Enhasa Halls - Chrono Series Analysis > Chrono Trigger DS Analysis

New DS ending, did it really happen? Canon discussion

(1/5) > >>

radicalblues:
I'm opening this thread for some questions that rised in the other recent topics, and don't really dwell well into the discussión. This topic is not to discuss timelines or identities or whatever. Rather, to discuss the authenticity of Canon storyline for the new DS ending, linking the events directly to CC, or if it was just rather a peek that Kato decided to throw in.

SPOILERS, OBVIOUSLY

The New DS Ending, How to get it
- You beat the game normally. You kill Lavos, and you see the PSX FMV where Crono and Marle marry, Lucca finds Kid, etc, and of course, the fall of Guardia post 1000 AD.
- After beating the game, new distortion dungeons appear in 1000 AD. This is on the same file, not New Game +.
- You find Dalton in one of those dungeons too, who talks about overthrowing Guardia.
- The Time's Eclipse appears on the bucket at The End of Time.
- You find another Magus at Time's Eclipse (please read this topic for discussion on that).
- You see the Dream Devourer.
- The Dream Devourer devours the other Magus' memories and dreams, leaving him as a new shell persona.
- What happens to the party is unknown.

Now, there can be two implications on this. One is, all of these events actually happened, Crono and the others met the Dream Devourer, then got sent back to 1000 AD with or without memories, Crono and Marle married, Lucca adopted Kid, fall of Guardia (them knowing about Dalton or not), or the other possibility... the party never met Dalton, never met the Dream Devourer, but this other Magus guy did met the Dream Devourer, and the party being there was just for letting the player see these events. In short:

It being canon:
- Crono and the others knew about Dalton wanting to overthrow Guardia.
- Crono and the others met the Dream Devourer.
- The other Magus gets his memories erased.
- Crono and the others either had their memories of these events erased, or remember everything.
- Crono and Marle marry, Lucca adopts Kid, Guardia falls.

It being non canon:
- Crono and the others never met Dalton.
- Crono and the others never met the Dream Devourer.
- The other Magus gets his memories erased.
- Crono and the others either won't remember anything since it never happened, and was just a game device.
- Crono and Marle marry, Lucca adopts Kid, Guardia falls.

I for one sustain that it's non canon, since it's mysteriously AFTER the normal ending... where all your party members scatter to their respective eras. There seem to be no point of re-union in 1000 AD after defeating Lavos with all portals active and them jumping into the bucket again... I think this was just a game device to include some extra material and let the player witness some story on the Time Devourer, explaining some about the fall of Guardia and Magus/Schala in the process.

Sorry for my rushed redaction and ideas, but I think that's the basic concept. What's your position?

FaustWolf:
I think we're of the same position radicalblues, but I just want to clarify: you believe it's non-canon from the perspective that Crono & co. actually went through these things, but canon from the perspective that Future Magus actually confronted the Dream Devourer and Dalton actually led Porre to victory over Guardia, correct?

Boo the Gentleman Caller:
From my point of view...

What DID happen was Magus finally reaches the Darkness Beyond Time, confronts Schala and the Dream Devourer, only to be told "it's all vain".  I also think it's canon that Dalton is the one who travels to Porre and helps shape Porre into the ability to destroy Guardia.  However, when, where, and how Dalton does that is still left vague and open to interpretation.

As for "did Crono and company" also travel to the Darkness Beyond Time and meet Schala and the Dream Devourer?  My answer?  No more than any of the other non-canon endings.

Acacia Sgt:
My opinion remains as it is: The Crono and company who fought the Dream Devourer and the ones who fought Lavos are two different versions. They did fought the being, but they aren't the same who fought Lavos.

Dark Serge:
How can you say for sure they fight the DD AFTER everyone goes back to their timelines? By your logic, Chrono's Mom should also have disappeared, which she has not. She's still in the house. Moreover, you can only access the DBT before you defeat Lavos. After you defeated Lavos the Vortexes become available, yes, but once they do you have to load your game where you haven't defeated Lavos yet to actually enter them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version