bein'
   greater, more powerful...

Hmm...

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2008, 03:32:51 pm »
I like this more than the English version. The something he has to find is more vague, so it's not irritating like

Magus: FINE if she's gonna be like THAT I'll just DISAPPEAR TOO! I'll probably have more meaning if I erase my memories, yeah!
Amnesiagus: Ugggh there was something important but I can't remember, my meaning will be... a snappy dresser searching for my memories!
Me: >:I

Still kinda miffed that after everything he's been through, this timeline has Magus so obsessed with power that he can't seem to fathom an existence where HITTING IT DOESN'T WORK UUURGH.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2008, 04:12:42 pm »
I like this more than the English version. The something he has to find is more vague, so it's not irritating like

Magus: FINE if she's gonna be like THAT I'll just DISAPPEAR TOO! I'll probably have more meaning if I erase my memories, yeah!
Amnesiagus: Ugggh there was something important but I can't remember, my meaning will be... a snappy dresser searching for my memories!
Me: >:I

Still kinda miffed that after everything he's been through, this timeline has Magus so obsessed with power that he can't seem to fathom an existence where HITTING IT DOESN'T WORK UUURGH.

NICE.

Here, have a cookie.

Arc Impulse

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
    • http://duelist.livejournal.com/
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2008, 04:33:52 pm »
lol, long reply is long.

Arc, you have hugely made some progress here, so the Compendium thanks you from the bottom of its collective heart. From the Japanese translation, it is clear that:

1. Time's Eclipse is just a translation bastardization; it really is the Darkness Beyond Time we're dealing with here.
2. The issue of whether Eclipse Magus traveled with Crono & Co. in his dimension is still vague.
3. There is less evidence in the Japanese translation that Schala actively erases anyone's memories. She doesn't say anything like "dwell not on this," and Eclipse Magus apparently erases his own memories ("throw away" is much more active than "abandon.") However, Eclipse Magus still notes that the Dream Devourer has the capability of devouring memories. However, the preponderance of the evidence shows that Eclipse Magus commits existential suicide.

You're very welcome :)

Re point 2, I think the Japanese version all but explicitly tells us that Eclipse Magus did indeed join up with Crono's party.  The fact that he says "we" defeated Lavos -- in a language where you only bother using the plural when you're making a specific point -- and the line about "I don't know whether I joined up with you guys in your world" heavily implies "but I did join up with you in my world."  To me this seems like the biggest oversight in the English adaptation -- the translator/adaptor got all caught up in making Magus sound all kewl and philosophical and deep as they consistently do throughout CTDS, and accidentally obscured this specific fact in the process.

Also re 3, if the specific verb is important to you, I should note that what he says in Japanese is "nagedasu" --  this can be translated as 'throw away', 'abandon', 'sacrifice', 'throw down', etc.  The literal imagery in the word is to cast something or toss something away from you -- 'nageru' is the same word you use to describe throwing a baseball, for example.  I'm not sure if it's possible to really determine his intent from this single word; the connotations of it aren't really the same as 'throw away' vs 'abandon' in English, as you can see.

Yeah, I don't know why they call it Time's Eclipse...although that's a cool name...
'時の闇' means Time's Darkness in literal or we say The Darkness of Time.

It seems the translator even didn't take CC's script into consideration?

I really, really don't think they consulted CC, for serious :/

My feeling is the translator wasn't too worried about the consistency issue and just picked Time's Eclipse because it sounded neat.  You can say that when there's an eclipse, it gets dark after all, lol.  They probably just didn't realize that the name Darkness of Time has a specific meaning in the series.

All my predictions/analysations still hold true? Interesting...

Arc, did you notice anything else that might be interesting? If so, please tell us.

Also, the Schala-fanboy in me wants to know what she says if you lose that battle.
I'll check on Schala's dialogue if you lose here in a bit, though judging by what she says in the English version, I doubt it will be much of anything interesting :(

I'm not sure what you're looking for in the way of interesting things I noticed, but in terms of trying to figure out just who Eclipse Magus is/where or when he's from, I find it interesting that he consistently calls himself "ore" in the way of a first-person pronoun.  I haven't played through the entirety of CTDS in Japanese, but I think it's safe to say they didn't rewrite the entire game, and when I played the SFC version Magus consistently referred to himself as "watashi" 99.9% of the time.  There's a single scene where he calls himself "ore", and it has a great dramatic impact -- it's in the Ocean Palace, when the Mammon Machine summons forth Lavos, right before Crono gets killed.  Magus tries to take his revenge and talks about how he's lived for nothing but defeating Lavos, and that particular point is the only part of the game where he refers to himself with the aggressive-sounding "ore" rather than the very neutral "watashi".

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, but don't read too much into my quotation marks -- I added those for readability in English, nothing more.  There's nothing to imply sarcasm in the Japanese.  (Indeed, Japanese does not really have sarcasm as a concept at all, to tell the truth.)

Dream Devourer

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »
Guess I over-analyzed...>_<"

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2008, 05:13:54 pm »
Thanks for the translation. Very interesting topic... Some random thoughts:

Because I myself was the one who,
in deepest grief and despair,
wished that everything...  that even
my own existence would be erased...

A very similar idea is described in Radical Dreamers concerning Schala:

Long ago, in a far off kingdom, lived a girl. Because of her power, the kingdom
had come to an end, crumbling under its own weight. Many became engulfed in the
temporal vortex that was created, never to be heard from again...
...But not the girl. She lived on, enduring a much sadder fate... Running from
her past and fearing her future, she wanted nothing more than to be swallowed
up in the surging waves of the vortex of time...

Incidentally, it's Schala that erases her memories in Radical Dreamers (Kid = Schala), rather than Magus. It was thanks to the Frozen Flame though, not on her own.

No matter what happens, I'll get it back again.
No matter what.

"No matter what"... I really like that part. Contrary to other people, I don't think this alternate Magus is that different from normal Magus. The latter always displayed a very special, paradoxical mixture of will power and despair. Alt Magus also displays that. Even after giving up his memories he still keeps on uttering "No matter what". Besides, Magus already gave up his identity once (when Janus became Magus); he basically does the same thing again here, except in a more dramatic way since his Magus persona is so much more overwhelming than that of young Janus (see Guile's Frozen Flame quote also).
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 05:16:05 pm by Chrono'99 »

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2008, 09:22:15 pm »
Wow, this is really interesting... O_O

Still confusing, though it does clear some things up. I agree, it seems like Tom Slattery didn't play CC. o.O

I agree with FaustWolf: We need a Re-retranslation.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2008, 10:07:44 pm »
Hahaha... A re-retranslation would be nice... But perhaps this is setting things up in a direction that we have not yet foreseen.  This may not be setting up events for CC, but perhaps they're setting events up for another Chrono game?  I know it's already been proposed, I just feel that that is so much more likely.  Granted, I'm one of the ones who refuses to acknowledge any relation between Guile and Magus.  Maybe I'm in denial, maybe I'm not.

As far as I'm concerned, the fate of "Future Magus" or "Time Eclipse Magus" is still left unintentionally vague, and I assume that he has a fresh start - and not one as Guile.