Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS - Reactions (Spoilers)  (Read 6105 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger DS - Reactions (Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2008, 06:29:30 am »
Yeah...I'll start the next Analysis Review for everything pre-CT DS. Then in a month or so, we'll do an analysis review of CT DS. Er, wait...at any rate, the Rise of Porre article is being retired.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2008, 08:41:55 am »
Meh DS Mode still allows you to use buttons, but it's just as easy to navigate as classic mode. I use DS mode, but I never use the stylus

Hmm... I might do that instead. Thanks for the tip.

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2008, 04:58:03 pm »
I managed to beat the game in New Game+ and got the Dream Team ending. Many of the staff members were ever so happy to share that there in fact will be a new game. A few of them directly stated that they will see you in another game. If you haven't gotten this ending, I suggest you do so now. The only thing they didn't do was throw the title of the game in it.

Also...
Forgive me for laughing at the dialogue, but I couldn't help but laugh at this...
Cyrus: "You are a better SWORD than I."
That was said on Zenan bridge when Cyrus wanted Glenn to be a knight.

Teh Mick

• Earthbound (+15)
  • The KDE developer
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2008, 05:17:06 pm »
My (first) run of Chrono Trigger DS was my best CT game ever.

The release is great, but I agree with everyone. The Lost Sanctum SUCKS !! I will never do that dungeon again. The many roundtrips in Mount Emerald is just painful.

I have found the Dimensional Vortex interessing, I liked the concept of old dungeons linked in complete randomness. The new ending was good, but I would have like more revelation to link it more to Chrono Cross.

Nexus

• Porrean (+50)
  • Choose your own path.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 08:16:29 pm »
I'm not sure if any of you got this dialogue but Magus said something quite interesting when I first entered the Lost Sanctum.

Magus: I’ve not seen this place before
Is this a world apart from our own?
Perhaps a different dimension altogether…
There may be some value in the knowing.

I'm not sure if that means the Lost Sanctum is where the Dragonians originated from but it may be a possibility. Though it was never made apparent that there was any relevant connections to the Chrono Cross Dragonians.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2008, 08:54:39 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out Nexus. Is it possible the Lost Sanctum is a peak at the Reptite timeline?

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2008, 08:55:27 pm »
Thanks for pointing that out Nexus. Is it possible the Lost Sanctum is a peak at the Reptite timeline?

No, if that would be true there's no way they would act so nice to humans.

Belaith

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • I ain't never scared
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2008, 10:56:31 pm »
Although I've never played Cross I could try and explain that. Crono disappears after the fall of Guardia, right? That leaves the Reptites in the Lost Sanctum helpless. The most recent portal to the Lost Sanctum is in 600 A.D. That leaves the reptites 400+ years without help, ultimately causing their distrust for humans.

Nexus

• Porrean (+50)
  • Choose your own path.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2008, 11:26:42 pm »

Probably not since the Reptites in the Lost Sanctum haven't seemed to have changed at all. It could be before they started developing their type of close to nature civilization. They seem to be at a more tribal stage in the Lost Sanctum.

Also I noticed the Reptites in the Lost Sanctum seem to have never encountered humans. So it could be dimension where the humans either never developed enough to gain intelligence or were defeated and forgotten. Also there is a possibility that this group of Reptites just never met the humans in their dimension. Such as one developing on one continent and the other on another.

This may have been a precursor to the development of the Reptite timeline.

YbrikMetaknight

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • I strike fast and disappear for years at a time.
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Compendium
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 01:32:35 am »
Not reading the thread, as I'm not yet halfway through the game (just beat Slash and Flea the other night, and haven't played since because I'm splitting my free time with Zelda: Twilight Princess and other, non-gaming stuff), but I just wanted to say: Damn, I forgot how good this game is. I can't wait to get all the way through and try out the new stuff. You can bet I'll be back here whenever I do get to that point. I've got a plane ride and a trip home for a few days coming up in two weeks, and I may stretch out my completion to give myself some time with the game on that trip.

But really, I've fallen in love with the game all over again. So good.

The Entity

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2008, 05:58:29 am »
I enjoyed CTDS a lot. I had mixed feelings about the Lost Sanctum. It was fun, and kept me busy for awhile, but I will admit, it did get a tad bit tiring running up and down Mount Emerald, over and over again. The Dimensional Vortexes were cool, too.

The main disappointment for me was the inability to kill off Dalton once and for all. :(

I was also a bit disappointed that it was impossible to defeat the Dream Devourer (understandable, though).

On the whole, though, I thought the good far outweighed the bad. I loved the new script, but I also missed Woolsey's original one. I, too, hope for another Chrono game.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2008, 08:14:03 am »
Don't worry mate, you haven't seen the last of Dalton. I can assure you that.

Ken-san

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2008, 09:56:42 pm »
Wee! I loved the game! It was refreshing, at first there was a bit of nostalgia since I wasn't too fond of losing lines like "Save money, it'll do ya good" but after a while I noticed that things were explained much better in this translation so I liked it better. I hate Mount Emerald with a passion, everything else of the Lost Sanctum wasn't so bad. I liked that thanks to the Lost Sanctum Magus got a few more lines.
Magus: You'd dare call me an ape? You'd better learn your place, and quickly. *takes out scythe*
Um... The vortex dungeons were... Strange. But then again, at least Magus got a few more lines.
Magus: It is of no consequence to me whether you are Crono or a fake. Raise your weapon against me and you sign away your life. *blasts the Crono copy to eternal nothingness using Dark Matter*
And the story shown in Time's Eclipse... I believe it happens after the defeat of Lavos but before Crono goes to see the king, and I'll keep believing that until someone can prove that it is impossible for it to be so.
All in all it was a great game, I've got no complains whatsoever, except that Mount Emerald is the most annoying part of the game, ever.

Umaro

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2008, 11:16:02 pm »
Just finished CTDS earlier this afternoon; it was all I expected and more.

The new translation was great. It made the game feel more mature and polished, while still maintaining the lightheartedness of the original translation. My only complaint is the "fiend" thing. I don't get why they can't say "demon."

Maybe my memory is foggy on the PSX version, but the DS cutscenes seemed to be implemented more smoothly. I recall the PSX scenes being used awkwardly, like they were more of distraction. The DS version seemed more fluid, and of course, the elimination of the graphical lag were a Godsend.

For the most part, the touch screen features were a welcome addition. Being able to point to the actions you want to execute instead of scrolling through was accurate and quick. Moving with the touch screen however... was iffy. It wasn't awful, but it could be spastic at times, and with the d-pad being so much tighter and easier, there's little reason to use the touch-screen movement unless you really just want to try something different.

The Lost Sanctum was mildly annoying. Many of the quests were either recycled from other sidequests in the game or are annoying fetch quests. The rewards were worth it, though, and the ultimate outcome of all the work was pleasing. Still, the very existence of the Lost Sanctum seemed out of place. Though since it's a sort of spacial distortion, I guess it's kind of supposed to be that way.

The Dimensional Vortex was much more interesting and more relevent. Storywise, it raised some questions, but it also answered some. Gameplaywise, it made for some very interesting dungeoncrawling, borrowing elements from earlier areas while introducing some new ones,

The optional boss was a nice extra challenge and also raised and answered some story questions. After a month of waiting for CTDS and avoiding message threads with the title "Optional Boss Fight!*SPOILERS*," even though I suspected all along who it was(and was correct), finally seeing the optional boss was quite a rush. The fight itself was... I think "short and sweet" describes it accurately. As opposed to the endurance-like battle with Lavos, the optional boss is much faster paced and more threatening. Then it's over as suddenly as it begins.

I'd like to comment on the Arena of Ages, but I've yet to do much with it. I've fought a few battles, and it's mildly entertaining. Ultimately, it doesn't seem worth it. I can see it being fun playing against human players, but CPU opponents leave something to be desired.

All in all, great additions to an already great game.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2008, 11:26:22 pm »
To me the Lost Sanctum was okay. Got everyone from levels 40 to 50 on average from all the fighting done.

Mount Emerald, although having to climb up and down many times, didn't really bothered me. Maybe because I unconsiously redirected it to the Dire Rats I HATED to fight every time went to the mountain and back. But why would I? Is not as if the constant battles with those rats were what make me focus more on them than on the mountian itself when it came to placing the blame of who make the whole trip tiresome.

I was surprised when I reached the top of the tower, though. Never believed those idols would turn out to be your party members used in the fight against the Archeodemons (or whatever they are called).

I have yet to visit the Vortexes, I'm currently doing the sidequests before going through the Black Omen so it will take a while.