Author Topic: Chrono Trigger - Schala Project (Community Project)  (Read 39004 times)

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
Re: Chrono Trigger - Schala Project (Community Project)
« Reply #765 on: April 14, 2009, 10:51:40 am »
Right, and thankfully we've figured out most of the new events that'll have to take place. Obviously the coders have the harder part, but for the most part this project and topic have relied on Schala as an 8th character, with a full story, sidequest, weapons, techs, and combos. However, the 8th character project is the template needed for any project that wants to make an 8th character, whether it's a playable Glenn, Schala, or anyone else.

That new font is officially my favorite, since it's so reminiscent of the original. Well done vivify, well done, but will it still give us the amount of space we desire with a new font?

vivify93

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 14, 2009, 02:35:19 pm »
I think the weapon/Shield Icons will remain the same but I like that font.
I took this from a minor hack of mine, actually--I didn't intend for the weapon/shield icons to change. I was just too lazy to get the old ones back and paste them in. XD

It takes up more room and looks easy to read I believe.
Well, to be honest, this is the 8x8 fixed width font. Y'know, the one you have to use at the naming screen and such because the 8x8 VWF won't support those? I could get a better mockup of how it'd look with the VWF if you'd like.

That new font is officially my favorite, since it's so reminiscent of the original.
Uh... It's just a bold version of the CTDS font, actually...

Well done vivify, well done, but will it still give us the amount of space we desire with a new font?
Since it's the fixed-width font, I should hope so!

Oh, if any of you are looking at that "Single Tech" text, don't--that's a leftover of the original. In other words, I don't know how to change widths in the big font. XD

There. That's what it should look like with the VWF. (Don't mind the character names--they're an in-joke with a friend. >_>)

BTW, Justin, I think you messed up in the VWF patch. At least, the one with the CTDS equipment/item/tech names. For Magus's scythes, it uses Schala's knife names.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:14:58 pm by vivify93 »

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #767 on: April 14, 2009, 06:04:29 pm »
Bold version of the CTDS font, eh? I wouldn't have guessed, but it's nice nonetheless.

Oh and I think it's showing Schala's knife names cause Schala was gonna replace Magus, so her weapons needed to replace his too. I think.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 14, 2009, 06:09:18 pm »
I really hope I didn't put that into one of the VWF patches -____-

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 14, 2009, 06:19:45 pm »
I see I see...makes more sense and it looks great!  Keep me posted!

vivify93

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 14, 2009, 09:03:07 pm »
I really hope I didn't put that into one of the VWF patches -____-
Yeah, you did, unfortunately. Magus was equipped with Schala's Jeweled Knife. Well, the scythe icon was intact, but it said "Jeweled Knife."

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 14, 2009, 09:06:23 pm »
Fuck.  I'll have to fix that later ~_~

Chocobo_Fan

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Is there no salvation in all the world?
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 15, 2009, 08:09:33 pm »
Oh man. Really? That must have been...confusing. And embarrassing for Justin. -_-;

And honestly, the bolded CTDS font is...hm... I don't like it all that much, honestly... I like the other one that gave more space. The spacing also seems a bit odd - the spaces between letters look a little too big. But eh, whatever Justin wants to use.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 15, 2009, 08:15:10 pm »
I can always change it back to the original if needed.

vivify93

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 15, 2009, 08:48:55 pm »
And honestly, the bolded CTDS font is...hm... I don't like it all that much, honestly... I like the other one that gave more space. The spacing also seems a bit odd - the spaces between letters look a little too big. But eh, whatever Justin wants to use.
:picardno

It takes up the exact same amount of space as the original font. Geez...

This is the font my new one intends to replace:

<Picture taken from an unmodified Chrono Trigger SNES ROM. The font I intend to change is circled in a bold, red oval. The center has been left out of this oval so you can see the font I intend to change.>

Not the tiny variable-width font Justin pulled from Chrono Trigger DS. Not the new, large font I made. This font. The same font that Justin was forced to use on the monster names, "ITEM/WEAPON/HELMET/ARMOR/ACCESSORY" text, the naming screen, the character names, the "item count," (The number that shows up after the items. Looks like this ":82".) the "Who'll you replace?" screen, all numbers and text related to stats, and I believe the Configurations screen, but don't quote me on that.

This specific font is set at an 8 pixels by 8 pixels width and height. There is no way to change the widths of now on that fixed width 8 pixels by 8 pixels font. Both the bold Chrono Trigger DS font and this "Final Fantasy II SNES" font are the exact same width, as there is no way to change it.

In conclusion, yes, it will give us the space we need; being a fixed-width font, which cannot be changed, not even by Justin for the time being. Yes, it gives the exact same amount of space as the old one. I apologize if the spacing's odd--I barely modified the font at all, aside from making it bold.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:51:16 pm by vivify93 »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 15, 2009, 09:06:45 pm »
If we can get 16 letter item names into the game without the VWF routine stuff, then fuck yea I'm going to use that.  The VWF routine is really nice and all, but really, it's sluggish and bogs down.  I really don't like it too much but we're forced to use it right now.

vivify93

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 16, 2009, 02:12:14 am »
But you get it though? This font:

was intended to replace this font:

and just this font; not any others?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 28, 2009, 09:01:40 am »
Still on hiatus for 8thy to get done, but since we're waiting, I've been working on the Schala sheet a bit more.  No, I haven't added anything new, but I'm fixing up some sprites and stuff so hopefully it'll look better.

mav

• View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #778 on: April 28, 2009, 06:38:49 pm »
Good news. While you're on the hacking side of things, is there anything that needs re-visitation on our end? Script-wise, tech-wise, weapon-wise, etc?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 28, 2009, 08:31:51 pm »
From what's been done so far, I don't think anything has to be changed really.  Seems perfectly fine.