Author Topic: CT DS - Needed Items [Contribute Inside]  (Read 42122 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
CT DS - Needed Items [Contribute Inside]
« on: November 24, 2008, 07:21:14 am »
SPOILERS

Here are things that we need to complete coverage of Chrono Trigger DS and facilitate the fan community's analysis of the game.

1. Dialogue Script - IN PROGRESS

We need to rip the script of the game if we ever hope to conclusively track down all relevant changes. Having a script will also facilitate discussion as the meaning of statements regarding the new content can be debated. The script will be presented in a dual Japanese / English text file, at which point work would begin on a spreadsheet containing columns for the original Japanese, the new Japanese, the original English, the Tom Slattery CT DS English, and finally the KWhazit retranslation, which will probably continue to serve as the canonical standard. The text script will be posted to GameFAQs as soon as it's ready.

Currently, Vehek is experimenting with script dumping.

2. Promo Music Rip - COMPLETE

Someone should use EAC to make a lossless rip of the two-disc promotional music CD that came with the game, and also scan the cover artwork and disc. It will be put in the Chrono Series Music Archive.

3. DBT / Time's Eclipse - CONFIRMED SAME

Shinja has confirmed that Time's Eclipse is the Darkness Beyond Time.

Someone needs to compare the Japanese for "Darkness Beyond Time" as used in Chrono Cross to the Japanese for "Time's Eclipse" as used in CT DS to determine if they're the same area and Tom Slattery simply chose a different translation than Richard Honeywood. This has a LOT of plot bearing, so the sooner the better!

4. Guides - IN PROCESS OF ACQUISITION FROM GAMEFAQS

Not for GameFAQs, but for Compendium coverage the new content in general. We need healthy guides to the Lost Sanctum and the Dimensional Distortion dungeons, as well as the Arena of the Ages (which should include a monster evolution chart). Work is going on here and the results will be posted at the Chrono Trigger DS encyclopedia page.

5. Item List

I guess this could fall under script, but a list of all the items and they're attributes could help us separate and present the new content well. Even I seemed to miss a few new items in my run-through.

6. Graphics

For purposes of encyclopedia presentation and discussion, we need good images of the game's graphics -- especially of the Dream Devourer, including images of it without Schala, with Schala, in its natural element in the Time's Eclipse, and perhaps one with Schala standing inside. We'll also need sprite sheets for the new monsters, like the Smidge, and the new palette-swapped monsters. I'm sure there's some easy way to take the sprite sheet of an original Omnicron and apply a palette from CT DS to simplify things, but it's not my forte.

7. Analysis

The analysis HQ is at this thread.

8. Commercial

Someone can translate this DS commercial (what's Magus saying?): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=695wPKH3ihk

9. Dream Devourer / Time Devourer JP Comparison - DIFFERENT

We should find out if the Dream Devourer and Time Devourer have the same JP name.

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php?topic=6314.msg119073#msg119073

~~~~

More will be added as needed.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 02:04:19 am by ZeaLitY »

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: CT DS - Needed Items [Contribute Inside]
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 10:06:48 am »
I've been working on the changed items and locations, but I'm missing a lot of equipment due to trying to rush through the game. So if anyone can fill in those gaps...

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:10:18 pm »
I'll also help with the items.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 05:03:35 pm »
1. Dialogue Script - IN PROGRESS

We need to rip the script of the game if we ever hope to conclusively track down all relevant changes. Having a script will also facilitate discussion as the meaning of statements regarding the new content can be debated. The script will be presented in a dual Japanese / English text file, at which point work would begin on a spreadsheet containing columns for the original Japanese, the new Japanese, the original English, the Tom Slattery CT DS English, and finally the KWhazit retranslation, which will probably continue to serve as the canonical standard. The text script will be posted to GameFAQs as soon as it's ready.

Currently, Vehek is experimenting with script dumping.

Please PM me when the script is done and where to find it. I would love to read it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:01:22 pm by Shadow D. Darkman »

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »
Speaking about items, anyone know what currently the best equipment is for Chrono, Magus, and Marle? I got the Dreamweaver and Master's Crown for Chrono, but haven't found any armor for him yet that's better then the Moonbeam Armor. For Magus I only found the Shadowpume Robe, apart from that I didn't find any equipment for him better then his equipment from Ozzie's Lair. For Ayla I found nada, nothing better then Prism Helmet + Prism Dress

I would love to know if there is any better equipment out there for these characters

RevenantThings

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 06:12:51 pm »
Saurian Leathers have a higher Defense rating than Moonbeam Armor, and they increase Strength and Speed +3 - though by the time you get the armor, Crono's Speed and Strength should be **. You get it in the Lost Sanctum.

The only thing for Ayla I found was the Valor Crest. It's one of the last rewards in the Lost Sanctum and is an accessory that boosts critical hit rate and adds a 50% counter rate.

Magus has two scythes, one in the Lost Sanctum, one in the Dimensional Vortex that has 4x critical hit damage. The latter is found in the Dimensional Vortex, in the Present dungeon. There's a Strength Capsule that's sort of hidden - reach it and go south into what appears to be a pointless hole. But actually, it takes you to a hidden area where you can get his weapon.

Dragonhead (helmet) gives higher attack/strength ratings, but lower defense/speed than his Gloom armor. But like Crono, Saurian Leathers is better in every way.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 06:51:08 pm »
Well I finished Lost Sanctum 65,000,000 BC but no Saurian Leathers or w/e yet. Most stuff you find there is crappy btw. Marle's Stardust Bow for example is worse then the old Valkyrye bow. Wtf?

shinja

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 07:18:32 pm »
Where exactly is the "Darkness Beyond Time" mentioned in Chrono Cross?  I searched the script quickly and all I found was Marle's line at Opassa Beach:

"A new species is about to be born on this planet -- an alien life-form even more evolved than the old Lavos! At the darkness beyond time, the weakened Schala came under the influence of Lavos, and the two became one entity. It is now up to you, the one whom the Frozen Flame has chosen as its '"arbiter"'... You alone can decide how the new Lavos, which has encaged Schala within it, will evolve from here! Your actions will determine whether in the future all time is devoured by Lavos, sending the world into everlasting death. Belthasar foresaw this was going to happen, in his world in the year 2300. And he was determined to prevent it from happening, no matter what it took..."

Unfortunately, there's no equivalent to that line in the Japanese.  I think it's a clarifying line added to the English translation of that part.  Marle goes straight from the first sentence, about the new lifeform evolved from Lavos into talking about Serge's ability to decide how/whether Lavos evolves (because he's the arbiter of the Frozen Flame).  She does mention that Lavos has swallowed Schala, but she never makes a mention of where this new being is.

The individual party member's lines about the gate consistently refer to it as a gate to the "darkness of time" just like in the English translation.  I don't think the word for "darkness" there in the Japanese ("yami") could be translated as eclipse.  Although, obviously, darkness and eclipse have similar meanings.

I can try to put together a coherent retranslation of Marle's lines here, if you want.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 07:27:55 pm »
Shinja, you know Japanese?

A hearty welcome to you! We need translation skills all over the place.

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:29:16 pm »
Here's a screenshot with "Time's Eclipse" in Japanese.

shinja

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 07:31:49 pm »
Here's a screenshot with "Time's Eclipse" in Japanese.

Yeah, the second option there just says, "Darkness of Time".  It's the same thing all the character's say when referring to the gate.

Here's Kid's line about the gate:

Kid
「時の闇につながる、最後の扉。
とうとう、この時がきちまったな。
オレは逃げないぜ!

Notice the first three characters are the same (after the opening quotation mark).
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:36:54 pm by shinja »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 08:31:40 pm »
Woah! Does this mean that Time's Eclipse is actually the Darkness Beyond Time?

I sense the need for a reretranslation.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 08:43:13 pm »
Woah! Does this mean that Time's Eclipse is actually the Darkness Beyond Time?

I sense the need for a reretranslation.

That was kinda obvious from the start, it seems unlikely that he would shift from one dimension to yet another. Besides, if it wasn't, it would be a mystery what "Time's Eclipse" would be.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2008, 09:41:48 pm »
Welcome aboard, Shinja!  :D

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2008, 11:40:06 pm »
So, it's the Darkness Beyond Time, or Darkness of Time...

What the hell, Tom? Richard Honeywood had it right. If this is true, then depending on the canonical status of Crono's visit (versus the canonicity of the events), the Darkness Beyond Time MAY exist for all dimensions, which brings up the probabilistic problem of applying infinity to the chance of a Time Devourer forming. Still, under the interpretation that it is simply a version of our beloved Magus and the Chrono team doesn't really visit in canon (especially since Lavos has to be defeated for the Dream / Time Devourer to exist), perhaps we can keep it one DBT per dimension (except one for both Another and Home, probably).

Still, what's with that translation? Yeesh. The only other horrible line I noticed was Magus's "Lavos has guided evolution" thing, which was misleading from the Woolsey days.

Edit: I don't have the original Japanese with me, but can anyone go ahead and compare Dream Devourer to Cross's Time Devourer? If they're homogenous, then yech, someone's going to pay in the US localization team.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:41:55 pm by ZeaLitY »