Author Topic: Chrono Trigger DS Analysis HQ (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)  (Read 135222 times)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
Re: Chrono Trigger DS New Ending Analysis (Spoiler Spoiler, of course)
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2008, 10:01:02 pm »
I cant take any analysis that says Magus is Guile seriously.

Clearly Guile is reminiscent of Magus, but no more than in the way the Glenn is of Frog, and Leah is of Ayla. There is NO evidence that they are the same person. The fact that Schala does nothing to acknowledge Guile when the Time Devourer is defeated proves it, at least for me. Also, clearly Magus is who she is saying she will search for at the end of Cross. She knows where Serge is, why would she have to search for him?

Kato didn't even know Guile was Magus until sometime after Chrono Cross

what do you mean he didnt know? he knows exactly what is going on. He has never said that Guile is Magus, all he has said is that Magus was originally going to be in the game, and that he was replaced by Guile because Kato didnt want to further complicate the story.

You're saying there's no evidence for this and that, but you're claiming things that could be nonsense as well.

Obviously she's searching for Magus huh? Forget she sent Serge back to his own dimension/home world whatever? The dimensions unified, so Schala also went back to wherever she should be according to the dimension. It makes perfect sense for her to go search the man that saved her, instead of the guy that was obsessed with revenge and never really seemed to care about her all that much.

But let's not get into that, cause we won't know for sure until they canonize it. If they do at all.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2008, 10:04:01 pm »
It makes perfect sense for her to go search the man that saved her, instead of the guy that was obsessed with revenge and never really seemed to care about her all that much.
She certainly seems to understand Magus' care for her when she speaks to him at the end of CTDS.

(Secretly suspects art_garfunkel is actually Masato Kato in disguise).

Sorry, I'm just paranoid. :D

I've actually gone so far as to check the Compendium member list for users with the names "Masato" and "Kato," but there were none.

You think I would be caught that easily? :)

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2008, 10:12:39 pm »
It makes perfect sense for her to go search the man that saved her, instead of the guy that was obsessed with revenge and never really seemed to care about her all that much.
She certainly seems to understand Magus' care for her when she speaks to him at the end of CTDS.

I've actually gone so far as to check the Compendium member list for users with the names "Masato" and "Kato," but there were none.

Yeah and she also makes it really clear to him he should give up on her and move on with his life. I see no reason for her to go search for someone she basically told to f*ck off.

art_garfunkel

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2008, 10:16:37 pm »

Yeah and she also makes it really clear to him he should give up on her and move on with his life. I see no reason for her to go search for someone she basically told to f*ck off.
She didnt tell him to fuck off, she told him that he was not capable of saving her, and he would be best off not trying.

I do agree that these details are too vague to say that she was definitely referring to Janus at the end of Cross, but I think it fits the words and facts nicely.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2008, 10:22:03 pm »

She didnt tell him to fuck off, she told him that he was not capable of saving her, and he would be best off not trying.

I do agree that these details are too vague to say that she was definitely referring to Janus at the end of Cross, but I think it fits the words and facts nicely.

Ofcourse she didn't tell him to "f*ck off" but the end result is basically the same. But yeah it's not much use arguing about it now

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2008, 10:43:46 pm »
maggiekarp's drawing is total win and will appear in CHRONO COMIX with her permission.

FW, can I modify your post at a later date to turn it into the OFFICIAL DS ANALYSIS SPEARHEAD post? I've got a lot of concerns of my own that I'll get to adding soon.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2008, 10:44:47 pm »
I'd like this better if, instead of going emo and erasing his memories, Magus decided he'd find a way to break her free, discovers her identity as Kid, and then they go off having merry adventures as thieves while he tries to get her memory back. Then they meet the musician Serge, and although Magus doesn't realize it yet, Lavos is much like the Mandora Monster in that the only way to break one free is with... LOOOOOOOOOOOVE~!

Also you may put that comic in Chrono Comix, of course.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2008, 10:46:56 pm »
I'd like this better if, instead of going emo and erasing his memories, Magus decided he'd find a way to break her free, discovers her identity as Kid, and then they go off having merry adventures as thieves while he tries to get her memory back. Then they meet the musician Serge, and although Magus doesn't realize it yet, Lavos is much like the Mandora Monster in that the only way to break one free is with... LOOOOOOOOOOOVE~!

Also you may put that comic in Chrono Comix, of course.

Yeah, I also like Radical Dreamers better in that aspect.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2008, 10:47:51 pm »
Sure, go ahead ZeaLitY. I'll also add Dark Serge's observation that the nature of Time's Eclipse v. The Darkness Beyond Time needs to be addressed. I totally overlooked that in my original post.

EDIT: I edited MK's post to underline the comic link. I missed it until now, and no Chrono fan should have to suffer the horrible fate of being denied Dalton's sudden uber-ness.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 11:04:27 pm by FaustWolf »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2008, 10:49:14 pm »
Dalton is just too beautiful in the last panel. I'm going to add him to the avatars somehow. I've...

Just become a DIEHARD FAN OF DALTON

Edit: Wait, their death isn't totally official :( I've actually heard a great new theory that Dalton simply kept them busy long enough for Porre troops to basically burn Guardia Castle and Truce to the ground. Then perhaps he ran away snickering.

Dark Serge

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Now, let love bleed...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2008, 11:01:37 pm »
Dalton is just too beautiful in the last panel. I'm going to add him to the avatars somehow. I've...

Edit: Wait, their death isn't totally official :( I've actually heard a great new theory that Dalton simply kept them busy long enough for Porre troops to basically burn Guardia Castle and Truce to the ground. Then perhaps he ran away snickering.

I know isn't Dalton just awesome

And yeah their deaths are never confirmed, only that Dalton caused the fall of Guardia

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2008, 11:23:17 pm »

MAGGIEKARP SHOULD DRAW THIS

Christ, I actually had something to say in this thread and forgot.

radicalblues

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Guardian (+100)
  • It's not easy being green
    • View Profile
    • X Radical Dreamers
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2008, 11:54:26 pm »
HOW do you obtain the New Ending? Under what circumstances?
After moonlight parade? Before? As an alternate to it?
I guess that it still happens in 1000 AD, that's for sure. So...

1) Normal Lavos Defeat

2) The whole party goes to Time's Eclipse. They find Dalton here? Was it before?

3) They find Future Magus who says that's the future where "we've" defeated Magus. Apparently he's referring to "we" as "us" with the party, but

4) Future Magus later says that he doesn't know if they're from the same dimension, basically.

5) Future Magus says that the Dream Devourer feeds from memories, dreams, etc.

6) Schala reveals, in a very dramatic moment, that her own feelings of sadness and wanting to erase everything (she did had a pretty shitty life) were what was causing the Dream Devourer to consume everything.

7) Magus tries to convince her out, but Schala knows he won't be able to help her just with power, or words. It does seem like she's under Lavos' parastic influence (wants to consume stuff), but she still has some control.

8) Schala uses her Dream Devourer power to devour Magus' memories and dreams, so he could start anew and quite possibly have another chance to help her. Magus does NOT commit mental suicide, his lines don't say "lol I'll reset myself" or "lol I was pwned bye memories", he's still as dramatic as his "if my destiny is to die, I must simply laugh" or "so be it", accepting what was coming to him as a challenge.

9) Schala also erases the party's memory from these events, or the party just was never there and it was a plot device ending to show Magus' and the Devourer's story. It doesn't make sense just have Magus get that threat, and have the rest of the party told "k no prob you guys can just go away".
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 12:02:23 am by radicalblues »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2008, 12:44:07 am »
radicalblues, you obtain the new ending by overcoming the trials in the three Dimensional Vortices. They appear in 12,000BC, 1000AD, and 2300AD. The 12,000BC vortex pits you against clone Marle, the 1000AD vortex pits you against DALTON and clone Crono, and the 2300AD vortex pits you against clone Lucca and her...eggterminator.

Once you've defeated each of the clones, head to the End of Time and Gaspar notes that weird stuff is happening in the bucket that leads to 1999AD. Turns out it can now lead to Time's Eclipse, and the rest is now history. However, I'm not sure what causes the Dimensional Vortices to appear now. Dark Serge is the resident expert there.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2008, 12:55:15 am »
I don't see how would they fight the Dream Devourer before defeating Lavos itself. So, it must be the latter of number 9 in radicalblues' list.