New game or CT follow-up?

I want a whole new game!
9 (23.7%)
More of Trigger!
6 (15.8%)
Bit of both!
23 (60.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: New Game or CT Sequel?  (Read 5827 times)

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: New Game or CT Sequel?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2009, 01:29:57 am »
How would a third Chrono game work anyway?

Chrono Trigger had time traveling

Chrono Cross had alternate dimensions

Chrono _____ has ???

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2009, 03:03:40 am »
In CC you could only travel to two of the dimensions though...And anyways, Radical Dreamers didn't focus on either so I don't think it's a necessity for the series.

Delta Dragon

• Creative Emeritus
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2009, 03:11:52 am »
How would a third Chrono game work anyway?

Chrono Trigger had time traveling

Chrono Cross had alternate dimensions

Chrono _____ has ???
How about both!  ...Okay maybe not.  That would just increase the confusion.  Oh, and V, I just have to say that I love your avatar.

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2009, 03:13:17 am »
In CC you could only travel to two of the dimensions though...And anyways, Radical Dreamers didn't focus on either so I don't think it's a necessity for the series.

Radical Dreams is kind of a spinoff though right?  I think it's more acceptable in that case.

Oh, and V, I just have to say that I love your avatar.

Which one?  It seems to change a lot.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 03:17:15 am by Sintu »

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2009, 03:23:00 am »
I don't know...It's not like when they made RD they went, "This isn't a sequel guys, just a spin-off"...Each game so far has started in a new timeline/dimension though, that's been consistent. Even Trigger starts out in the one with the Entity making its changes...

And, yeah, I've been doing the teaflower thing with my avy, so you'll have to be more specific.

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2009, 03:45:27 am »
I don't know...It's not like when they made RD they went, "This isn't a sequel guys, just a spin-off"...Each game so far has started in a new timeline/dimension though, that's been consistent. Even Trigger starts out in the one with the Entity making its changes...

And, yeah, I've been doing the teaflower thing with my avy, so you'll have to be more specific.

I dunno, I thought RD was intended to be a side story or something.  I guess I have no way of knowing what they were thinking when they made it.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2009, 03:59:58 am »
I don't see it as any more or less a side-story than Chrono Cross...They're both basically there to tie up the Schala storyline...In fact, in RD at least you get one of the original party members paling around with you...

Sintu

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2009, 04:29:00 am »
I don't see it as any more or less a side-story than Chrono Cross...They're both basically there to tie up the Schala storyline...In fact, in RD at least you get one of the original party members paling around with you...

I suppose.  RD just kinda feels that way to me.  Not exactly sure why.  I guess it doesn't really matter.

dream of the shore

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2009, 02:06:55 pm »
RD is just that now; a side story. When Kato first started working on it, he didn't even plan for it to be related to Chrono Trigger. He mentioned wanting to do a horror game, if I recall, but ditched that. By the time he finished it, he had tied it to the Chrono universe, but it wasn't meant to be referred to as the sequel. Kato seemed to do his damnedest to make sure that no one outside of Japan ever saw RD =P

I think possibly the next big thing in a Chrono game would be literal travel between worlds. Not dimensions, not necessarily time travel, but from one planet to another. The idea doesn't sound all that great as I'm say it, but it could happen. After all, when Lavos made his nest at Death Peak, there was several spawn. The final boss of CT and CC Lavos probably had its own mommy Lavos, that ultimately, if the party could somehow defeat the original one, they could save not just their planet, but many. I guess you could incorporate time travel too.

I donno, just me rambling...

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2009, 02:13:20 pm »
Kato seemed to do his damnedest to make sure that no one outside of Japan ever saw RD =P

Well, it was released on a system add-on that just wasn't available outside of Japan...After CC was made, it wouldn't really make much sense to release RD...and he said that he felt it just wasn't his best work. I don't think that changes the fact that it was a sequel though.

Metal Gear Flaccid

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Get the heck out of here, you nerd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2009, 01:34:58 pm »
I'd prefer a follow-up, myself. Being a relative newcomer to the series, (having purchased the DS game and Chrono Cross in the past few months), even though Cross has its messy points, I find it a more interesting follow-up than a full-on sequel/conclusion. The nebulous concept of Space-Time is too wide and all-encompassing to follow the events of only a few specific persons. Chrono Trigger wraps up the threads enough for most characters, and Cross ties up the few loose ends left. In fact, even though it is a great trio of games, I see no need for a direct continuation of anything in the individual stories. What I am saying is, if you do make a "sequel," perhaps focus on completely different characters and plot points. A new time. Maybe a new universe. Follow the Dragon Quest/Final Fantasy model: tie the new games together with only a the core essences intact. Drop Lavos, drop Schala, drop Crono. Keep the time travel or the parallel dimensions, but maybe introduce new physics or time-related ideas. What I'm saying is: if you go on making sequels, the series will wither up and die after a few more games. There's no way you can continue with just a few characters and more and more stories with the scale of the series's core concepts.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:04 pm »
While I agree with your idea mostly, MGF...There are still a few loose ends in the series left...Magus, Dalton, the specifics of the Fall of Guardia, Schala and/or Kid post-dimensional merge, and the timeline post-merge in general....

Phillies64

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2009, 02:56:17 pm »
I'd like a new game, new characters with the same original dream team working on it, but to tie up all the loose ends, it'd have to have a lot of ties to CT and CC. We could have Dalton as an antagonist.  Time travel should be involved again. By traveling to the past we can witness the fall of Guardia. Perhaps even prevent this from happening depending on the games plot.

I was also thinking about the fates of Crono and co. They should show up somehow. Not right away, but through the course of the game. Maybe they're time displaced for some reason. Perhaps one of them can play the role of Gaspar, an act as your guide? I also think it makes sense for Kid to return. Perhaps she can join your party at some point. These are just a bunch of random ideas.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2009, 09:31:00 pm »
What about Serge, though?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2009, 09:43:13 pm »
He's stuck in Arni living out his simple fisherman's life with Leena as far as I'm concerned.