Author Topic: Magus: Humans didn't know what he looked like?  (Read 6163 times)

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: Magus: Humans didn't know what he looked like?
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2008, 02:50:19 pm »
The thing about a statue though, its they generally embellish some features, not to mention they're also grey all over and not in color.  Granted, its still hard to not say "hey, its the guy with a cape and scythe"  Who knows, maybe that's why Fritz was getting the capitol punishment – he dressed up in a wig, a cape and was sifting wheat or whatever with a scythe.

Wayhaps once Crono and crew figured out Magus' motive's weren't to slaughter all of mankind, the kingdom was forgiving.  I always got a kick out of doing the Rainbow Shell side quest with Magus in lead so then I get Leene to beg the King to store the rainbow shell on behalf of "Sir Magus' honor" 

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2008, 04:18:48 pm »
Maybe it's just me, but freaking everyone with Crono should look weird to the people in the past...excepting of course Marle...maybe Lucca...Magus gets away as just another of the weird hero troupe...and, no, I don't think the people of Guardia would generally know the ruling force of the Mystics...we don't even know if he ever really led any attacks against Guardia personally (or at all for that matter).

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2008, 04:29:51 pm »
I think no matter the time period, nobody would be surprised by seeing something like them. There are so many monsters, and everyone knows about them. Not just the Mystics either. So I don't think they'd really be surprised. Especially about the humans in Chrono's team.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2008, 04:33:45 pm »
Besides they'd seen statues of him. Sure it didn't have all details but at least the long hair and the scythe should make them think.

You didn't catch what I said about the statue beforehand?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2008, 04:39:43 pm »
Besides they'd seen statues of him. Sure it didn't have all details but at least the long hair and the scythe should make them think.

Didn't you watch the 1000 AD map? The cathedral is gone. That means somewhere after 600 AD they entered the cathedral and wrecked it. And it'd make sense for Guardia to send some soldiers there to check it out after Leene had been held there.

Meushell

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2008, 11:49:43 pm »
I always got a kick out of doing the Rainbow Shell side quest with Magus in lead so then I get Leene to beg the King to store the rainbow shell on behalf of "Sir Magus' honor" 

Yeah, that is funny. Or for the people who talk about Magus as being a bad guy after he's in your team...if you renamed him, they use that name.

Prince Janus

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • What?? what do you want?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2008, 12:25:11 pm »

Didn't you watch the 1000 AD map? The cathedral is gone. That means somewhere after 600 AD they entered the cathedral and wrecked it. And it'd make sense for Guardia to send some soldiers there to check it out after Leene had been held there.

After yes. During, no.

as for 1000 AD, god knows. maybe they never noticed the statue till it was rubble.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2008, 12:32:27 pm »
Yeah, 400 years can change a lot geographically in the Chrono World...just look at Fiona's Forest (though that did have the help of Robo)...I bet the Mystics didn't employ the best contractors in creating the Cathedral either and it was laid to waste rather quickly after they were routed out of it...I bet it was the kind of place kids would come to throw rocks at, have sex or do drugs in and eventually burn the fucker down...

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2008, 12:41:15 pm »
Well, even if you put him with Frog into your party and do Cyrus' Ghost side quest, there won't be any special dialogue.
Although Frog will refer to Magus before Cyrus' grave.
XD

Actually, I noticed in the SNES version that when you have Magus in your party when Frog talks to Cyrus he looks to the right with his cape wrapped around him. I thought it was odd TBH. *shrug*

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2008, 04:40:42 pm »
Didn't Magus do the same thing in the CTDS ending, when he's confronted by the other Magus? "Hah, if I put my face behind this cape for a moment, no one will know it's me!"

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 11:29:14 am »
Anyway you'd still think they'd recognize Magus from the statues

What statues? There was one in the Cathedral, which was in reality a secret hive of scum and villainy. Not many people would have even realized there was more to the Cathedral than they saw upon entering; everything except the pews were hidden.

And the others statues? Where are they?

You'll also note that Dorino is missing from the 1000 AD map. Did someone enter the town and wreck it? Or did time merely take its toll on an abandoned location? Or does it still exist and just wasn't put on the map? I'd certainly home there are some farms in the Chronoverse, despite the fact we never see any.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 11:37:06 am »
Yeah the difference being we never see those farms. A location being on the map at one point and having disappeared in the other point in time means something happened to it. Dorina didn't matter crap to 600 AD as well (except for a small scene involving Toma and the mayor, or something), so why did they put it on 600 AD and not 1000 AD?

Also like I said before Glenn saw Magus before he retreated to the woods. It's not impossible he spread rumors around about how Magus looked.

Anyway, I've already said what I had to say. The people at Guardia castle reacting that way even when Magus is in the party (Magus talking to guard: "You got a lucky stroke! Defeated Magus, eh?") either proves lazy programming or everyone in the castle going nuts. Or they had truly never seen him and didn't think it a bit strange that some dude with long white hair and red eyes and cape and big pointy ears comes in to their castle to hang around.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 11:51:16 am »
Hah, maybe he really needs a golden mask.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 12:37:41 pm »
Yeah the difference being we never see those farms. A location being on the map at one point and having disappeared in the other point in time means something happened to it. Dorina didn't matter crap to 600 AD as well (except for a small scene involving Toma and the mayor, or something), so why did they put it on 600 AD and not 1000 AD?

Curiously, you'll note that it looks to be on the 1999AD Map (at least, there is a dome where one would expect to find it).

The point being, there are other ways for things to disappear from a map than being actively destroyed by civilization.

"Lazy" programing is the real world answer; the Chronoverse answer is not so clear.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 01:17:45 pm »
The DS version should have added different NPC dialog after choosing Magus. You'd think that with it being the "canon" choice, they'd do more with it.